I'm going travelling and want to take my drone
793 4 2018-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Megs
New
United Kingdom

Helloooo

So I recently bought my first drone, a Mavic air and as I'm a complete newbie to the drone world, I'm also completely clueless!

Next year, I'm planning on going travelling and really want to take my drone with me. But obviously, I don't want to get in trouble or get my drone taken off me for flying it when/where I shouldn't be.

So what I'm asking is if there are things I need to put in place before I go that will allow me to fly my drone. I'm not planning on flying it recklessly or to annoy people and I probably wouldn't even fly it that far away because I'd be scared of loosing it haha!

But I don't know if there's insurance I need to take out against myself or the drone or some form of certificate I need to get that will allow me to fly the drone without getting in trouble?

If anyone knows and could help me then that would be great.

I really wanted to take it with me to Vienna next week but read that they're really strict over there
2018-7-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Welcome to DJI Forum and thank you for the inquiry. First, you need to get in touch with the airport authorities and the airline personnel to ask about rules and regulations on how to bring and pack the Drone that you want to bring. Second, I will be posting the DJI link on how to check places if it is a No Fly Zone ( NFZ ) or if it is free to fly your Drone. I hope this can help.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=nav
2018-7-29
Use props
Megs
New
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-29 13:07
Hi. Welcome to DJI Forum and thank you for the inquiry. First, you need to get in touch with the airport authorities and the airline personnel to ask about rules and regulations on how to bring and pack the Drone that you want to bring. Second, I will be posting the DJI link on how to check places if it is a No Fly Zone ( NFZ ) or if it is free to fly your Drone. I hope this can help.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=nav

Hiya!

That's great thank you. So before I fly, you would advice contacting the airline I'm flying with to ask if it needs to go in my hold luggage or if it can be in my hand luggage?

And I've just had a look on that geo link (super helpful so thank you), do I just need to really pay attention to the red and yellow areas? Green areas (or if they don't show anything at all) should be okay to fly in?
2018-7-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Megs Posted at 2018-7-29 13:53
Hiya!

That's great thank you. So before I fly, you would advice contacting the airline I'm flying with to ask if it needs to go in my hold luggage or if it can be in my hand luggage?

Hi. Yes, you need to talk to the airline personnel on how to properly pack the Drone. You need to pay attention to the NFZ areas. If you need to unlock an NFZ area all you need to do is to utilize this link ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock ) for you to unlock it. Thank you.
2018-7-29
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

The drone can go in checked or carry-on luggage, but the batteries must go in carry on. Lithium batteries are not allowed in the cargo hold. Personally, I would put the drone in my hand luggage unless you packed it really well (have you see how they handle passenger suitcases at the airport?). Oh, and your batteries should be discharged so don't charge them before the flight.

One more thing, it is not required, but taking the propellers off might make it seem less threatening to any TSA agent that decides to inspect it. Just remember to put the right ones back on the correct motors before you fly.
2018-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules