Main Controller Data Error??
2080 11 2018-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Anyone ever come across this one? Flying a 6-mo old MA with all latest FW using the regular MA RC running DJI Go4 on an iPhone 7s. It’s slightly above max spec temp of 104F here in the Phoenix, AZ area. A possible factor? The MA very definitely runs fairly warm under these conditions!
2018-8-4
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

Note - I can’t seem to post the iphone screen pic, but the error msg was in a banner at the top left of the (landscape-oriented) iPhone’s screen. Spooked me enuf to bag my flying session after the 1st battery...
2018-8-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience, the operating of the Mavic Air is 0°C - 40°C, using the drone beyond this operating temperature may affect the performance of your drone and you might encounter an error message, however, I would like to ask if you manage to fly the drone in an advisable temperature to see if the issue will persist? I would recommend calibrating the IMU and compass of your drone for stable flight. Please keep us posted in any case you need our assistance.
2018-8-5
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

Will do - thanks very much. Unfortunately right now the Valley of the Sun is more like the Surface of the Sun. It’ll be September before we see much daytime temperature relief. I’ll most likely  try an indoor flight (with prop guards on) to see if I’m still getting the error message at room temperatures.
2018-8-5
Use props
Jws926
lvl.1
United States

Got that same error yesterday, I too am in the Phoenix Metro area.
2018-8-5
Use props
nywrecker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 832421 ft

I had the same problem, also flying in hot weather. See my post https://forum.dji.com/thread-157580-1-1.html
One admin said it was due to the SD card (!?!).
Another one that it may battery related....
2018-8-5
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

Very interesting - thanks for the additional data points. The full SD card thing smells like a red herring; makes no sense and I was just a few minutes into a freshly formatted 64 Gb card (running the vid at 2.7K 60 FPS). But a barometer “error” reading adversely influenced by high outdoor ambient temperature flying (seems odd to label it as a “main controller data error,” tho) just plain makes FAR more sense to me. I’ll be attempting an extended duration indoor hover test soon to satisfy myself that this data error does NOT occur at (FAR) more benign indoor temps. That will convince me it’s just plain too freakin’ hot to fly outdoors in the Phoenix Metro area for now!
2018-8-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-8-5 18:56
Very interesting - thanks for the additional data points. The full SD card thing smells like a red herring; makes no sense and I was just a few minutes into a freshly formatted 64 Gb card (running the vid at 4K 60 FPS). But a barometer “error” reading adversely influenced by high outdoor ambient temperature flying (seems odd to label it as a “main controller data error,” tho) just plain makes FAR more sense to me. I’ll be attempting an extended duration indoor hover test soon to satisfy myself that this data error does NOT occur at (FAR) more benign indoor temps. That will convince me it’s just plain too freakin’ hot to fly outdoors in the Phoenix Metro area for now!

Please ensure that there are no interferences indoors as this process is risky. Kindly keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you.
2018-8-6
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-6 11:19
Please ensure that there are no interferences indoors as this process is risky. Kindly keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you.

Absolutely! I found that out the very first time I flew my Spark indoors. Tried to think of everything - shut down all wi-fi routers & access points throughout the house, put all cell phones and tablets into airplane mode, popped batteries on all cordless (land line) phone handsets, plus walked the house and made sure ALL accessible indoor rooms were well-lit. Set the drone down for take-off only to get an immediate compass error and request to reposition or recalibrate. D’oh! Forgot my home is built on post-tensioned concrete slab, so it’s chock full of rebar in a grid pattern. I must’ve picked a spot right over some! So I simply picked up the drone, set it down just  8 inches farther away - problem immediately solved! Took off with a good VPS fix, holding position just fine with minimal drift, made a small correction and then immediately switched into tripod mode, and from that point had a completely uneventful flight making a full indoor circuit of the house. I will of course be similarly cautious with the MA. Gotta admit, tho, that first indoor take-off was definitely a heart-pounding moment...
2018-8-6
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

I think I have today finally proved to my satisfaction that the MA just plain doesn’t like flying in hot ambient conditions.

Experiment:  Yesterday I flew the MA outside shortly before dusk but with outside temps (Phoenix AZ metro area) still in the misd-90’s. After the 2nd take-off & landing, less than 50% into my first battery, I again got “Main Controller Data Error” messages in the DJI Go4 app (banner at upper left of window). So I packed it in at that point.

So today I conducted an experiment and flew my MA indoors for the very first time (with prop guards on, of course, ambient temps 77-78F). 1st battery I flew 3 separate take-offs & landings, no probs whatsoever, finally landed after getting the initial 30% low battery warning.

2nd battery I flew one long leisurely indoor circuit all the way down to 31% battery & landed. No probs whatsoever.
Flight was stable as a rock - I had taken care to turn on all interior lights in all rooms I flew thru.

So I can only conclude that the “Main Controller Data Error” warning messages I’ve been seeing are simply a result of flying when it’s just too damned hot outside. I’ll resume outdoor flying once local temps drop below the 90s!
2018-9-2
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

Methinks I’ve now totally proven to my satisfaction the high temp theory as being at the root of the Main Controller Data Error messages I’ve been getting flying outdoors even as “low” as in the mid-90’s F. Flew out 2 more batteries indoors a few days ago with absolutely zero problems. Verdict: further outdoor flying is just gonna have to wait until the Phoenix metro area cools down a bit more!

2018-9-11
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

First over temp I have seen on this forum. Shout out to AZ.
2018-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules