12Next >
4519 56 2018-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4755d21a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3186 ft
Canada

So I bought this drone on Wednesday 31st of July as a wedding present as I got married on the 4th thinking I will get some videos of the ceremony with the drone, however after looking at the forum and tutorials I wasn't ready. I took it on my first flight, on the 5th of August (first flight) the day after the wedding as the venue we were at was amazing massive open fields. I watched the videos and colloborated the drone, updated the firmware Then took it for a flight. My first few manual flights and quick shoot flights like dronie and Circle were great I even have videos to prove this, but here comes the spoiler helix malfunctioned and took the drone side ways into trees instead of circling & now the drone is sat somewhere on a branch that cannot be seen. I have asked Fire departments & also cherry pickers (scissors lift operators) as it cannot be seen it is impossible to retrieve. I am truely upset as the drone went side ways further away then truning in a circular motion & did not hover when it said it was going to. There was so much space not to mention the drone was set to beginers mode and still managed to dissapear. The product is not ready for such functions and cannot be relied on at all. I am really looking forward to the response from the Tech support as the drone is sat on a tree in Grimsby, Ontario - Canada.
Is there any thing I can do to get the drone. (no cannot climb the tree or cut is down as its part of the natural resevers)

Also how can I send you the flight record logs so that you can see it was a system error?

KR

Brijesh
2018-8-6
Use props
Brijoe
lvl.1
Canada

So no one had a fly away?
2018-8-6
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Find the corresponding flight record in DJIGO4 folder on your Android phone in FlightRecords map. The file is with. Txt
2018-8-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Brijoe Posted at 2018-8-6 21:15
So no one had a fly away?

Just click on link below and follow instructions come back here and post your link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-8-6
Use props
Roundhouse_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13228 ft
Netherlands

i thought quickshots arent possible in beginner mode? also the mavic doesnt have side cams so when flying sideways it can crash into a tree or wall and will t hover in place
2018-8-7
Use props
Rawsome
Second Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Sorry to hear that, it can be discouraging when the first experience are negative. How tall is the tree and is it possible to climb it? Was the drone still on (ie video feed) when it hit the tree?
If so have a look and see if you can somewhat make out its location.
This has been shared a few times and it might help you, best of luck and I hope you can recover your bird.
Please upload the logs so the big boys can have a look at them.

2018-8-7
Use props
Brijoe
lvl.1
Canada

nixuspix Posted at 2018-8-6 22:57
Find the corresponding flight record in DJIGO4 folder on your Android phone in FlightRecords map. The file is with. Txt

I do have this ready to show DJI experts as I was in a Drone save environment.  will send it to the DJI support when they ask for it.
2018-8-7
Use props
Brijoe
lvl.1
Canada

Roundhouse_ Posted at 2018-8-7 03:04
i thought quickshots arent possible in beginner mode? also the mavic doesnt have side cams so when flying sideways it can crash into a tree or wall and will t hover in place

Yes you are right The mavic Air does not have side sensors but they do have front, back and bottom sensors and when flying it below hand it did hover, from the footage and flight map it is clear that it just continued going off route, instead of circling it went straight.

To your first point the Mavic air does can do quickshot in beginners settings.
2018-8-7
Use props
Brijoe
lvl.1
Canada

Rawsome Posted at 2018-8-7 03:20
Sorry to hear that, it can be discouraging when the first experience are negative. How tall is the tree and is it possible to climb it? Was the drone still on (ie video feed) when it hit the tree?
If so have a look and see if you can somewhat make out its location.
This has been shared a few times and it might help you, best of luck and I hope you can recover your bird.

Thanks alot for this, yes the video was on and I do have a clip of it before it stopping and after it had tangled it self on the tree somewhere. It has been impossible to see exactly where in the tree it is or which tree it is on I do have GPS location on it but need to look from above as the tree is 60ft & more, unable to climb it as its too risky already spent hours of newly wedding time on it yesterday and the day before.

2018-8-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, Sorry to hear for what happens to your Drone. Here's what I can suggest to you, you can Reach out one of our Support channels by going to this link https://www.dji.com/support then you can choose between Online Support, Email, and Phone Support as well and Ask about the Process about Having a Data Analysis Regarding with Fly away Drone.
2018-8-7
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

In future, if you lose your drone, the Find My Drone feature should show you where it is on a map. Once you get close, assuming you still have power, you can click on the drone and you get the option to beep the ESC's and flash the LED's.
2018-8-7
Use props
Brijoe
lvl.1
Canada

OneDoesNotSimply Posted at 2018-8-7 09:36
In future, if you lose your drone, the Find My Drone feature should show you where it is on a map. Once you get close, assuming you still have power, you can click on the drone and you get the option to beep the ESC's and flash the LED's.

Yep I did that already hence  know where the drone is, but the light and sound did not work as it is high up in a tree
2018-8-7
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
Second Officer
United States

Might be worth checking around in a day or two in case the wind brought it down. Hope you do find it!
2018-8-7
Use props
4WDaus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

A couple of years ago, I used a guy that trims trees for a living, amazing what those guys can climb and how fast they scaled a 30m tall gum tree. Folding cash made the job cheaper. Good luck on the recovery.

Ps What caused your mishap, most cases it is pilot error. Most people don’t tend to wait long enough before takeoff to acquire enough satellites. Hope you get back in the air soon and the drone is still good shape.
2018-8-7
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

You should hold the controller on hand when performing auto flight function. When anything not looking good press the stop button and take over control.

See if the information below can help.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-160482-1-1.html
2018-8-8
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

The malfunction was not with the helix mode here...... you get where I'm going with this, so enough said. Hope you get it back and have many happy flights.
2018-8-8
Use props
Roundhouse_
lvl.3
Netherlands

Brijoe Posted at 2018-8-7 09:21
Yes you are right The mavic Air does not have side sensors but they do have front, back and bottom sensors and when flying it below hand it did hover, from the footage and flight map it is clear that it just continued going off route, instead of circling it went straight.

To your first point the Mavic air does can do quickshot in beginners settings.

ooh ok, i guess i misread i thought you meant it crashed sideways during helix. That said, heix is this only quickshot i almost never use because it gives me too much errors and most of the time just stops halfway

as for the beginner mode i never got quickshots to work properly unless i turned it off.

hope you get replaced somehow, always sucks when something so expensive crashes on its own
2018-8-8
Use props
Brijoe
lvl.1
Canada

Roundhouse_ Posted at 2018-8-8 02:43
ooh ok, i guess i misread i thought you meant it crashed sideways during helix. That said, heix is this only quickshot i almost never use because it gives me too much errors and most of the time just stops halfway

as for the beginner mode i never got quickshots to work properly unless i turned it off.

I know what you mean, it sucks especially as it was a wedding present for us for our wedding.  take a look at the following videos as it will show it went heywire.

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... b9GYdlT0DJbm4QuFo9v
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... 43d-lMH3wlStwHICcQE

Let me know if you can spot anything out of the norm.

Brij
2018-8-8
Use props
Brijoe
lvl.1
Canada

4WDaus Posted at 2018-8-7 14:05
A couple of years ago, I used a guy that trims trees for a living, amazing what those guys can climb and how fast they scaled a 30m tall gum tree. Folding cash made the job cheaper. Good luck on the recovery.

Ps What caused your mishap, most cases it is pilot error. Most people don’t tend to wait long enough before takeoff to acquire enough satellites. Hope you get back in the air soon and the drone is still good shape.

Thanks for that We tried arborist but as we cannot see the drone they are asking for $600 which is nearly the price of the drone.

everything was working fine its was went it was is in quickshot mode helix that the drone flew away.

here is a video of the flight route and controls on the DJI mavic remote.

Thanks for the advice though.

Brij
2018-8-8
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

I’m sorry for your loss, but the video looks like it was doing exactly what helix is supposed to do! It was gaining height and was increasing the radius from you... until it hit the tree! The fact that it appears to start going in a straight line is, I think, that the sensors starting detecting the tree branches in the lower-left and hence was attempting to avoid them. Unfortunately, as you know, it can't sense objects to the side...........
It just looks like you were flying way to close to the trees!
2018-8-8
Use props
MoNoAd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 946788 ft
Brunei

Since you lost the MA, whats your next plan, are you going to buy another MA? What are you going to do with the left over such as battery, Remote Control and other accessories you have purchase?
2018-8-8
Use props
Roundhouse_
lvl.3
Netherlands

Brijoe Posted at 2018-8-8 09:01
I know what you mean, it sucks especially as it was a wedding present for us for our wedding.  take a look at the following videos as it will show it went heywire.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dus2HG20VErryb9GYdlT0DJbm4QuFo9v

i compared your shot with several of mine and on youtube and yours is sure strange. in stead of keeping a steady sideways movement increasing in height and range yours surely starts to move backwards a lot more than normal. No idea what cause this though

i usally do a quickshot 2 times, 1 time with my hand on the pause button and if everthing is good i do the real one. however strange behavior like yours cannot really be compensated for and is jus terrible. i wonder what DJI wil say about the logs
2018-8-9
Use props
Brijoe
lvl.1
Canada

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-8-8 09:11
I’m sorry for your loss, but the video looks like it was doing exactly what helix is supposed to do! It was gaining height and was increasing the radius from you... until it hit the tree! The fact that it appears to start going in a straight line is, I think, that the sensors starting detecting the tree branches in the lower-left and hence was attempting to avoid them. Unfortunately, as you know, it can't sense objects to the side...........
It just looks like you were flying way to close to the trees!

If you compare both the flight route and the video footage you can see that there were no trees before it started to go straight it should have curved way before then, I have a friend who also has a MA and have watched all quickshoot function videos on youtube, the way that this drone behaved is not normal as you know helix does multiple loops and goes up as its doing so on its first loop it went out wide and then went  straight into the treetops also when the sensors detect obstacles the MA normally stops and hovers in its place for you to either take manual control.

Do you work for DJI?
e.g. one where it goes wrong aswell
2018-8-9
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Switzerland

No I do not work for DJI! I just feel that you were trying to do a Helix Quickshot way to close to those trees
2018-8-9
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Switzerland

Have you posted your flight data as suggested earlier? There are some smart cookies on here who can help analyse the flight for you
2018-8-9
Use props
Brijoe
lvl.1
Canada

Roundhouse_ Posted at 2018-8-9 04:17
i compared your shot with several of mine and on youtube and yours is sure strange. in stead of keeping a steady sideways movement increasing in height and range yours surely starts to move backwards a lot more than normal. No idea what cause this though

i usally do a quickshot 2 times, 1 time with my hand on the pause button and if everthing is good i do the real one. however strange behavior like yours cannot really be compensated for and is jus terrible. i wonder what DJI wil say about the logs

I know, as you never anticipate these things to happen, and although it is not normal I am really keen to see what DJI will say as I went through a lot of videos and an example was this one yet no idea why mine went far and wide than normal & if this is in the settings its not mentioned anywhere as it should detect the subject whilst on the move as well.

when taking shots like this you normally want to make them look great, The big day tshirts from our wedding were on and we were excited about the drone. But I must say if DJI come up with some random response then I will have to challenge them on it as this is a drone like a dslr so it should function as described for users like us, the only thing i can say is if I had flown it into a tree or crashed it whilst manual flying then I would not be contacting DJI, but since this has happened where i am in an extremely open field testing out its functions & it was the automated function that crashed it then dji need to explain why, weather it was a system error or bug, we will find out.

one thing you are right about it is that it should not have flown the way it had based on the helix function.
2018-8-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Brijoe Posted at 2018-8-9 07:17
If you compare both the flight route and the video footage you can see that there were no trees before it started to go straight it should have curved way before then, I have a friend who also has a MA and have watched all quickshoot function videos on youtube, the way that this drone behaved is not normal as you know helix does multiple loops and goes up as its doing so on its first loop it went out wide and then went  straight into the treetops also when the sensors detect obstacles the MA normally stops and hovers in its place for you to either take manual control.

Do you work for DJI?

In video (Post #23) it looks really windy.  Maybe not?  
Helix flight away is not smooth, it jumps in couple of spots.
2018-8-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Watching video where it crashed into the tree, I would think you could spot drone with a pair of binoculars, unless it has already fallen out of tree and into foliage and grass below.
If you know anybody who has a drone, it would be worth getting them to fly to spot last shown in video and have a look down and around.
I would take the crash video with you on a SmartDevice to assist with finding tree (aka crash spot).
2018-8-9
Use props
fans21546423
Second Officer
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

Ever heard the expression “A Bad workman, blames his tools !”

Yes its devastating. An expensive loss. However in this instance it looks at though the Mavic was doing exactly what you asked it to do. ..

You were trying to perform an automated feature where there was insufficient clear space or at a height for the feature to complete. YOU hit a tree.

Sorry bud , Lesson learnt ….
2018-8-9
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer

fans21546423 Posted at 2018-8-9 08:10

Yes its devastating. An expensive loss. However in this instance it looks at though the Mavic was doing exactly what you asked it to do. ..

You haven’t agreed with the OP, so be ready to be accused of being a DJI employee!
2018-8-9
Use props
Brijoe
lvl.1
Canada

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-8-9 07:24
Have you posted your flight data as suggested earlier? There are some smart cookies on here who can help analyse the flight for you

Yep its in the google drive link which i have also sent to DJI on this matter.
2018-8-9
Use props
Brijoe
lvl.1
Canada

fans21546423 Posted at 2018-8-9 08:10

Ok I agree there were trees but it they were clear of the flight path had the drone been performing a helix, and hence why i have sent the flight data, on one of the example videos there is a dude who is performing all the quickshot modes, his helix flight map compared to min is different mine goes backward in a straight line.  

recommend you watch this link,

2018-8-9
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer

Brijoe Posted at 2018-8-9 12:59
Yep its in the google drive link which i have also sent to DJI on this matter.

That’s not your downloaded flight data, that’s just a video recording of your flight path. I’ll find the link to how to post your actual, raw flight data and post it later
Follow the instructions at this linked site

Flight Log Viewer
2018-8-9
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
Second Officer
United States

Brijoe Posted at 2018-8-9 13:04
Ok I agree there were trees but it they were clear of the flight path had the drone been performing a helix, and hence why i have sent the flight data, on one of the example videos there is a dude who is performing all the quickshot modes, his helix flight map compared to min is different mine goes backward in a straight line.  

recommend you watch this link,

No, they're asking you to post your flight logs here so we here on the forums can analyze your flight:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

The logs are on your phone, instructions at the link.
2018-8-9
Use props
Amjad1983
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310489 ft
United Arab Emirates

I had similar experience before  my helical mode became unstable  and shaking  but did not go into crash accident as exactly happened with you ,it was very windy at the time
I hope DJI support can help you  in this issue
But believe me that you will become more cautious and expert flying  after this accident
2018-8-11
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

It's not the first case here on the forum, when people prefer to speculate about details and reasons without posting their flight data. I simply can't understand this
2018-8-11
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer

nixuspix Posted at 2018-8-11 10:20
It's not the first case here on the forum, when people prefer to speculate about details and reasons without posting their flight data. I simply can't understand this

Not posting the flight data, which is a simple task if the instructions are followed, smacks of someone just starting to doubt whether it was the drone at fault, but rather pilot error!
2018-8-11
Use props
Brijoe
lvl.1
Canada

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-8-9 14:11
That’s not your downloaded flight data, that’s just a video recording of your flight path. I’ll find the link to how to post your actual, raw flight data and post it later
Follow the instructions at this linked site

Hey pall,

Here are the complete flight log file with videos: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_bO-LW0sPUsHvtEWakged71Ugz91eii-

The main video I am interested in evaluating is the following specially the last 7 seconds of it : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dus2HG20VErryb9GYdlT0DJbm4QuFo9v
specially around the % distance increase & circular movement, weather it was maintaining its path or not. Watching the video the drone does move away and then crashes into the tree had it continued on its circular path it would of have missed the trees.

I know there are a lot of clever people on here who can look at this and see if the MA needs improvement or not also just to make sure this does not happen to anyone else's MA.

KR

2018-8-13
Use props
Brijoe
lvl.1
Canada

nixuspix Posted at 2018-8-11 10:20
It's not the first case here on the forum, when people prefer to speculate about details and reasons without posting their flight data. I simply can't understand this

Hey pall,

Here are the complete flight log file with videos: https://drive.google.com/open?id ... tEWakged71Ugz91eii-

The main video I am interested in evaluating is the following specially the last 7 seconds of it : https://drive.google.com/open?id ... b9GYdlT0DJbm4QuFo9v
specially around the % distance increase & circular movement, weather it was maintaining its path or not. Watching the video the drone does move away and then crashes into the tree had it continued on its circular path it would of have missed the trees.

I know there are a lot of clever people on here who can look at this and see if the MA needs improvement or not also just to make sure this does not happen to anyone else's MA.

KR
2018-8-13
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer

Why are you finding it sooo difficult to post your flight log? You need to follow ALL the instructions on the link I posted. The files you have posted are of no use!
2018-8-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules