What a let down... First day and no joy...
1155 11 2015-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

First off I like to say Howdy to you fine folks... I am new to all of this... So I hope I don't come off as too much of a noob.

I have been wanted a quad-copter for sometime now and made the plunge just yesterday. I got me one of them Phantom 3 Advanced. Since I am new too all of this I actually took the time to watch the videos and even read the all of the documentation. Even before I powered up. I know who does that....

I followed along with the DJI's video and did the per-flight check list where I tested the motors and what not. All of the motors seemed find all started up fine...

So I stated to look around at DJI pilot to get an idea where stuff is at. I toggle into still camera mode the screen looks like this.

I thought that maybe a firmware issue may be causing this. I went to bed...

Fist thing after coffee I read and watch videos on how to update the firmware. Again since I am a noob and want to make sure I do everything right. I followed the procedure and got the text file saying all was good.

Oh boy my first flight... I sent up the DSLR to take videos of this monumental moment. I had it all planed out with what I wanted to do. I want to take off and fly left right back for forth and land. Nothing to wild.

I go to start the motors and nothing... then the thing just started to beep and me... At this point... um well... I am sure this is a family forum and don't want to get my mouth washed out with soap... I was not happy...

So I looked at the aircraft status and I see there's a red triangle with a ! on overall status...

and with I click on that I see this...

I used the chat for DJI tech support and after a couple of hours of fussing they say hardware problem... Contact DJI USA...

So here I sit on a long weekend with nothing to do... Murphy law chapter 4 section 14 I guess

Sorry for this being my first post... It just I am all hummfff... for lack of anything else to say.
2015-5-24
Use props
rhutty
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Worryingly I have seen that last screen twice. Tried pushing top of all connectors nothing changed. Powered down then back up and all was normal. The second time was during the last update when I thought it was going wrong and turned it off during the update. Got loud beep beep and that error message....scary . Left it running outside and a while later beeping had stopped and all appeared normal.
Have only got 5 1/2 hours on it, never had a rough landing or any form of crash (I'm cautious and an experienced RC pilot). So I hope that error message isn't a sign of a developing fault.
RayH
2015-5-24
Use props
rhutty
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Also Spankybear hope you sort yours out soon...... Selfish of me going on about my minor problems when your bird seems to have real issues
2015-5-24
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Hi Spanky and welcome to the crazy world of Phantoms.

When l got my P3P right out of the box it gave me that error and made strange noises. l performed the advanced IMU calibration and the error went away.

Your app looks different to mine, you must be on Android. lt says you're in Atti, is that because it wasn't picking up satellites or did you move the switch at the top-left? lt should be in P if it's your first ever flight.

Also, did you do the compass calibration? Even if it didn't prompt you to, it should be done in the location of your first flight away from metal structures, towers, fences, etc.

Good luck, l'd love to see your pics once you get it airborne.
Andrea.
2015-5-24
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-5-25 06:58
Hi Spanky and welcome to the crazy world of Phantoms.

When l got my P3P right out of the box it gav ...

Got to asked how do you do an advance IMU calibration? Did I miss that in the user guide?

I did do a compass cal right before I was going to fly and all seemed to work well there with the yellow to green light.

I missed the atti. I have the switch in P sine I am a noob and want all of the training wheels I can get.

Can you flash back to an older firmware.  Maybe there's something croruped in the flash I did?
2015-5-24
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l don't think you can revert the FW once you've updated.

To do the IMU calibration, click the 4 dots at the top-right corner of the app. Then from the icons down the left side of the box that pops up, select the copter in the top one. Then click "sensors", and the right-hand IMU calibration box.
This NEEDS to be done on a flat surface away from vibration or interference. l use my floor.

After that cal is complete, you'll need to re-do your gimbal calibration in the gimbal parameter settings (same place, but choose camera instead of copter and go from there).

l would also re-calibrate my sticks and wheels after an IMU cal because l'm anal. Or if you didn't do them already, this would be the perfect time to do it (in the remote icon).
2015-5-24
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

You said your app looked different than my screen shots. I take it you are on an ios device? I don't see the 4 dots or anything like sensors that I have found. I will have to look some more.  
2015-5-24
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Yes, l just looked back at your pic, l'm guessing the cog-wheel in the top-right of your app is the same as the dots in mine. l can put up screen shots if you get lost on anything, but if you scroll and open every page under every category you'll see all the things you need to do.
2015-5-24
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

Eureka! I found it...  On the android app it's on the top left corner next to the home icon. It's the mode button. This takes you to MC setting and then you can select advance settings. All sort of setting there. I am charging the battery now and will try to calibrate the IMU with a full battery.

Thanks so much! I do hope this helps.
2015-5-24
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Spankybear Posted at 2015-5-25 08:51
Eureka! I found it...  On the android app it's on the top left corner next to the home icon. It's th ...

l'm sure it will. There's another post going on that gave this link to IMU cal:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-14894-1-1.html
2015-5-24
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

WOOHOO First flight! Thank you thank you thank you!!!! Wow this is addicting.... WOW!

That did it... I am guessing you know that already
2015-5-24
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Spankybear Posted at 2015-5-25 10:02
WOOHOO First flight! Thank you thank you thank you!!!! Wow this is addicting.... WOW!

That did it.. ...

Excellent! Happy flying.
2015-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules