Have to switch between Spark wifi and home wifi when upgrading fi...
1415 9 2018-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mossman
lvl.1
United States

Is it normal to have to switch between Spark wifi and your home's wifi when doing firmware upgrades?  When I connect to my Spark, it does the firmware check, and if it needs updating it prompts me to do so.  So I click "download", but it says to connect to my network.  So I have to go into my connection settings, switch to my home's wifi, re-open the DJI app, download the update, then go to my phone connections again to re-connect to my RC controller, then click install.  I figured it would use my cellular network connection to download the firmware, then the wifi connection between the phone and controller to update the firmware.  This doesn't appear to be the case.  Although it has to be using my cellular network to detect that a firmware update is available, so why doesn't it use the cellular network to download the update?

2018-8-2
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Yep, that is normal on androids.

But, like I wrote in the other topic:
DONT update the sparks fw from the phone.
Get DJI Assistant 2 and do it from a computer
And the RC update afterwards, you do with a OTG cable TO the RC from your device
2018-8-2
Use props
mossman
lvl.1
United States

Okay.  Thanks.
2018-8-2
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

You are welcome
2018-8-2
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

yes it is normal
2018-8-2
Use props
mossman
lvl.1
United States

yes it is normal

Then why can it check for a firmware update using the cellular connection, but it can't download the update using the cellular connection?
2018-8-2
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
United States

mossman Posted at 2018-8-2 07:54
Then why can it check for a firmware update using the cellular connection, but it can't download the update using the cellular connection?

Get an iOS and it can
That is an droid limitation
No celluar if conected to a wifi
Just some download speedups of some (samsung and Huawei, I think) can use both but just for one and the same internet download afaik. And some quicker changing from a "bad" wifi to mobil data
Only a strong wifi without internet is not a bad wifi.
But long story short: It is android
2018-8-2
Use props
mossman
lvl.1
United States

That is an droid limitation
No celluar if conected to a wifi

Then how am I able to make phone calls while wifi is connected?
2018-8-2
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

mossman Posted at 2018-8-2 08:24
Then how am I able to make phone calls while wifi is connected?

It is an android thing.. if the wifi is connected it will not use cellular for data.  Phone still works but data is all routed to the wifi connection.  Since there is no internet connection when wifi is connected to the spark, you can't download the update.   iOS is smart enough to know that there is no internet connection via the spark wifi so it routes the data over the cellular network.   I have not had an android phone for a couple of years now so I don't know if newer phones have overcome this problem or not.
2018-8-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. I appreciate your time reaching DJI Forum. You might want to check this:
2018-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules