Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom
12Next >
5327 58 2018-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Because of the latest leakage we (might be ) know what to expect - interesting is What will be Your choice?
I always was on side of big sensors but what is You desire?
Single SelectVote, Total 114 people participate in voting
78.07% (89)
16.67% (19)
5.26% (6)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-7-29
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

I think we should set a poll to tell DJI the price we want to pay for M2s before they set the official price
2018-7-29
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Until knowing the actual specs of the cameras i cant make a call.  The camera is by far the worst part of the original mavic so it'll need huge improvements to make an upgrade worth it.
Currently we know nothing.
2018-7-30
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-30 01:55
Until knowing the actual specs of the cameras i cant make a call.  The camera is by far the worst part of the original mavic so it'll need huge improvements to make an upgrade worth it.
Currently we know nothing.

The important question in the poll was direction
We know (or rather we assume) that zoom camera will be on par or even better than today's camera!
The large sensor will go in the domain of Phantom Pro V2 or (hopefully) better
So what You rather prefer to have decent  quality zoom or bet on higher quality prime ;)
2018-7-30
Use props
Ram-UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

I would like to have shutter speed control. Option to use full manual control on camera would be ideal.
2018-7-30
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mavic 2 with zoom? I can do this with my current mavic by simply flying closer to the object I’m filming, but the mavic Pro 2 with  the 1 inch hasselhoff camera? Now that’s what I want!!!
2018-7-30
Use props
rikk08
First Officer
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

if they really manage to fit a 1" sensor on the body of a mavic then I'm already sold
2018-7-30
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Oh I can see the need for more investment coming soon......maybe.
2018-7-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-7-30 03:15
Mavic 2 with zoom? I can do this with my current mavic by simply flying closer to the object I’m filming, but the mavic Pro 2 with  the 1 inch hasselhoff camera? Now that’s what I want!!!

Zoom can have a use.
For places where you can't fly closer due to legal distance requirements from people or objects or simply not getting too close and annoying people with the noise and drones presence.
You can also get a bit more compressed perspective type shots (slightly anyway).

That said, i simply want a good camera.  1 inch sensor doesn't mean anything until the figures about its dynamic range, noise, focal length, video bit rate and video codecs are announced though.  Im hoping because its Hasselblad it'll be decent.  But at this stage we know nothing.A variable aperture would also be massively nice but i cant see that on a mavic size camera.
2018-7-30
Use props
maddox
First Officer

looks like most of them prefer M2P
2018-7-30
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I want to have both cameras as was originally suggested in the ,leak that the gimbals were interchangeable.
2018-7-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

maddox Posted at 2018-7-30 05:01
looks like most of them prefer M2P

Lets see if thats still the case when the prices are announced.  How many would pay say $600 more for a "better" camera when the smaller sensor zoom one "will do".
2018-7-30
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-30 05:14
Lets see if thats still the case when the prices are announced.  How many would pay say $600 more for a "better" camera when the smaller sensor zoom one "will do".

My sentiments exactly
But we have a saying - Fun has No price
2018-7-30
Use props
Hestia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 135381 ft
Italy

I expect the hasselblad version to be very pricey

Let's see whith the official announcement!
2018-7-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

My bet is $500 more for it.  Seems somewhat sensible ASSUMING the camera is actually any good.
Just having a 1 inch sensor means nothing.
2018-7-30
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

For those saying that zoom is not important, that they can just fly closer to the subject. I can tell they dont know much about zoom lol. Zoom is not only used to bring your subject closer, it compresses your shot as well. You get a different feeling from a zoomed in image that you cannot get by simple getting closer to the subject.
2018-7-30
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft

Looking like it's this year's Christmas present  
2018-7-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Asainz320 Posted at 2018-7-30 13:32
For those saying that zoom is not important, that they can just fly closer to the subject. I can tell they dont know much about zoom lol. Zoom is not only used to bring your subject closer, it compresses your shot as well. You get a different feeling from a zoomed in image that you cannot get by simple getting closer to the subject.

You wont get much perspective compression from 48mm. Some but not a lot.
Mainly it'll mean you can stay further away so the noise isn't as irritating for people or get better shops whilst maintaining the legally required separation.

You will get a different "feel" image though going from wide and the distortion to a focal length that is pretty much identical to the human eye field of view.
2018-7-30
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-30 04:42
Zoom can have a use.
For places where you can't fly closer due to legal distance requirements from people or objects or simply not getting too close and annoying people with the noise and drones presence.
You can also get a bit more compressed perspective type shots (slightly anyway).

I fully agree, the choice will not be as easy as it looks at the first glance. Once we get all the specs it might become a little bit easier and price will be an important factor for many (me including) as well.
2018-7-30
Use props
fanse5394b5d
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128471 ft
United Kingdom

First rumour was for an interchangeable gimbal.

What if the cameras are interchangeable, but the air frame is the same in both versions

Buy the Pro to start, get the zoom lens later (or vica versa)
2018-7-30
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm doing pro!
2018-7-30
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-7-30 03:15

Changing the focal length is COMPLETELY different than changing the angle of view.
2018-7-30
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1730177 ft
Latvia

Zoom lenses not used to "zoom" to subject (at least by professionals), but for changing focal length and angle of view! Just try to shoot your face with 35mm lens and 100mm
Also with "zoom" you can get nice blur background. So, zoom not used to get subject closer, but change view angle etc.

Ok here an example:
2018-7-30
Use props
ALLEN YIP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 402890 ft
Hong Kong

I prefer bigger sensor bigger picture better quality rather than zoom one
2018-7-31
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2018-7-30 13:32
For those saying that zoom is not important, that they can just fly closer to the subject. I can tell they dont know much about zoom lol. Zoom is not only used to bring your subject closer, it compresses your shot as well. You get a different feeling from a zoomed in image that you cannot get by simple getting closer to the subject.

No need to get all technical, these quad cameras a basically cell phone cameras with propellers attached and yes I prefer to fly closer to an object rather than have a heavily pixelated photo.....
2018-7-31
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Andrejs Posted at 2018-7-30 22:50
Zoom lenses not used to "zoom" to subject (at least by professionals), but for changing focal length and angle of view! Just try to shoot your face with 35mm lens and 100mm  
Also with "zoom" you can get nice blur background. So, zoom not used to get subject closer, but change view angle etc.

Do professionals fly quads with cell phone cameras attached to them? I thought we were talking about a consumer drone?
2018-7-31
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Andrejs Posted at 2018-7-30 22:50

Maybe for larger camera and so on but that isn't going to really apply to a mavic 2 with a fixed, wide aperture lens and 24-48mm 35 equivalent length.

A few assumptions.  f/2.8 aperture (mavic one was 2.2, air is 2.8. doesnt make much difference) and same sensor size as Mavic 1 (again doesnt make a huge difference if they change it slightly).

Taking into account the crop factor its going to give roughly 8.5mm focal length of the lens fully zoomed in.

Banging those numbers into dofmaster and you see that ultimately once you hit 6m or so subject distance, everything from 2.5m to infinity is going to be in focus so no blurred background.

Bokeh depends on aperture (mavic likely fixed, wide but fixed), sensor size, focal length and subject distance combined with subject to background distance.

For standard portrait blur shots you generally need a wide aperture, a long focal length (way over what a mavic will do), a very close distance to subject and a much bigger distance from the subject to its background.  Thats not really practical or a common drone flying scenario.

You'll get a *little* perspective changing going 24-48 (in reality 4.5 to 8.5mm actual range) but not a huge amount, again you ideally need your subject close.

So i suspect the best use of a mavic zoom is actually going to be to get shots of things you cant get close to either because you annoy it or the separation safety laws prohibit it.  Will mean less cropping needed.

Some assumptions made on aperture and sensor size for those calculations but they wont be far out from whats released.
2018-7-31
Use props
Page812
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29908 ft

I need that mavic pro 2
2018-7-31
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Need or want ?
2018-7-31
Use props
EdM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wonder how much zoom a camera on a Mavic sized frame could tolerate before the all the little vibrations start showing up in the final result.
2018-7-31
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

EdM Posted at 2018-7-31 19:51
I wonder how much zoom a camera on a Mavic sized frame could tolerate before the all the little vibrations start showing up in the final result.

Im guessing 48mm....
The gimbal doesnt look much different to the original one on the zoom version and that gimbal isnt very good.

I guess when released we'll have lots of people posting money about the unsteady images at full zoom, especially if there's a gusty wind.
2018-8-1
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Want!
2018-8-1
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4796509 ft
Vietnam

I want a complete collection
2018-8-1
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4796509 ft
Vietnam

As for the camera and the zoom...
- it would be sensible to add a small soft option - the Superresolution option.
The current MP already has everything for this - it makes a machine gun turn - a series of 7 photos and they only need to be processed to get a picture of 48MP (maybe only the CPU MP is busy with other important things and can not help...)

this option starts to be used more often - almost all thermal imagers have it by default in the base.
And with it the resolution of photo x4 is increased with respect to the matrix.

So why did not DJI include it in MP2 ???  

2018-8-1
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Because there's no demand for it and the mavic camera isn't good enough to get much of a resolution boost.  Higher number of pixels in an image doesn't always mean you have a higher per pixel resolution.
Theres nothing stopping you doing this manually on the existing drone.  Just take a burst series of DNGs and stick them into photoshop.
2018-8-2
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-7-31 01:41
No need to get all technical, these quad cameras a basically cell phone cameras with propellers attached and yes I prefer to fly closer to an object rather than have a heavily pixelated photo.....

You didnt make much sence with that comment.
I agree that these are cellphone cameras on a quadcopter, but again, just getting closer will not get you the same image than when zooming in. If you disagree with that statement then you are one of those that doesnt know much about zoom, only that it gets you closer to the subject.
By the way, the zoom we're talking about is optical zoom. No pixaletion will occur.
2018-8-3
Use props
0Kajuna0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 267126 ft
Spain

LordoftheFlies Posted at 2018-7-30 19:10
Changing the focal length is COMPLETELY different than changing the angle of view.

Changing the angle of view is precisely what changing the focal length does, provided all other variables remain constant.
2018-8-3
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

2x zoom just better than nothing. 4-5x will be more useful. But the stability and fly control limited the zoom power. It will be dangerous to fly when zoomed in too close.
2018-8-6
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

I am curious what happened and DJI needed to postpone the event. What glitch did they find at this very last minute.
2018-8-6
Use props
Alexey Batalov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Might be that some paperwork was missing. Like the patents for fcc for example.
2018-8-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules