Magnetic interference
8109 18 2018-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Delmar01
lvl.1
United States

Trying to figure this out by myself is not working. Have a new Mavic Pro. Having trouble with return to home. Seems like my home point is off by a few feet every time ( 10-30 ft). I have calibrated the compas. When she asks me to "verify on the map" my arrow and dot are not on top of each other. Getting a message on the remote controller that says "Magnetic Interference". Done this in several locations. I noticed my Ipad Mini is magnetic on both long edges. Can this have anything to do with it? Apprecate any suggestons. tx, delmar
2018-8-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi. Sorry for the trouble caused. Please make sure to remove away any magnetic things like watches or any accessories when you calibrate the compass. If you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.
2018-8-4
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

ya something isn't right. You would be surprised what will show up as magnetic interference.
2018-8-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you launching from a foldable Matt .
2018-8-4
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Smart watches cause problems. I no longer wear one when flying.
2018-8-4
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

2018-8-4
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Had a similar problem . I came across a video that talked about the magnetic edge of the iPad. It said to make sure the lighting cable was connected on the left side of the iPad since that would put the magnetic edge away from the controller. It was demonstrated on an iPad mini 4. Showed magnetic interference with the cable on the right and no interference or very little when it was on the left.
Tried to find the video for you with no results...Sorry.

Hope you get the RTH problem resolved.
2018-8-4
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-4 12:18
Are you launching from a foldable Matt .

What does this have to do with it?   I launch from a foldable mat now (second time today) and had my first mag interference WHILE IN FLIGHT OVER WATER!  My MP dropped into ATTI as a result.   Is the mat a known problem?

LP
2018-8-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LeafPeeper Posted at 2018-8-4 15:24
What does this have to do with it?   I launch from a foldable mat now (second time today) and had my first mag interference WHILE IN FLIGHT OVER WATER!  My MP dropped into ATTI as a result.   Is the mat a known problem?

LP

No not a known problem, but your mat does contain a metal ring so try without mat and see how you get on.
2018-8-4
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hmm....I thought you were talking about the foldable kind, not the 'expandable' round ones.   I've used a round one with a metal ring for the past year without incident.   I recently bought one of the 'foldable' ones - like the freewill 50cm square that folds down into 1/6th its size.   It doesn't appear to have any metal at all.   I was wondering if I was missing something.

LP
2018-8-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

After you have calibrated Mavic Pro compasses (there are two), are both Magnetic Interference status bars short and green?  

You can find Magnetic Interference status under Drone Menu / Advanced / Senstor State / Compass

See this POST on how to access and bars.

2018-8-4
Use props
Delmar01
lvl.1
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-8-4 13:28
Had a similar problem . I came across a video that talked about the magnetic edge of the iPad. It said to make sure the lighting cable was connected on the left side of the iPad since that would put the magnetic edge away from the controller. It was demonstrated on an iPad mini 4. Showed magnetic interference with the cable on the right and no interference or very little when it was on the left.
Tried to find the video for you with no results...Sorry.

Thanks, will check that out!
2018-8-5
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Seems like some of the MPs are more sensitive to magnetic interference than others. I've heard of people having to take their watch off in order to avoid the warning. I know that if I'm near a steel building or a house with metal siding/roof, I'll get this error myself. Just have to move away from them and it goes away. If you're not wearing any metal or near metal objects, then might be a sensor issue. As a test, try to go out in the boonies and make sure you've not got anything metal on/around you and see if you get the same issue.
2018-8-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Paul_IA Posted at 2018-8-5 05:18
Seems like some of the MPs are more sensitive to magnetic interference than others. I've heard of people having to take their watch off in order to avoid the warning. I know that if I'm near a steel building or a house with metal siding/roof, I'll get this error myself. Just have to move away from them and it goes away. If you're not wearing any metal or near metal objects, then might be a sensor issue. As a test, try to go out in the boonies and make sure you've not got anything metal on/around you and see if you get the same issue.

Based on all compass testing and calibrating I have done with my Mavic Pro P.  
With exceptions for being inside metal building or surrounded by steel...
Only need to be out in Boonies (more than 10-meters away from sources of magnetic interference) when calibrating Mavic Pro's compasses.
When picking a takeoff spot for flying, over a meter away should not cause magnetic interference.

Have read about problems calibrating drone's compass when parts of drone have become magnetized,  person has ferrous metal on them (or in them), or SmartDevice has magnets as part of cover like with covers for iPads.
2018-8-5
Use props
arg_tigger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2189816 ft
Argentina

Guys, its me again, this is what I know so far, my MA will take off only if I turn it on under a roof (or as soon as I turn it on and pairs with my remote I take off) so it will start flying on vision mode and only once flying I can fly it outdoors and wait for it to get GPS signal and I will be able to then yes fly it wihtout restrictions, this is so far the only way I'm able to fly my MA since I traveled to Argentina from NY.

As I posted https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =133778&pid=1397212 even with my compass signal in green the calibration fails, doesn't matter if I have my Apple watch far away or any other electronics, even the remote control with my iphone its far away and still the calibration fails. From what I've seen so far this doesn't look like a human error, why I say this, cause before coming to Argentina (South America), I was living in NY and flew my MA there multiple times, most of those times in the city (Manhattan) where for sure there are more cell and WIFI antennas that could cause interference and it never asked me to calibrate the compass like it happens here in Argentina.

Reading around this Forum I found people complaining about really similar issues, basically when they travelled south of the hemisphere the compass started complaining and didn't matter how the tried to calibrate it, never worked, and there is one that had this issue when traveling to Brazil, went back to the USA without being able to fly his drone even once but the day he set foot back in the USA he was able to calibrate and fly it without any problems. Post: https://forum.dji.com/thread-148996-1-1.html

Another user (djiuser_YqxJsq3O8g9j) in South Africa having the same issue: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =133778&pid=1236803

Some other posts found about Mavic Airs having compass issues:
- https://forum.dji.com/thread-142696-1-1.html
- https://forum.dji.com/thread-145306-1-1.html
- https://forum.dji.com/thread-133778-3-1.html

Any ideas on why this might be happening? I'm going back to the US in some weeks so I'm planning on taking it with me and try it over there and see if it keeps happening there.
2018-8-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Paul_IA Posted at 2018-8-5 05:18
Seems like some of the MPs are more sensitive to magnetic interference than others. I've heard of people having to take their watch off in order to avoid the warning. I know that if I'm near a steel building or a house with metal siding/roof, I'll get this error myself. Just have to move away from them and it goes away. If you're not wearing any metal or near metal objects, then might be a sensor issue. As a test, try to go out in the boonies and make sure you've not got anything metal on/around you and see if you get the same issue.

I have owned Mavic Pro for almost 2 years now, I have calibrated it twice, I have flown it hundreads if miles and thousands of miles away, I have never received warning to calibrate and I believe this is the same for almost all users, if your compass asks for calibration just move it , that should take care of it.

Calibration gives the compass the information it needs to determine which magnetic influences are part of the Mavic and what is the earth's normal magnetic field.
The compass doesn't lose calibration and doesn't ever need re-calibration unless you add or remove equipment to/from the Mavic

2018-8-6
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just a thought??

Northern Hemisphere  --->  Southern Hemisphere

No issues???  Or are the issues as the OP is stating.......I have no idea

Randy
2018-8-6
Use props
djiuser_8hpYSnzXzcAZ
New

United Kingdom

Mullheliflier Posted at 2018-8-4 12:31
Smart watches cause problems. I no longer wear one when flying.

That tip about smart watches is a life-saver. It was driving me mad, and then I found this post.
2019-12-21
Use props
fansa4f2cbf6
New

Serbia

Problem is whit earth magnetic field, weak field and pole moving are making problems.
2020-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules