Mavic Air Quick Mode Circle not in perfect circle ?
1195 21 2018-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lunag
lvl.1
Malaysia

Is there something wrong with my Mavic Air ? The quick mode circle doesnt circle perfectly ??

the timing at 0.25 and 0.41, and towards the end when it totally shows the rooftop

2018-8-2
Use props
lunag
lvl.1
Malaysia

here's another example of the quick mode circle not being in perfect circle, i saw this randomly from youtube

2018-8-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

lunag Posted at 2018-8-2 08:28
here's another example of the quick mode circle not being in perfect circle, i saw this randomly from youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JofG5SuPy8

Yeah there seems like something is wrong, in the first one I would have said wind, but maybe not. You do need strong gps when flying auto modes, other than this I can’t say what is happening.
2018-8-2
Use props
lunag
lvl.1
Malaysia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-2 09:12
Yeah there seems like something is wrong, in the first one I would have said wind, but maybe not. You do need strong gps when flying auto modes, other than this I can’t say what is happening.

should i be sending in for service/repairs? i just bought this last month
2018-8-2
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft

lunag Posted at 2018-8-2 09:15

No, active tracking is not perfect.
2018-8-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

lunag Posted at 2018-8-2 09:15

No I wouldn’t, I would however try it out in strong gps on a windless day first, I don’t use circle but have tried it and it works pretty good, you can also get same effect with POI .
2018-8-2
Use props
lunag
lvl.1
Malaysia

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-8-2 09:25
No, active tracking is not perfect.

hello, how do you mean the tracking is not perfect ?
2018-8-2
Use props
lunag
lvl.1
Malaysia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-2 09:27
No I wouldn’t, I would however try it out in strong gps on a windless day first, I don’t use circle but have tried it and it works pretty good, you can also get same effect with POI .

the weather wasn't windy when i used it on that day
2018-8-2
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

I guess my question would be if the other modes work as they're supposed to or not.  If not, there may be an issue.

FWIW, I learned pretty quick how to fly a circle on my own (unless I'm the focus and am relying on active-track) .  There's no setup, it's a good skill to learn, and when you get good at it, you'll find you're likely better than the quick-shot.  Most of the time you'll only use a short part of the "circle" in the final cut of a video anyway.
2018-8-2
Use props
dmashkov
lvl.3
Flight distance : 97018 ft
Russia

I thought it was my bad luck only, but seems I'm not alone here. Circle is prone to errors in my experience. Sometimes it makes very dangerous errors...
2018-8-2
Use props
lunag
lvl.1
Malaysia

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-8-2 09:40
I guess my question would be if the other modes work as they're supposed to or not.  If not, there may be an issue.

FWIW, I learned pretty quick how to fly a circle on my own (unless I'm the focus and am relying on active-track) .  There's no setup, it's a good skill to learn, and when you get good at it, you'll find you're likely better than the quick-shot.  Most of the time you'll only use a short part of the "circle" in the final cut of a video anyway.

I have tried one or two more other quick modes, and they seemed fine for me for the time being
2018-8-2
Use props
lunag
lvl.1
Malaysia

dmashkov Posted at 2018-8-2 09:42
I thought it was my bad luck only, but seems I'm not alone here. Circle is prone to errors in my experience. Sometimes it makes very dangerous errors...

did you meant that you didn't get the full circle exactly like my video ?
2018-8-2
Use props
dmashkov
lvl.3
Russia

Yes, just like that.
2018-8-2
Use props
lunag
lvl.1
Malaysia

sorry about that too
2018-8-2
Use props
dmashkov
lvl.3
Russia

I even reported this to DJI support through the app but there was no reply.
2018-8-2
Use props
maddox
Captain

lunag Posted at 2018-8-2 08:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JofG5SuPy8

very nice
2018-8-2
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Be careful some people report MA fly to centre in active cycle mode. You need to put finger on the Stop button when flying on auto mode.
2018-8-2
Use props
lunag
lvl.1
Malaysia

GDL Posted at 2018-8-2 17:21
Be careful some people report MA fly to centre in active cycle mode. You need to put finger on the Stop button when flying on auto mode.

so is it the MA itself being faulty then ?
2018-8-2
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

quick shot and POI use GPS, geometry and object detection to do these circles, in the case of quick shot, if the drone loses sight of the object or does not recognize it, it will sort of stick at roughly where the object was. It might be possible that you had the drone regain the object at some point, though I cant say for sure. POI however only roughly points toward the center, which is the best it can do. Like others have said, mastering circles manually is infinitely better, as you are able to compensate for any misalignment with your focus. I can tell you that this is difficult at first, but it requires a lot of practice and it will pay off. One thing that makes it easier is modifying the Expo rates to slow the yaw and other inputs.
2018-8-2
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

All auto mode are not 100% perfect. It only works under certain conditions. You need to understand how it works and be very careful monitoring the process.
2018-8-2
Use props
lunag
lvl.1
Malaysia

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 2018-8-2 21:12
quick shot and POI use GPS, geometry and object detection to do these circles, in the case of quick shot, if the drone loses sight of the object or does not recognize it, it will sort of stick at roughly where the object was. It might be possible that you had the drone regain the object at some point, though I cant say for sure. POI however only roughly points toward the center, which is the best it can do. Like others have said, mastering circles manually is infinitely better, as you are able to compensate for any misalignment with your focus. I can tell you that this is difficult at first, but it requires a lot of practice and it will pay off. One thing that makes it easier is modifying the Expo rates to slow the yaw and other inputs.

will try the POI
2018-8-9
Use props
lunag
lvl.1
Malaysia

GDL Posted at 2018-8-2 21:17
All auto mode are not 100% perfect. It only works under certain conditions. You need to understand how it works and be very careful monitoring the process.

ok
2018-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules