Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

Gstan30117@hotmail.com Posted at 2018-8-9 04:55
Epilog: This today from DJI.
Thanks for your patience.

That is great to hear!

No luck on finding the other one so far?
2018-8-9
Use props
Gstan30117
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228645 ft
United States

Koelkop Posted at 2018-8-9 11:19
That is great to hear!

No luck on finding the other one so far?

No, I keep searching but I may have to wait for winter when the leaves fall or a strong wind to knock it out of the trees.
2018-8-9
Use props
Gstan30117
lvl.3
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-8-9 10:01
Great!!  DJI acknowledging battery issues may be causing loss of AC.

Some great input in this thread, ultimately assisting a fellow pilot to a positive end.

I agree 100% about the input. I don't think I would have known what to look for if Koelkop had not shown me the battery records. I am indebted to all who tried to help me find my drone and find the cause for the shutdown.

Thank you every one.
2018-8-9
Use props
Gstan30117
lvl.3
United States

The wind, according to my weather station, was mostly out of the SE that day so I have been searching to the NW. As soon as it quits raining I will search the area you have indicated. Are those wind directions? And is that in my flight log?

Thanks
2018-8-9
Use props
Gstan30117
lvl.3
United States

Finale: DJI stood up and sent me a new drone and battery. I can't be more pleased with the service and warranty process. They worked in a professional and timely manner.

Thank you, DJI.

Gene H. Stanton
2018-9-19
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Awesome ending, congratulations and top marks to DJI
2018-9-19
Use props
MikeNoDroneX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 249829 ft
Brazil

For some reason unable to create a new thread so Ill use this one

I am extremely dissatisfied with DJI support so far
I've lost my mavic 2 weeks ago due to what I beleive to be an issue that should be covered by the warranty
Opened a case (took 3 days, asked for the same details 3 times)
Sent all logs 10 days ago.
Got multiple "Thank you for your patience reply, will take 2-3 days to get a real reply" when I checked up but no real response
The only real response I got 4 days ago was a recap of the flight log (duh, I can see it myself) without addressing the actual issues I brought up
Responded again with further questions and what I beleive the core reason for the loss, and got no reply yet

Hi
I disagree with your analysis.
1.        The wind was about 20-22 knots (~35-40kph). In sports mode the speed is around 65kph. I had no issues piloting it.
2.        As you can see from additional flight records that I’ve sent, on the days before I have flown in similar conditions or even stronger wind without any issues
3.        At T=08:13, the battery indicator was on 60% remaining. I assume you can see it in the flight record.
4.        Why did the app record ended at T08:13? On the RC I got a message saying ‘Remote controller connection error’.
This is a malfunction of your device and the #1 issue here that needs clarification
Did you examine the RC records that I’ve sent?
5.        Why did the aircraft did not return home? The kitesurfer I was filming saw it from the water going up to a high altitude after the video got stuck and the remote control stopped responding.
I am sure 60% battery is enough to go 223 meters in sport mode..
This is a malfunction of your device and the #2 issue here that needs clarification

Waiting for your response

Sent: Friday, September 21, 2018 4:53 AM
To: Mike Postel <mike@menahel4u.com>
Subject: CAS-2259099-X0C5M8 CRM:0409000006999

Dear Customer,

Thanks for your patience.

This is Dora from data analysis team, and I will be assisting you on this case from now on for related inquiries about data analysis.

For your claimed case CAS-2259099-X0C5M8, we have already finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:

1. The GPS signal was fine and the aircraft worked under Sport mode;
2. T=00:32, H=44.5 m, D=15.4 m, the app warned that there was high wind;
3. T=02:50, H=44.5 m, D=4.8 m, there was no pilot's input but the aircraft tilted 21.7 degree rightwards when it was hovering, which indicated that there was high wind from the east affecting the aircraft;
4. The aircraft could not return home normally as it was affected by the high wind, and the battery would be consumed fast;
5. T=08:13, H=9.3 m, D=223.5 m, the app record ended;
6. The takeoff point: -3.2374368 -39.2321324, the end point: -3.2355674 -39.2313686.

According to the analysis, the incident happened due to piloting the aircraft under improper flight environment. Please do not fly in high-wind condition.

Should you have more questions about the result of the data analysis, please reply to this email directly within 15 calendar days. Then we will contact you via email in 2-3 working days.

Thanks for your support. Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Dora
DJI Tech Support

Flew the dji mavic pro platinum today at the beach filming kitesurfing. This is the 3rd time im doinf it. 2 batteries each time. Wind around 20knots. Previously flew in higher winds without an issue.  Flew in sports mode more or less 400meter radius standing directly on the beach with the kitesurfer upwind of me. Height of 10 15 meters above water.

After about 10 minutes into the 2nd battery got a message on the screen 'remote control connection error'. Image was stuck. At the same time aircraft went up to 30+meters as seen visually by the kitesurfer. Pressed the home button on the remote itself several times. Tried restarting the phone and the remote. Checked the usb. Nothhing. The remote at some point showed on its display height of 68 meters and distance of 200 meters. Tried returnong it manually. Distance changed but wasnt consistant. At some point  height showed zero and thats it. Guess it drowned.
2018-9-24
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

MikeNoDroneX Posted at 2018-9-24 06:00
For some reason unable to create a new thread so Ill use this one

That sucks about the drone and that DJI will not do a repair. It's pretty rare to see DJI do anything under warranty if the drone itself is gone even if it wasn't user error. Not that it helps but you was in an uphill battle either way.

As far as not being able to make your own post, They have a policy here where you have to earn so many points and be a certain level before you can make a post.

One thing I would suggest doing is uploading your flight logs.  You can go here to do it
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/Upload/

Let some of the other reps on here take a look at what happened and you might be able to use that information to help persuade your case. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here that can break down the logs to hopefully see exactly what caused the issue.

I see what DJI is saying and their response does make sense... But from what you are saying it fully disconnected completely and it didn't fly away due to wind but because of a total disconnection so that changed things a bit.
2018-9-24
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Koelkop Posted at 2018-8-1 12:25
Something funny is up with his battery, The one time I let my battery go down to 0% the cell voltages was still above 3.3volts. The one cell of his battery already went below 3v at 18% battery left!

[view_image]

I believe that these are LiHV batteries So at 3.4V they would be dead flat.

Also the amount of current you can pull from a battery depends on the charge level. So at 10% battery you are lucky to keep it hovering.

Cheers
2018-9-24
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-8-1 07:19
I find the idea of even the strongest wind being able to “snap” the battery off VERY unlikely, unless it hadn’t been properly installed

Exactly.   I've flown in super strong winds around my yard just to see how it handled and it did perfectly.   This was a case of going too far (high in this case) to come back on the launch battery level.

I would say it's somewhere between that building and the woods.    You probably wouldn't have heard it come down and it's not exactly a vibrant color so it's out there somewhere laying there waiting on you.
2018-9-24
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Gstan30117@hotmail.com Posted at 2018-8-2 05:16
I compared a previous flight with this one and on the first one in 1 min. 16 sec. my battery went from 20% to 14%. During this flight, in 1 min. 10 sec. my battery went from 20% to 1%. Here are the two flights I compared:
#1 https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/J2RBGWZXEEK1ELJO0B8F/

I've found that weird things happen to the battery when you don't take off with them charged 100%.    The RTH point is sometimes not as accurate, the battery drains a bit faster than the software thinks it will, etc.   
2018-9-24
Use props
MikeNoDroneX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 249829 ft
Brazil

Hedsic Posted at 2018-9-24 06:08
That sucks about the drone and that DJI will not do a repair. It's pretty rare to see DJI do anything under warranty if the drone itself is gone even if it wasn't user error. Not that it helps but you was in an uphill battle either way.

As far as not being able to make your own post, They have a policy here where you have to earn so many points and be a certain level before you can make a post.

Hi
Thanks for your reply
I've uploaded the log here:
www. phantomhelp .com/ logviewer / R7ZMN178MJTCMQSZ7GGR

(no permission to put a link.. wtf?)

From what I understand the log itself is little help since it cut off exactly at the disconnection point. The video length is also cut at the same point.
There are also logs in the remote itself and I've sent them to support, but I have a strong feeling they didn't even open them
2018-9-24
Use props
Gstan30117
lvl.3
United States

MikeNoDroneX Posted at 2018-9-24 06:00
For some reason unable to create a new thread so Ill use this one

Since my thread has now been hijacked, I disavow any and all posts from this one forward.
2018-9-25
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2018-9-24 06:13
I believe that these are LiHV batteries So at 3.4V they would be dead flat.

Also the amount of current you can pull from a battery depends on the charge level. So at 10% battery you are lucky to keep it hovering.

3.4 volts per cell would be pretty low but not dangerously low. once battery is below 3.00V i would consider that battery shot..  i try not to get below 3.20V in emergency situations...

i had a mavic pro and i flown one battery always down to 2.90V and that battery survived but it wasn't happy..., admittingly that battery i did replace before selling the drone..
2018-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules