Geofencing on Airmap vs. DJI Geozones map
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rockdoc65
lvl.1

Can anyone explain which zones on the DJI Geozones map require authorization to take off and land. I have been told that the green Warning zones and Enhanced Warning zones do not require authorization. I understand the orange areas can require authorization. Looking on the Airmap site all of their circles are orange. How do you differentiate before you travel somewhere to fly? I am seriously interested in purchasing the Phantom 4 pro V2 but am discouraged by all of the restricted zones on the map. Is following the DJI Geozones map the best route? Thanks for any insights -rockdoc65

2018-7-31
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi. I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. I recommend you to follow our guidelines about the Geo zones to have a real-time update. I suggest you check the link below for more information about Geo zone map. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=nav
2018-7-31
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Your post covers a whole lot of territory.  

For the record, there is no geo fencing on airmap, right?  It's just trying to tell us where we can and cannot fly.  

Let's talk about the DJI Geo map first.

Not sure what country you're in.

The DJI maps have to do with whether DJI will allow you to fly in certain areas.  You either won't be able to launch or you won't be able to fly into certain zones (you'll bounce off an invisible wall).

The DJI geo maps in the USA are loosely based on FAA hobbyist rules rather than FAA 107 rules.  They're not perfect.  

The Restricted (red) zones you can't fly because the motors won't start.  If you want to fly, first you must get approval from FAA (in the USA) and that is likely somewhere between very difficult and impossible.  Then you must submit your approval documentation to DJI via their custom unlock page.  They may or may not unlock your AC to fly.

The yellow authorization zones you neglected to mention.  Maybe you think they're orange?  You can't fly until you self-unlock.  However, my understanding is you still likely cannot fly within a half mile radius of the center of the yellow zone.  It might even be a mile radius depending on the airport.  And then there's a graduated height restriction which is explained in your manual.  Make sure you're legal before you self-unlock.

The green enhanced warning zones - you can't fly until you can self unlock.  Make sure you're legal before you self unlock.  

The green warning zone is just a warning pop up on your Go app.  It does not interfere with your flight.  Still - you must make sure you're legal before you fly into this zone.  Just because DJI doesn't stop you from flying doesn't mean you're legal.  

Next is airmap.

Airmap is based on FAA regs (in the USA).  There is no direct connection between the DJI maps and airmap.  Airmap is fairly accurate but it's not perfect.  Still, it's a great resource.

Launching and landing.

Launching and landing is governed by local laws.  FAA controls the skies (in the USA), local laws control the land you launch from.  So you must be aware of local ordinances.

So in summary, you must pay attention to all three of these things for a successful legal flight.  

How restrictive all these things are is kind of dependent on where you live.  If you live in NYC, you'll have more issues.  If you live in Montana, you'll have less issues.  Is it worth all the hassle?  I think so.  

Good luck.

2018-7-31
Use props
rockdoc65
lvl.1

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-31 14:29
Your post covers a whole lot of territory.  

For the record, there is no geo fencing on airmap, right?  It's just trying to tell us where we can and cannot fly.  

Thanks Mark for all of the great info regarding the maps!
I do live in the U.S.
It looks like a lot of the coastline east and west is restricted. I live in TN but like to travel and was interested in Drones for still photography more than video.
2018-7-31
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

rockdoc65 Posted at 2018-7-31 16:54
Thanks Mark for all of the great info regarding the maps!
I do live in the U.S.
It looks like a lot of the coastline east and west is restricted. I live in TN but like to travel and was interested in Drones for still photography more than video.

My pleasure, sir
2018-7-31
Use props
rockdoc65
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-7-31 14:19
Hi. I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. I recommend you to follow our guidelines about the Geo zones to have a real-time update. I suggest you check the link below for more information about Geo zone map. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=nav

Thanks for the quick response, I will check out the link you provided!
2018-8-1
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Imagine if Ford or GM designed cars so that the would not start up if the President was passing through your town within 5 miles of your driveway. That's DJI for you. Make your purchase decision accordingly.
2018-8-1
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

rockdoc65 Posted at 2018-8-1 05:23
Thanks for the quick response, I will check out the link you provided!

You're welcome. If you have other concern, please let us know so we can help you out. Thank you.
2018-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules