Landing on moving boat....
1625 16 2018-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mittens
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1906 ft
United States

Well had the spark out on the boat, and Tried active track... the boat is not a fast one and still out ran it.  I had to switch to sport mode, and catch up.

Got some video of the boat running, but sideways with Sport mode means tilted video... wish you could make sport mode work with the gimble....

then while wife was driving boat, I tried to land it while moving for fun..... boats going around 25mph here, so sport mode on, video is just random to watch.  Takes a lot of stick control to keep spark in the right spot with if moving at 25 mph away the whole time and cross winds...  

let alone no one helping me catch it so you have to fly it one handed...
2018-7-30
Use props
Mittens
lvl.3
United States

sorry the forum is not taking the video, its being uploaded to your tube.  Not sure why quality is so bad?

2018-7-30
Use props
Mittens
lvl.3
United States

I really wish I knew how to make the home point be the TC not the starting point.
2018-7-30
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Welldone with the Catch !
2018-7-30
Use props
Mittens
lvl.3
United States

here is a short clip of my catching up with the boat,

2018-7-30
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Mittens Posted at 2018-7-30 07:47
sorry the forum is not taking the video, its being uploaded to your tube.  Not sure why quality is so bad?

nice video and glad you caught your spark ..
2018-7-30
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Mittens Posted at 2018-7-30 09:44
here is a short clip of my catching up with the boat,

nice video .. thanks for sharing ..
2018-7-30
Use props
Mittens
lvl.3
United States

all of this was done with iPhone, DJI Go app download, then cropped length on iPhone, then uploaded over the air to you tube.... I have HD uploads set but qulity sucks.  I will pull them off card tonight and see how they upload for comparison.
2018-7-30
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

I say you are a brave man. Nice catch! I dont think I would have the guts for it. hahahahahahahhahaha
Did you start the active track with the boat stationary and then slowly increased the boat speed?
Sport mode is good to shoot backwards.
2018-7-30
Use props
Mittens
lvl.3
United States

These are clips taken from the whole test flight.  I started with the boat at idle, (3-4mph)  launched it out of my hand using the remote... it took off out of hand and hovered as boat pulled away, then I flew it up to a good hight and locked in in Active track mode facing the side of the boat (I had object Avoidance turned off as I know it can fly faster with out it on).. and once boat was locked and tracking good we got on plane..... the spark basicly stayed put and tracked it with the camera and then lost us.  I then has to catch back up using Sport mode...took it a good min to catch back up to us, then filmed the side shot, and then the landing.

Was kinda surprised it did not do better with the tracking...
2018-7-30
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

Mittens Posted at 2018-7-30 10:04
These are clips taken from the whole test flight.  I started with the boat at idle, (3-4mph)  launched it out of my hand using the remote... it took off out of hand and hovered as boat pulled away, then I flew it up to a good hight and locked in in Active track mode facing the side of the boat (I had object Avoidance turned off as I know it can fly faster with out it on).. and once boat was locked and tracking good we got on plane..... the spark basicly stayed put and tracked it with the camera and then lost us.  I then has to catch back up using Sport mode...took it a good min to catch back up to us, then filmed the side shot, and then the landing.

Was kinda surprised it did not do better with the tracking...

25 mph is a lot of speed to catch up. But its possible.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-117804-1-1.html
Next time try to start with the drone closer to the boat.
2018-7-30
Use props
Mittens
lvl.3
United States

Well I am 99% sure I selected the radar/object avoidance off to help with the speed, but the spark was not far away from the boat.  basicly same distance you see in second video from the side, and then we slowly took, and lost the spark.  will play more for sure. and check fly record.
2018-7-30
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

Mittens Posted at 2018-7-30 10:23
Well I am 99% sure I selected the radar/object avoidance off to help with the speed, but the spark was not far away from the boat.  basicly same distance you see in second video from the side, and then we slowly took, and lost the spark.  will play more for sure. and check fly record.

The link I forwarded there is a video of a guy who tracked his car at 45 km/h (27mph).
2018-7-30
Use props
Mittens
lvl.3
United States

I know that's where I learned to turn off the forward detection to gain speed in active track mode... so Not sure why it did not work...

Checked Flight record, and I turned the obstical off, then active track came on, and then I selected the boat... it works while going slow... as I take off the spark slowly speeds up to about 12-13mph, and then by the time it got to that speed it lost the boat.. was stull on screen but stopped tracking it...  then I flick it to sport mode and catch back up...

maybe I have to turn it off AFTER I select the the active track and get it tracking?
2018-7-30
Use props
Jakesboss
lvl.1
Flight distance : 892 ft
Canada

couple of questions...

was boat speed at 25 MPH or 25 Knots?
Is the boat running into the wind?
How many fingers did you cut on the catch?
2018-7-30
Use props
maddox
Captain

wow very cool
2018-7-30
Use props
Mittens
lvl.3

Boat speed is 25mph GPS. Not knots.

Zero finger nicks. That part was smooth. I could have grabbed it once before but did not want that problem... so the last time I got altitude right and then one hand camemup at my self ha.
2018-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules