Phantom 3 Case and Travel around Europe
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fireburst
lvl.1

Spain

I have ordered a Phantom 3 Professional which I hope will be dispatched next week.

I ordered a case which looks quite good as I need a case for a trip around Europe

Phantom 3 Carry Case

however I am now a little unsure about the rules for transporting the batteries. Is it true that you are not allowed to carry the batteries on domestic flights? I would have extra batteries shipped to two destinations in advance, but I am not even sure my order will ship with the spare battery yet as they were on back order when I placed my order.
2015-5-25
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

You can carry them on you or in your carry-on luggage. You shouldn't put them in your check-in luggage.
2015-5-25
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

To safely carry batteries on a flight you want to have them discharged as much as possible first. There are also special bags for LiPo batteries that you can find on eBay and Amazon or any hobby shop that keep everything around them safe just in case anything does happen.
2015-5-25
Use props
fireburst
lvl.1

Spain

Ahh ok, that's not too bad then. I'll check out the special bags too.
2015-5-25
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

For air travel in the United States, this advisory covers you.  https://www.faa.gov/about/initia ... more_info/?hazmat=7  

The key element is that your quad can have a battery installed, but any spares need to be carried with you. While bags and such for carry have been discussed, I'd suggest a resealable plastic container with a form fitting foam liner. The thing you need to ensure is that the contacts must be protected.

For European travel, the IATA has different requirements.

I have two search and rescue lights that I'm going to have to purchase new batteries for because they exceed the 100  watt hour maximum requirement.

I'd much rather have to purchase a couple of $150 Phantom batteries than a  couple of $400 Maxa Beam batteries.
2015-5-25
Use props
fireburst
lvl.1

Spain

The Pro batteries are 68Wh correct? In that case I can carry as many spares as I want in carry-on luggage in Europe. Thanks for the info.
2015-5-25
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

fireburst Posted at 2015-5-25 22:51
The Pro batteries are 68Wh correct? In that case I can carry as many spares as I want in carry-on lu ...

You can carry as many as you can find.  Most folks posting are having a hard time getting the spare battery purchased with their quad. If you have numerous batteries, you did good.

And yes, the battery is 68 watt hour rated.

I would also suggest printing a copy of both documents as the folks charged with enforcement are clueless when it comes to prohibited items verses what "they" think are prohibited.
2015-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules