Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DNR 1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1689478 ft
United States

So, I got an email the other day from the FAA and it directed me here:
FAA Safety
to take the recurrent test as is apparently required to renew my Remote Pilot license
for another two years.

Registered and took the course, which took less than an hour, and the knowledge test, which was less
than 30 questions, and printed a certificate. The cert does say to keep with license, but thatis all.

My question is:

Is that it? Does anyone know if there is anything else you must do? I thought there was
a renewal fee or something like that, but I can't find much online.

Any info appreciated.

2018-8-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You might have been the very first person to renew a RPC!  Congrats!
2018-8-1
Use props
Michael Kemper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1709583 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe that course will renew your Part 107 if you have a current Part 61 pilot certificate (aircraft pilot). If you only have Part 107, then you're required to essentially retake the Part 107 exam to renew.
2018-8-1
Use props
DNR 1
lvl.2
United States

This is a copy of the email I got. So it sounds like I do have to do the paid test again! Thought it was too good to be true.

The first Remote Pilot certificates were issued in August 2016 and are nearing the end of their 24 calendar month currency. Remote drone pilots must complete a recurrent training course or pass a recurrent knowledge test within 24 calendar months to continue to exercise the privileges of their Remote Pilot certificates.

If you are a drone and manned pilot (Part 61 qualified and hold a current flight review) you can either:

Take the recurrent Part 107 Knowledge Test at a Knowledge Test Center testing facility, or
Take the online training course, “Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (small UAS) Recurrent,” on the FAA Safety team website.
If you are a drone pilot and do not hold a Part 61 (manned pilot) qualification, you must take the initial or recurrent Part 107 Knowledge Test at a Knowledge Test Center testing facility

View the list of Knowledge Testing Centers (PDF) to find one near you.
Contact the Knowledge Test Service Providers:
- CATS: Call 800-947-4228
- PSI: Call 800-211-2754
Be certain to bring your FAA certification AND a valid government-issued photo ID with you to the testing location.

Where can I find study materials?

The FAA is committed to providing training materials to remote pilots. All necessary study materials are available online, free of charge.

Applicants are encouraged to review the following documents before taking the Knowledge Test or completing the online training course:

Airman Certification Standards (ACS) for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (PDF)
Remote Pilot Study Guide (PDF)
Online sample questions
2018-8-1
Use props
DNR 1
lvl.2
United States

Ok, so, this is all so new, it looks like the Testing Centers are just catching up. It appears the Recurrent Test is only a little less comprehensive than the Initial Test, so I guess I will have some time to brush up. My license expires in Oct. I called the testing site near me and she referred me to CATS / PSI. And this is all I found so far. But where I am, they are already closed for the day.

PSI is now accepting registrations for the FAA Unmanned General Recurrent (UGR) test
You will need your FAA UAS Certificate number to register for the UGR.
Call toll free to register at (844) 704-1487.
As always, this guy does a good job of breaking it all down.
https://jrupprechtlaw.com/part-107-test-study-guide#recurrent

2018-8-1
Use props
philjmj
lvl.1

The recurrent test is shorter than the original test.
2018-8-2
Use props
zac.lostpeakmedia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73750 ft
United States

This is true, the recurrent test doesn't cover all of the same material as the original exam. Here is a great article on the difference between the initial exam and the renewal.

https://thelegaldrone.com/part-107-renewal/
2019-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules