Opinions on Osmo Plus, Audio Recording
2824 12 2018-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oceanblue
lvl.1

I don't yet own a DJI Osmo Plus, 4K Camera with Gimbal, but I would like to hear some actual owner opinions on the audio quality of these units. Is it a Stereo, or a mono recording system? and is there any great improvment by using an external Mic?
2018-8-6
Use props
Fabrizio B
lvl.4
Italy

The audio is mono ....not a great quality....with external mic is a little better
2018-8-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum for your query. Osmo plus has a built-in microphone that has up to 48 kHz output. You can adjust the microphone volume under Audio Volume Control. There is also an external microphone input wherein you can use an external microphone. The external microphone will override the audio reception of the built-in microphone.
2018-8-7
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158734 ft
Germany

Sorry to say that but the internal mic is rubbish. It's along the line of quality you know from mobile phones. By using the included mic the audio quality goes up 50% and makes it usable to do speech recordings or capture "some" sound.

This is a thing several reviews showed and this is why I ordered my osmo+ with an external mic (videomic rycote) right away. This has been a good decision
2018-8-13
Use props
Oceanblue
lvl.1

FntX Posted at 2018-8-13 01:55
Sorry to say that but the internal mic is rubbish. It's along the line of quality you know from mobile phones. By using the included mic the audio quality goes up 50% and makes it usable to do speech recordings or capture "some" sound.

This is a thing several reviews showed and this is why I ordered my osmo+ with an external mic (videomic rycote) right away. This has been a good decision

And if you use something like that better quality RODE Mic! ...Then the sound quality is good?  
2018-8-13
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Germany

Yes it is. I'm using it mostly for car videos and I think it's brilliant.

This recording has been made with -10db set on the mic itself...

2018-8-13
Use props
Oceanblue
lvl.1

FntX Posted at 2018-8-13 06:14
Yes it is. I'm using it mostly for car videos and I think it's brilliant.

This recording has been made with -10db set on the mic itself...

Sounds Good! and Nice Video quality as well!  Thanks FntX
2018-8-13
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Germany

You're welcome! By the way this is "raw" footage straight from the sdcard without any post production, with standard settings like AWB but with an ND16 PL filter. This is something you want to add to your shopping list as well to compensate for the fixed aperture (f/2.8)
2018-8-13
Use props
Oceanblue
lvl.1

FntX Posted at 2018-8-13 21:45
You're welcome! By the way this is "raw" footage straight from the sdcard without any post production, with standard settings like AWB but with an ND16 PL filter. This is something you want to add to your shopping list as well to compensate for the fixed aperture (f/2.8)

Just one other question FntX, is the Osmo capable of shooting Vertical as well as Horizontal format?  
2018-8-14
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Germany

AFAIK it's always horizontal and can't change due to the nature of the gimbal system itself.
But if you're planning to produce in 1080p, you could shoot in 4K and crop it to your needs.

(why on earth would one shoot vertical footage? )
2018-8-14
Use props
Oceanblue
lvl.1

FntX Posted at 2018-8-14 04:36
AFAIK it's always horizontal and can't change due to the nature of the gimbal system itself.
But if you're planning to produce in 1080p, you could shoot in 4K and crop it to your needs.

There's a guy I do a lot of work for, and has me cover parties he hosts, ..he Likes full length closeups including their feet, ...and thats been the only way to do it so far! LOL
2018-8-14
Use props
Oceanblue
lvl.1

Also I should have mentioned I have been using an i phone to shoot those Videos!
2018-8-14
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Germany

lol...
Nah, you should be fine. The field of view is quite wide and so it shouldn't be a problem to get everything on film.

BUT: If you're planning to shoot under low light conditions, the osmo+ doesn't cut it right away. You have to fiddle around with settings to get the most out of it. The post production will be even trickier. This is raw footage taken on a car park:

2018-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules