3011 23 2018-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

How far out can you fly from your "regular" flight area? Just curious how far "normal" range is for most people.

Mavic Pro only please. If you use a RC Antenna mod please specify.
Single SelectVote, Total 48 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

18.75% (9)
16.67% (8)
2.08% (1)
62.50% (30)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-7-29
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

#1 for me... I have a ton of RV factories near me and just cant get past 5500 ft. marker.  I am about to mod the RC and retest and curious what other people get.
2018-7-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Answer depends upon which firmware version is running on Mavic Pro, and further testing of rollback to .0200.  
Running on .0400, in remote area, not even past 5-feet in a recent test with pixelation-smearing-blurring problems.
Running on .0300, in remote area, pixelation-smearing-blurring problems could range from as little as 25-feet out to 600-feet or no problem at all.
Running on .0200 about 1/2 mile without problems, and could have easily gone further, but no reason too.
2018-7-30
Use props
SKYCAM UK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-7-29 15:19
#1 for me... I have a ton of RV factories near me and just cant get past 5500 ft. marker.  I am about to mod the RC and retest and curious what other people get.

no need to mod the controller or firmware as its the go app thats holding you back, you need a modded go app version 4122 from nolimitdronez
2018-7-31
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SKYCAM UK Posted at 2018-7-31 00:14
no need to mod the controller or firmware as its the go app thats holding you back, you need a modded go app version 4122 from nolimitdronez

Already looked into that... iOS limitations (versions can't be downgraded) and also running an old DJI Go app / firmware is not really desirable. I could get amps/boosters for the antenna if I really need it. Perhaps one day DJI will stop limiting their customers and allow them to make their own configuration choices.
2018-7-31
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Remember the US should get twice the distance as the rest of the world due to the FCC power ratings allowed.
2018-7-31
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

@Bob Brown did you get your RC 4hawks mod yet?
2018-7-31
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

I agree, now with Boost (1.5w)
New options available in the latest NLD GO 4.1.22 for Android -
This one has a couple of new things...future GALILEO satellite support, as well as turning off DJI's AeroScope. (This is the digital license plate "feature" that DJI forces on you in GO....well no more) It is disabled by default in this GO, and of course, with all our GO versions, FCC mode is on by default. Now we have a seperate CS supported version, with Google Maps! (CS ROOT REQUIRED)
One thing you must do to get the most out of this GO version is to download SRTM "tiles" for your flying area. This gives you REAL TIME displaying of AGL height over changing terrain. (this is OPTIONAL to do, but it's very, very cool) We will have detailed instructions for setting up this awesome feature in another blog posting, as well as in the guide shortly.
Boost and the 32 channel hack is now enabled again! It's configured from the /DJI/og_settings/datalink.settings.json (in your Android filesystem), no more cryptic .DJI.config. Just edit the file with a text editor, find the variable called "boost" and set this to True to enable the 1.5W boost feature to get even more range than FCC mode. Boost tested and working on Mavic, and 32 channel tested on P4P. NOTE! This feature runs the RF chips at their max voltages and as such generates a LOT more heat. Its not advisable to use this mode in very hot climates as the small internal cooling fan may not be able to cope with the extra heat. Run this boost mode at your own risk.
NLD GO 4.1.22 is ready for patching, so go get it and check it out.  *Oh yes, we forgot one more great feature...you can now intstall NLD GO 4.1.22 alongside of stock GO - if you need to.  This is not recommended to do if you ever allow stock GO internet access, since DJI will have access to your data.*

there is also a go version available to used it next to your stock go (free) on the net

2018-7-31
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

This article if not for MP but explain clearly about the radio signal and range. This instructions basically works for all radio control drone. Read it carefully about how to get better range for your drone.

http://blog.parrot.com/2018/07/31/anafi-wi-fi-range-efficiency/
2018-7-31
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

Jos A Posted at 2018-7-31 06:19
I agree, now with Boost (1.5w)
New options available in the latest NLD GO 4.1.22 for Android -Matioupi and crew have been hard at work to bring you some great new features, as well as some hidden ones too…..check this out:This one has a couple of new things...future GALILEO satellite support, as well as turning off DJI's AeroScope. (This is the digital license plate "feature" that DJI forces on you in GO....well no more) It is disabled by default in this GO, and of course, with all our GO versions, FCC mode is on by default. Now we have a seperate CS supported version, with Google Maps! (CS ROOT REQUIRED)One thing you must do to get the most out of this GO version is to download SRTM "tiles" for your flying area. This gives you REAL TIME displaying of AGL height over changing terrain. (this is OPTIONAL to do, but it's very, very cool) We will have detailed instructions for setting up this awesome feature in another blog posting, as well as in the guide shortly.Boost and the 32 channel hack is now enabled again! It's configured from the /DJI/og_settings/datalink.settings.json (in your Android filesystem), no more cryptic .DJI.config. Just edit the file with a text editor, find the variable called "boost" and set this to True to enable the 1.5W boost feature to get even more range than FCC mode. Boost tested and working on Mavic, and 32 channel tested on P4P. NOTE! This feature runs the RF chips at their max voltages and as such generates a LOT more heat. Its not advisable to use this mode in very hot climates as the small internal cooling fan may not be able to cope with the extra heat. Run this boost mode at your own risk.NLD GO 4.1.22 is ready for patching, so go get it and check it out.  *Oh yes, we forgot one more great feature...you can now intstall NLD GO 4.1.22 alongside of stock GO - if you need to.  This is not recommended to do if you ever allow stock GO internet access, since DJI will have access to your data.*
there is also a go version available to used it next to your stock go (free) on the net

I was wondering when someone would post this lol
2018-7-31
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-7-31 05:02
@Bob Brown did you get your RC 4hawks mod yet?

Yes installed but rainy days so no flight test yet.
2018-7-31
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

rolling56 Posted at 2018-7-31 10:09
I was wondering when someone would post this lol

I already test it, works perfectly.
2018-8-1
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

Jos A Posted at 2018-8-1 01:02
I already test it, works perfectly.

How much further can your bird go with the boost?
2018-8-1
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-7-31 16:37
Yes installed but rainy days so no flight test yet.

I can patiently wait to see when it is safe to fly
2018-8-1
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-30 18:46
Answer depends upon which firmware version is running on Mavic Pro, and further testing of rollback to .0200.  
Running on .0400, in remote area, not even past 5-feet in a recent test with pixelation-smearing-blurring problems.
Running on .0300, in remote area, pixelation-smearing-blurring problems could range from as little as 25-feet out to 600-feet or no problem at all.

I am the same as you HT especially if I'm not familiar with the area.
2018-8-2
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

The OP tested the 4hawks in another thread
2018-8-5
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-5 04:10
The OP tested the 4hawks in another thread

Yeah it did not increase range for me. Only strengthened the signal. The signal is now more directional than with the stock antennas so I would really not recommend the antenna mod in an attempt to get greater range on a Mavic Pro. It may work better on a Mavic Air but I do not have one to test.
2018-8-6
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have it and messed with a bit yesterday. What do I need to do to increase range with this?
I am on FW 04.200 and now using Android on a Nexus 7 2013 (Gen2) tablet.
2018-8-6
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-8-6 05:04
Yeah it did not increase range for me. Only strengthened the signal. The signal is now more directional than with the stock antennas so I would really not recommend the antenna mod in an attempt to get greater range on a Mavic Pro. It may work better on a Mavic Air but I do not have one to test.

Sorry for being so off topic:

ya i replied to your PM but only thing you can try unless you email NLD is to do the 1.5 mod but it seems it uses a lot of voltage as you know. So i think you have tried pretty much everything?
My main problem with DJI is since the 500 meter height restrictions......Just an example if i had a job to inspect a 2000' tower i cannot fly that high. What does DJI say i must do to to be able to do that? Get a flight waiver from the FAA? The drone should just let me do it and not have to ask persmission from anyone. I feel like i am being redundant to my own self rofl

Old rule? was you could fly within 400' of an object and fly 400' higher than the object. So said tower is 2000' then you can fly 400' within the object and 400' higher so it would be 2400'. How can a FAA certified 107 sUAS fly that with the 500 meter setting now. And i don't think you need to have said FAA cert 107 sUAS to be able to do it. The FAA just doesn't mention it much.

2018-8-6
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-6 07:15
Sorry for being so off topic:

ya i replied to your PM but only thing you can try unless you email NLD is to do the 1.5 mod but it seems it uses a lot of voltage as you know. So i think you have tried pretty much everything?

I totally agree and honestly DJI has to set restrictions for everyone because quite frankly the drones can be flown by kids and people that have no clue. We as experienced pilots have a good understanding of the what not to do's and the limits of the aircraft. Not everyone does.
2018-8-6
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
United States

wow the post i just made DJI forums didn't like so will have to PM you later if i get time. What a joke they are these days......
email them and see for sure.
2018-8-6
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

I dont go beyond a mile, but I clear line of site. I live at 5000 ft and air is a bit thinner in the heat.
2018-8-6
Use props
CliffordOnline
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1586398 ft
India

Mavic Pro - 2 years old.

RC Modified with Parabolic Antenna extender and FCC + 1.5w Boost

Maximum one way range ( Upto I have tested) - 45,712ft which is just under 14km.

Signal was still kind of okay with 1 bar remaining and quite a choppy video feed but battery reached 12% so had to land
2020-5-3
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1047100 ft
Australia

CliffordOnline Posted at 2020-5-3 07:54
Mavic Pro - 2 years old.

RC Modified with Parabolic Antenna extender and FCC + 1.5w Boost

woww.

What is that parabolic antenna extender kit ?
2021-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules