Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Bang for the buck...
945 10 2015-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
warbishop
lvl.1

United States

i have to admit, I'm a dji fan. I think the phantom is an amazing machine and works pretty well in the vast majority of cases.  Obviously there are some exceptions.  

The only concern is the obvious lack of good customer service in those rare cases where it's needed.  All things considered, I think it's probably the best bang for the buck.
But are there any other drones that you would consider also a good bang for the buck that a hobbyist might also consider?
2015-5-23
Use props
I. P. Freely
lvl.4

United States

You might want to compare the 3DR Solo.
2015-5-23
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Well you could compare it to lots of products that don't exist in the shops yet, but I would wait until we have some user data from 3DR owners before getting too excited
2015-5-23
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

I. P. Freely Posted at 2015-5-24 07:31
You might want to compare the 3DR Solo.

I'm keeping a serious eye on that. I've contacted DSLRpros and will probably get it from them as soon as they are in stock. Right now I'm grounded due to a blown ESC......2 month old Phantom 2.
2015-5-23
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not much comparable in terms of bang for the buck.....it also depends on your definition of hobbyist/consumer.
IMHO, when you get over about $1500 (Solo is $1800, Inspire is 2900) you are out of the middle end of hobbyist.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you enjoy flying around a small park the Eye One Extreme for about $160 is a great deal if you can put up with it's nuances.

The Phantom 1 is probably the most solid thing around - for learning, flying still cameras, etc - B&H has them  with an extra battery for $350.

But as far as a flying camera or flying tripod - it's hard to suggest anything comparable with a $999 DJI Phantom Advanced. Doesn't exist.
2015-5-23
Use props
jonnied2010
lvl.3

United States

Too bad you couldn't just go to a dealer and test drive them like when car shopping.
2015-5-24
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-24 11:31
Not much comparable in terms of bang for the buck.....it also depends on your definition of hobbyist ...

That's a  pretty debateable statement your making when they haven't even shipped the advanced version. Price is not a consideration if you have a solid product and the same type of support. $1000 or $3000 is still a lot of money and they're all basically toys right now.
2015-5-24
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-5-25 00:49
That's a  pretty debateable statement your making when they haven't even shipped the advanced vers ...

Lots of people have received the advanced versions.

If the statement is debatable, list out 3 or 4 alternatives in the $900-$1400 price range.
I've looked long and hard but perhaps you know something I don't.
2015-5-24
Use props
I. P. Freely
lvl.4

United States

From what I hear the 3DR customer service is pretty good.
2015-5-24
Use props
Kengineer
lvl.2

United States

I paid 750 for the vision 2 last year, they are cheaper now. It flies great, has a camera, ground station and there are other apps written for it that offer options. Which other birds are you thinking of that are close to that? .

If it breaks, I'll fix it, sometimes waiting for customer service costs more than just getting it done. There is always a better version of stuff waiting for funding, isn't it called vaporware?

2015-5-24
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I. P. Freely Posted at 2015-5-25 07:09
From what I hear the 3DR customer service is pretty good.

Do they have a $1000 range camera and gimbal equipped machine which provides more bang for the buck?

I looked and their machine sells for that without a camera or a gimbal- those cost $800+ more.

IMHO, "bang for the buck" has to be in the same range of bucks. If not, I'd say the $70 Syma X5C has incredible bang for the buck.....video, still pics, home lock and more....all for less than $100.

I don't think you are going to get any customer service from Syma, though, although you could return it through Amazon for 30 days or so.
2015-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules