Mavic Pro Veering slightly right
1664 18 2018-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80364 ft
Norway

Only just noticed this as I recently turned off beginner mode and can now fly faster and higher.

Basically, going full throttle with factory settings in P-mode had my mavic veer slightly to the right at higher altitudes (can't remember exactly why it was set to). It didn't seem to do this at lower ones. I'll try and get a video of it when I'm out next. It wasn't a particularly windy day, perhaps 2m/s at ground level.

Is this due to wind or something else?
2018-8-5
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience. It might be because of the wind. Is there any error message showing in the app? How's the GPS going during that event?
2018-8-5
Use props
jmark
lvl.2
Norway

No errors, and getting 20 satellites is the norm here. I'll do a few tests tomorrow evening and film it.
2018-8-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

jmark Posted at 2018-8-5 06:31
No errors, and getting 20 satellites is the norm here. I'll do a few tests tomorrow evening and film it.

Maybe recalibrate your controller. Your sticks may be a little off center.
2018-8-5
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

As said above ... I would recommend recalibrate  your drone and controller carefully.
2018-8-5
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Alright. Please let us know if you still need a help. You may try to also calibrate the aircraft before taking off.
2018-8-5
Use props
jmark
lvl.2

Okay so here is a video I recorded of me trying to calibrate. Sorry for the appalling quality, it was recorded on an iPhone

https://youtu.be/jWHCNmQLdnI
2018-8-6
Use props
jmark
lvl.2
Norway

So, I did some experiments (not very good ones) but this is what I found out about the veering to the right.

UAV Forecast screen shot before take off.

Can't remember exactly, but this is about 50m up, full speed in P-mode.

Although saying all this and I just noticed it veering to the left on the way back, so this is maybe a wind thing after all.
2018-8-6
Use props
jmark
lvl.2
Norway

PS. The above footage is of the drone flying away from me.
2018-8-6
Use props
jmark
lvl.2
Norway

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-5 07:41
Alright. Please let us know if you still need a help. You may try to also calibrate the aircraft before taking off.

Still need help on this See above for updated info.
2018-8-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

jmark Posted at 2018-8-7 06:55
Still need help on this  See above for updated info.

Hello. Sorry for the late response. It seems normal for me, sir. It could be the wind.
2018-8-7
Use props
jmark
lvl.2
Norway

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-7 07:53
Hello. Sorry for the late response. It seems normal for me, sir. It could be the wind.

Okay, well I'll keep an eye on it for the time being. Thanks for the help!
2018-8-7
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Is it the actual mavic veering OR is it the gimbal drifting making it appear to yaw?
2018-8-7
Use props
jmark
lvl.2
Norway

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-7 07:57
Is it the actual mavic veering OR is it the gimbal drifting making it appear to yaw?

It is the actual Mavic. When viewed from my POV it is very obvious. Suppose I could get my fiancé to film it with her iPhone.
2018-8-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

jmark Posted at 2018-8-7 07:56
Okay, well I'll keep an eye on it for the time being. Thanks for the help!

No problem. Please let us know if you still need any help.
2018-8-7
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

IF you upload the log file to phantomhelp or dropbox then we can see if there is an actual heading change vs controller input to debug it more.
Im surprised - gimbal drift is really common, yaw drift is rarer.
2018-8-7
Use props
jmark
lvl.2
Norway

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-7 08:01
IF you upload the log file to phantomhelp or dropbox then we can see if there is an actual heading change vs controller input to debug it more.

I'll get on to this today. I'll record another flight and upload the logs.
2018-8-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Find a known straight fence line with 90-degree corner, and more straight fencing.
Pick a spot couple hundred yards from corner.

Use camera's cross hairs / grid line to line up drone.  Start video recording.
Fly straight forward, no direction compensation (no left / right joystick input).
At corner, repeat line up and fly down that side for couple hundred yards.

Then do a 180 to return home.  Repeat process of lining up with fence, and flying straight forward.
At corner, repeat line up and fly down it till reaching starting point.

Above should allow you to eliminate any wind drift issues vs. veering, and give you good idea if your drone tends fly straight, slighly left, or slightly right.
My Mavic Pro P, tends to fly slightly to right, but not enough to worry about.  Far bigger issues to deal with.

2018-8-7
Use props
jmark
lvl.2
Norway

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-7 08:01

So, here is a log to my first flight this morning. Severe veering to the right when at full throttle in P-mode.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... G-/view?usp=sharing

Basically, any time the craft is flying in a long straight line on the map, it veers right.

Any help?

I tried recalibrating everything; IMU, compass and controller but it hasn't help.

The following video is from about 2mins into the above flight. The trees were hardly moving so there can't have been that much wind. I had the crosshairs centered dead on the large tree and it the veering was quite substantial at only 12m in height. The craft was virtually flying diagonally. You also see that when I stop the craft shifts to the right slightly. Could this just be wind or it is something to consider returning the Mavic back about?

2018-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules