Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Arris Scorpion Skid for Phantom 4 pro and Advance
1252 16 2018-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
whitehunter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I purchased these skids for my Phantom 4 Pro and wonder if others have the same problem as I do. When fixed to the drone, after a few minutes of flying a critical error message is received advising that the downward sensors are malfunctioning and to land immediately . These skids have a centre bar that must interfere with the sensors, the only way to fly with them in place is to turn off the down sensors, this is not made clear when purchasing.
2018-7-31
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The maker advertises the following on the product page:
"Does not obstruction flight sensors"

Perhaps you have it installed backwards? Here's a video showing how it should be installed:

If that doesn't help, then maybe contact the maker since he's claiming it does not interfere with the sensors.
2018-7-31
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Many thanks for your reply. The first time it happened I did think it was on the wrong way, changed around and same message after a short flight, take it off and no problems. I contacted the makers two weeks ago but haven't had any reply.
2018-7-31
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Have had a look at the video, the skid I have been sent is nothing like the one in the video, mine has a single bar off centre across the skid. Perhaps I have been sent a prototype?  Difficult to resolve
when the supply company does not respond to emails!!!!
2018-7-31
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Why did you even purchase this?  Just wondered if they were for a particular reason.
2018-7-31
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The reason I bought it was, when doing a auto land sometimes the drone appears to hit the ground quite hard, so thought the shock absorbers was a good idea. Also I have read that the landing legs are easily damaged on the Phantom 4.  Having had the problem with sensors, I did look at the comments on the Youtube video, one comment said they had had the same problem, as the drone thinks its flying at the wrong height and had a problem getting the drone back and it was a bad idea!  The really annoying thing is no reply to my email from the manufactures, that says everything.
2018-7-31
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You have this one?

It does state that its ok with the sensors, sounds like thats a load of waffle
2018-7-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Some times even a narrow and thinly built 3D printed gimbal guard will cause a sensor error.

RedHotPoker
2018-7-31
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-7-31 19:41
You have this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vSO7mozp8E

Yes, thats the one. Perhaps the company should have done a little more testing before selling.
2018-8-1
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-31 20:48
Some times even a narrow and thinly built 3D printed gimbal guard will cause a sensor error.

Thanks, $50 this bit of kit cost, if you want the carriage release its another $50, fortunately I didn't buy it.
2018-8-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

whitehunter Posted at 2018-8-1 03:39
Thanks, $50 this bit of kit cost, if you want the carriage release its another $50, fortunately I didn't buy it.

Sometimes I think it’s best to have a sensitive drone, rather than a rock... haha

RedHotPoker
2018-8-1
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

After waiting for a reply from M.D for 2 weeks without any, I  escalated it to Paypal, today Paypal have found in my favour and credited me the purchase price and postage. Think twice before buying this product or dealing with MD.
2018-8-4
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

whitehunter Posted at 2018-8-4 03:05
After waiting for a reply from M.D for 2 weeks without any, I  escalated it to Paypal, today Paypal have found in my favour and credited me the purchase price and postage. Think twice before buying this product or dealing with MD.

It’s great that PayPal returned your money. I’m just wondering, have you flown without this device and gotten the “Ultrasonic Sensor” error? I ask because I was getting that error regularly and I don’t have anything mounted on the aircraft. DJI provided beta firmware that stopped the error from happening.

Jeff
2018-8-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

PayPal have certainly stepped up, to help their valued customers.

It’s good to know they are reputable and can be trusted to do the right thing.

RedHotPoker
2018-8-4
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-8-4 16:25
It’s great that PayPal returned your money. I’m just wondering, have you flown without this device and gotten the “Ultrasonic Sensor” error? I ask because I was getting that error regularly and I don’t have anything mounted on the aircraft. DJI provided beta firmware that stopped the error from happening.

Jeff

Yes, have flown the drone several times and don't get any sensor problems. Before I contacted MD, I tried with the skid and without, when the skid was on after a few minutes of flight I got the error message.  
2018-8-4
Use props
whitehunter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-8-4 18:18
PayPal have certainly stepped up, to help their valued customers.

It’s good to know they are reputable and can be trusted to do the right thing.

Yes, if I had paid with a debit or credit card I don.t think I would have got my money back. Had to wait a couple of weeks for MD to reply to my contact and again when I escalated the problem with Paypal. On both occasions MD did not respond.
2018-8-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

whitehunter Posted at 2018-8-4 21:09
Yes, if I had paid with a debit or credit card I don.t think I would have got my money back. Had to wait a couple of weeks for MD to reply to my contact and again when I escalated the problem with Paypal. On both occasions MD did not respond.

Glad you took the high road, and went through the proper channels.

It pays to be patient, and let the procedure play out.

Thanks for being a stand up guy, on here too... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules