Air Travel w/Drones
977 8 2018-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_gOZ6rCGyVlH9
New

Just curious how many have traveled by commercial flight with a drone and batteries on board? Are there any regulations for doing so?

And how many have traveled internationally with drones? Is there a convenient guide or info source for this type of travel?
2018-8-4
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Have travelled with Spark to South Africa, US, Thailand and other. Always took them (Spark and batteries) to the cabin. Never was asked any question. Taking off is another story in every country
2018-8-4
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've traveled international and in within the US with the Spark and 5 batteries. ALWAYS, bring the batteries in your carry on. Some say discharge the batteries before bringing on the airplane but I never have. I would look up rules for the specific airline before travel so there are no surprises. I've never had security or airline say anything.
2018-8-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry, you may coordinate this concern as well to the airport for you to know what would be their policy and for further details as well. Thank you for the support.
2018-8-5
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

UK to

Czech Republic
Thailand
Cambodia

Regulations depend on the country (you're leaving) and sometimes airport

As a rule lipo batteries should be taken on board as they can explode in the hold due to sudden changes in temperature, the FAA require batteries to be in lipo bags and generally have the terminals covered up.  If in doubt check the airport and airline website
2018-8-6
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

If only this forum had a search function...... A drone is nothing special.  Its a camera/plastic toy with a battery so just treat it as such.  Carry on (due to battery), ideally tape the terminals on spares.  And thats it.  

...but legally check drones are actually allowed in the country you're flying to and make sure you check the local laws before arriving to avoid breaking them.

2018-8-6
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Ridg Posted at 2018-8-6 00:16
UK to

Czech Republic
the FAA require batteries to be in lipo bags

That is completely untrue.  They require no such thing.
2018-8-6
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-6 02:15
That is completely untrue.  They require no such thing.

https://www.faa.gov/about/initia ... more_info/?hazmat=7

Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only. When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside, all spare lithium batteries must be removed from the bag and kept with the passenger in the aircraft cabin. The battery terminals must be protected from short circuit.

"Battery terminals (usually the ends) must be protected from short circuit (i.e., the terminals must not come in contact with other metal). Methods include: leaving the batteries in their retail packaging, covering battery terminals with tape, using a battery case, using a battery sleeve in a camera bag, or putting them snugly in a plastic bag or protective pouch.

See the regulation: 49 CFR 175.10(a)(18)"

2018-8-6
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Ridg Posted at 2018-8-6 03:25
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only. When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside, all spare lithium batteries must be removed from the bag and kept with the passenger in the aircraft cabin. The battery terminals must be protected from short circuit.

Thank you for proving me completely correct.  So in summary the FAA regulations do NOT say you need to use a bag.

Covering the battery terminals with tape is completely acceptable, a plastic sleeve in a camera bag is acceptable.  As the FAA themselves say, you can even just throw them in a plasic ziplock bag.

So they do not require a bag.  Nowhere in the world requires a bag.  Not one airline.  (Because they generally dont work anyway).

(Also the mavic battery terminals are internal and already covered but you can tape them if you want).
2018-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules