Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Improving signal
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bear5oh
lvl.2
United States

So, I did a search but couldn’t find a thread.

What ‘s your best practices or orientation to your aircraft to insure your best signal?

Antenna position, line of sight, etc.  

I get such varied distances that I need to find a solution.

Thanx for the help.
2018-8-6
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Keep the flat sides of antenna pointed at the AC.
2018-8-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello there. Thanks for reaching out DJI Forum. You can watch the video below for more information about best practices that you need to do to your remote controller antenna. If you have other concern, please let us know. Thank you.

2018-8-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Range will vary for lots of reasons or no reason.  Still - there are things you can do to maximize range.

Aim correctly as explained in posts 2 and 3 above.  

Make sure you understand all aspects of fail safe / RTH.  

Know your wind, both speed and direction.  Plan your flight path accordingly.

Fly in a rural area.

Fly in an open space are with few trees and a low horizon.

Know the airspace you're about to fly in.  Know about potential air traffic.  I like to check the sectional chart.  

Use a tripod.

Set the tripod down at the highest point of the nearby terrain.  

Make the tripod as tall as possible - not knee high and not waist high.  Chest high would be good.  

Plan your flight path depending on the wind.  Avoid a cross wind.  Aim your controller antennas just slightly above the horizon along your flight path.  Aim the strength of the signal just above that horizon like a sniper rifle.

Fly the AC straight out toward the horizon.  In calm winds, start about 50 feet AGL, fly out, and increase by 50' each time you see weakness in the signal.  Don't exceed 400' AGL.

Keep going.  Don't slow down at the first sign of signal weakness.  Push through it and keep the AC moving away from you at full speed regardless of the signal weakness warnings of the Go app.  Trust RTH.  

If your heart begins to beat rapidly and your hands begin to shake, you're half way there.

Good luck

2018-8-7
Use props
Bear5oh
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-8-7 10:50
Range will vary for lots of reasons or no reason.  Still - there are things you can do to maximize range.

Aim correctly as explained in posts 2 and 3 above.  

Thank you!!!!!!!!  I will begin trying all of this asap.  I've never pushed through the signal loss before, I've always one-eightied the bird.  It's gone into RTH a few times when I lose all signals.  I'm so glad these things are smarter than all of us.  
2018-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules