Mavic Air owners that used to have a Spark....
2122 21 2018-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
el pelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236768 ft

Mavic Air owners..I am currently using the Spark and it is totally capable for my needs. The only real problem I have with it is the weak signal transmission between the camera and my iPhone 7 plus. I have an OTG cable, I've got my phone in airplane mode yet the signal seems laggy and drops off frequently.

If I upgrade to a Mavic Air should I expect this signal to improve? Anyone care to chime in who previously owned the Spark and got the Mavic Air. Thanks
2018-8-4
Use props
XAFAfterShock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40771 ft

I would hold off on the mavic air until the next firmware release and even then I would wait and see what issues are still being reported. I had the spark and would frequently get the weak signal message on android but without the otg cable, never got it on the mavic air but haven't flown it much on the current firmware. Too much of a risk.
2018-8-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try as well turning off Bluetooth.
2018-8-4
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had an OTG cable initially in my Spark, but was able to get a good Wi-fi connection with my iPhone 7 Plus. I have just upgraded my Spark to a Mavic Air and have been suffering a lot of video connection losses, although the aircraft remains connected with the transmitter. These have been happening even at a very close range of 30-50m. I flew four batteries last weekend. The first three were fine, I had constant video break ups with the 4th battery, so it was maybe one of the components, aircraft, controller or iPhone getting hot
2018-8-4
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Honestly, it's pretty close. Most of the time the air does better, though I haven't had the best strength possible. Then again, I'm usually in the city versus out in the open.
2018-8-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

In which region are you flying, CE or FCC?
2018-8-4
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Having own both Spark and Air, I think both have same weak transmission.  I just purchased the Air a week ago just to satisfy my need for a new drone while waiting for the 2nd "bigger picture"
2018-8-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience, may I know what is the version of your app as well as the firmware? May we have the model of your device? Please keep us posted for further assistance.
2018-8-5
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sometimes I really have to question if the administrators even bother to read the thread or just paste a response.
2018-8-5
Use props
Kirbz252
Second Officer
Flight distance : 360138 ft
Australia

I have a Spark and bought a MA last week, as Sparky is currently on holiday with my partner and I needed a drone for a job interview (lol).

The Mavic has been much more stable with regard to WiFi signal than the Spark was, although I had a scary issue flying close to Melbourne CBD on the weekend where the Mavic was reporting all sorts of "aircraft interference". I guess I was surrounded by routers etc. Plus, many people have said v.0400 is problematic.

As much as I was waiting for the Mavic 2, the leaked photos didn't excite me all that much and I wanted something super portable for travel. The increased battery life is hugely noticeable, and I feel far less stressed in getting the shot I want.
2018-8-5
Use props
el pelo
lvl.3
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-4 14:55
In which region are you flying, CE or FCC?

I am not sure what this means? I only remember seeing 2.4 or 5.8 wifi signals
2018-8-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

el pelo Posted at 2018-8-6 05:04
I am not sure what this means? I only remember seeing 2.4 or 5.8 wifi signals

Ok, now I can see that you are in the US, the other day your country was not displayed in the forum. This means you are in the FCC transmission standard region, which is the best (strongest) signal.
2018-8-6
Use props
JERRY K
lvl.3
Flight distance : 308327 ft
United States

XAFAfterShock Posted at 2018-8-4 10:40
I would hold off on the mavic air until the next firmware release and even then I would wait and see what issues are still being reported. I had the spark and would frequently get the weak signal message on android but without the otg cable, never got it on the mavic air but haven't flown it much on the current firmware. Too much of a risk.

I'm flying with current firmware and it is perfect!
2018-8-6
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-8-5 13:10
Sometimes I really have to question if the administrators even bother to read the thread or just paste a response.

At time, I have the impression that some of these 'administrators' or in fact just bots ....
2018-8-6
Use props
bapski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56171 ft
United States

ive seen a youtube video where the MA flew up to 4000meters on both 2.4 and 5.8 frequencies.

2018-8-6
Use props
DirkGerrit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 276424 ft

No more fear for ATTI mode was worth the change for me...
2018-8-6
Use props
el pelo
lvl.3
United States

DirkGerrit Posted at 2018-8-6 11:02
No more fear for ATTI mode was worth the change for me...

I used to get ATTI mode with mavic pro but never the spark
2018-8-6
Use props
Parik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1643773 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I owned spark but i am satified with mavic air transmission signal, range is much better than spark for sure
2018-8-6
Use props
Klaus W.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 118366 ft

Flying both, never had any issues:
Spark w/ RC using OTG on iPhone 6s having WiFi & Bluetooth enabled all the time, no SIM installed though, drone always in sight and < 100m AGL,
MA dto
2018-8-8
Use props
lolsquid321
lvl.3
Flight distance : 693406 ft

ive flew both and my spark had more issues then my air, i used both litchi and go4 and transmission would go off and on 1k ft, while my air can go way out past my los comfort zone. one prime example is my university, i flew around with my spark and couldnt get past 1100ft and thats includes me following it, with my mavic air i can get up to 2570ft and could still go further without even moving from take off spot, so all in all i love my mavic air
2018-8-9
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

It may not be related, but sometimes its the simple things that cause the biggest problems....

Make sure that you are keeping the flat side of your antenna pointed at the Spark no matter where you are at.  Also make sure that you don't have any obstructions between the aircraft and your RC antenna.  The 2.4 or 5.8GHz RF wavelengths used are terrible for penetrating anything.  Even small trees between you and the aircraft will cause a significant degradation of the signal.  

Here is a video I created a while back about the proper way to orient your antenna.

2018-8-9
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

I use Spark before and it’s very bad in place with WiFi and short range in open area. MA is much better than Spark. In place with many WiFi signal I still can fly 2-300 meters without problem. In country side no problem to 500 meters and Spark can’t go over 200. Range of MA is much better than Spark in general. But if you want to go for miles away better look for MP or MP2.
2018-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules