Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Max. Altitude Limited After Firmware Update
2263 11 2018-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike Warren
lvl.2
Flight distance : 421532 ft
Australia

I have a Mavic Pro and a Phantom 4 Pro.

I haven't used either of them for about 3 months, but planned to do some flying on Sunday.

So on Saturday I prepared them, including updating to the latest firmware and updating Go4.

On Sunday the first place I wanted to fly was in a gorge with only 4 to 6  satellites so it was intermittently switching from vision to GPS modes.

I launched the Mavic and when it got to about 4 metres off the ground I  got a message that I had reached the maximum altitude of 15 metres.

I got what footage I could at the very low altitude, but about 5 minutes  later it switched into GPS mode and I was able to fly normally. Once I  got up to about 50 metres the satellite reception became stable enough  for me to get the footage I needed and it stayed like that until the  battery was depleted.

Next, I flew the P4P and had exactly the same error message. This time  it didn't fix itself, and because I could never get above about 4 metres  high I ended up landing about 10 minutes later.

What is causing this? It seems to me that it's either something in the  latest firmwares of the devices or the latest Go4 update. It's obviously  not a hardware fault since both drones had the same problem. The  settings in Go4 were still set at 180M max altitude and 1000M distance.  Beginner mode was not turned on.

Another weirdness I was getting was that Go4 kept telling me (on  Saturday) that the firmware needed to be updated, even though it was  already at the latest version (1.04.0400). I did go through the update procedure  again, but continued to get the message.

On Sunday I didn't get the message, but I was out of mobile coverage range so had no Internet connection.

Perhaps Go4 is erroneously limiting hight and distance if it can't get  an Internet connection. If that's the case then both of these drones  have become useless to me as I'm often out of reception range.
2018-7-29
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go into the settings, sometimes it would go into beginner mode.
2018-7-29
Use props
Mike Warren
lvl.2
Australia

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-7-29 15:41
Go into the settings, sometimes it would go into beginner mode.

As I said above, I checked that it wasn't in beginner mode.

But even then, although the message said I was limited to 15M, I could only get about 4M high.
2018-7-29
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Mike Warren Posted at 2018-7-29 15:52
As I said above, I checked that it wasn't in beginner mode.

But even then, although the message said I was limited to 15M, I could only get about 4M high.

There is a Security Feature that won't let you fly higher than 5m if you don't have a good GPS Signal + Number of Satellites Lock.

Some guy made a feature about this. This is to avoid you losing the drone when you are in ATTI Mode.

Correct me if I am wrong. Read this Post when you have some time Mate -

https://forum.dji.com/thread-155374-1-1.html

2018-7-29
Use props
Mike Warren
lvl.2
Australia

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-29 16:05
There is a Security Feature that won't let you fly higher than 5m if you don't have a good GPS Signal + Number of Satellites Lock.

Some guy made a feature about this. This is to avoid you losing the drone when you are in ATTI Mode.

Wow! That's exactly the problem.

I now have 2 drones that has become severely crippled. I would not have purchased them if this limitation was in place. I often fly in remote areas in gorges where satellite reception is spotty and there is no mobile reception.

Is there any way to disable this limit?
2018-7-29
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 10026640 ft
Iceland

Mike Warren Posted at 2018-7-29 16:22

I now have 2 drones that has become severely crippled. I would not have purchased them if this limitation was in place. I often fly in remote areas in gorges where satellite reception is spotty and there is no mobile reception.

Yes downgrade the firmware and turn off auto update.
2018-7-29
Use props
Mike Warren
lvl.2
Australia

G_Sig Posted at 2018-7-29 16:46
Yes downgrade the firmware and turn off auto update.

I was under the impression the DJI don't support installing older firmware versions.

And is this a firmware or Go4 issue?
2018-7-29
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft

This is not a firmware issue, and it's not a new feature to the last firmware. It always worked like this when you take of in VISION mode....downgrading FW won't "solve" this "issue"....
2018-7-29
Use props
Mike Warren
lvl.2
Australia

ro_flyer Posted at 2018-7-29 18:21
This is not a firmware issue, and it's not a new feature to the last firmware. It always worked like this when you take of in VISION mode....downgrading FW won't "solve" this "issue"....

I've definitely flown my Mavic higher than 5M without satellite coverage before. If it's always like that then mine must have been faulty.
2018-7-29
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 10026640 ft
Iceland

ro_flyer Posted at 2018-7-29 18:21

It is in FW . If you have seen inside the FW you would know this. It was set to 30 m.
2018-7-29
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Mike Warren Posted at 2018-7-29 16:22

If that is Encoded in the Drone's Firmware I really doubt there is a way around it.

We have to wait and see.
2018-7-30
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Mike Warren Posted at 2018-7-29 18:29
I've definitely flown my Mavic higher than 5M without satellite coverage before. If it's always like that then mine must have been faulty.

It is in the manual.... When you take off in Vision / Opti (whatever they call it) mode the altitude is limited to 16ft... it have always been like this. Have a look a this thread:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-77800-1-1.html
You cannot enter opti mode or atti mode manually.
If you are in opti mode and you disable downward vision system, then you will go in atti mode. I Atti mode there is no altitude limit, wish you luck to fly in this mode, specially in small / indoor places....
2018-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules