DJI: The Height Restriction Has Got To Go!
9448 103 2018-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-8 11:17
Try and see if can really keep your Drone in site at 400ft when its 4000ft away.

Brings up questions:

At 71, I fail on both 1 & 2.  Excellent point.
2018-8-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Goldchucker Posted at 2018-8-8 18:28
At 71, I fail on both 1 & 2.  Excellent point.

Questions came out of recent ''system'' problem, where I lost VLOS of ''the dot'' of a drone at distance, while trying to resolve said problem.  Distant, background behind drone was hills and trees.
2018-8-8
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

i was reading the thread but got confused.  So i'll ask this simply.  Is your problem with the 400 ft default restriction or the 1640 hard limit that DJI has put in?
2018-8-8
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-8-8 19:06
i was reading the thread but got confused.  So i'll ask this simply.  Is your problem with the 400 ft default restriction or the 1640 hard limit that DJI has put in?

The  DJI Go 4 app 500 meter/1640' limit is what i have a problem with.

Sorry about the others that got side tracked. I had no idea it would cause that to happen.
2018-8-9
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 408606 ft
  • >>>

Well, just for thought, not really sure how far the Dji wireless signal would work if it got much further out than currently capable of doing.  Honestly, might be be an idea to put the bird on a ladder, in an open field, and simple start walking..   Reason for the ladder is signal quality might be a bit better that just on the ground.  Anyone tried anything like this yet?
2018-8-11
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Just to remind everyone. We can apply for BVLOS (Beyond Visual Line Of Sight) waivers with the FAA. There is a webinar coming up to show us how to obtain one coming up on the FAA site. I'm already signed up for the webinar. Join me if you dare lol Link https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/webinar/ Some of us are interested in Aviation
The FAA has other manned aircraft webinars and seminars you can apply for too. I have participated in a few of them and they are quite enlightning i must say.
2018-8-11
Use props
Mittens
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1906 ft
United States

So in another thread, they are saying if you set the max height to 0, there is no limit.....

is this true or does this fix your problem?
2018-8-16
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Mittens Posted at 2018-8-16 07:15
So in another thread, they are saying if you set the max height to 0, there is no limit.....

is this true or does this fix your problem?

Do you have a link to the thread? I have no idea if this is true. If it is then yes that would be great thing for us that might need to fly higher than the 1640'/500 meter limit....has anyone tried this? I'll have to try it and see.
2018-8-16
Use props
Mittens
lvl.3
United States

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1515378

here is one of them but read it in another as well.
2018-8-16
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

ok thank you and i responded as well. I'm a total idiot if this is true for it to be that simple all along. I never thought to try it.
2018-8-16
Use props
Mittens
lvl.3
United States

I agree I would find it funny if this is true.. but I don't think it will work.  but curious to try for sure.
2018-8-16
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10368153 ft
Canada

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-7 12:02
ok have a look at this video. You do have to be in Class G airspace https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUXLTMFxsV4

my first crash was because of radio frequency from a tower located near my home,  learnt my lesson I will not go near any tower.
2018-8-16
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-8-16 22:31
my first crash was because of radio frequency from a tower located near my home,  learnt my lesson I will not go near any tower.

ya i have heard both ways. Some like you say they had problems and other say the signals are not close to the same frequencies and have had nmo problems.
2018-8-17
Use props
Mittens
lvl.3
United States

anyone set it to zero and try yet?  I flew over ocean all weekend and that's a bad place to try It
2018-8-23
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-8 01:59
So no guns would not effect people being shot, how ridiculous is that statement. No crashes above 500 feet, not sure about that one, but is no crash above 500 ft, not a good result , surely when they’re are no accidents that’s good for everyone ?

sorry for delayed replay, been very busy lately, peak season here.

1. i dont even remotely understand your gun statement... insanely offtopic.. is this a trump tweet or an actual response?

2.    im not saying absolutely no crashes nor possibility of them at 500 feet+, just name one that's been in the media that's a confirmed drone strike....  i couldn't find a single confirmed case of one 500+ feet up..  on the other hand i can find results for days where drones are within controlled airspace (close to airports) with confirmed strikes or way too close to aircraft and being stupid...

2018-8-25
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-7 12:50
I'm not wanting to start an argument. I just wanted to discuss this. No one seemed to care and i don't understand why no one noticed. Ya it may be for the best bla bla bla but people use their drones for different things and not just flying around for enjoyment. I don't want this to be a short lived hobby and livelihood.

Interesting statement. Flying above 400 feet - 120 metres will, I can assure you, draw the wrath of the gods, and end this hobby.

Too many irresponsible drone pilots are ruining this hobby. Particularly fo those of us that have been flying RC for years. Check the latest near miss of a Drone and Helicopter of an irresponsible operator breaking the rules.

You may be flying commercially and responsible. DJI has a solution for that, that eases the restrictions.

You just need to apply through appropriate channels.

For those of us that have been flying for years and members of the FAI ( Federation Aeronautique  Internationale) we do know the restrictions placed on our flying skill and models. Weight restrictions that require model inspections during the build process. Skills tests that need to be passed before you can fly solo and and out of restricted operating hour. Turbine waivers if you fly jets. Forced public liability insurance. There have been controls on this hobby for a long time. Its just the explosion of hobbyists, that can now pick up a drone and fly without any flight knowledge or safety instruction that is causing a problem.

As a commercial operator you can obtain the appropriate permits to fly at virtually any location.

Including airports that are being used for RC demonstrations.

I do not understand your concern?

Cheers.
2018-8-25
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-17 03:03
ya i have heard both ways. Some like you say they had problems and other say the signals are not close to the same frequencies and have had nmo problems.

Its not about frequencies. Its about power. Flying near microwave or any other tower including Cell towers  will drown your FC and wiring with noise.

Check out some of the wireless power system that will power light globes or run a TV remotely with no power connection.

Not to mention that any AC current traveling through a wire will generate a magnetic field that will disrupt your compass heading. This does create flyaways. So stay away from Transmission lines and towers.

Cheers

2018-8-25
Use props
Mittens
lvl.3
United States

Tried it, you can not even set the limit to 0.  it defaults back to what ever you had it set at, so this is a myth.
2018-8-27
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Mittens Posted at 2018-8-27 05:33
Tried it, you can not even set the limit to 0.  it defaults back to what ever you had it set at, so this is a myth.

ok ya i kind of thought so and thank you. If you change it to 0 and then close the app and reopen the app will it show 0 then? Sorry i just thought maybe that would hold the 0 setting by doing that.
2018-8-27
Use props
Flying Higher
lvl.1

United States

Use Nolimitdronez to downgrade your firmware to earlier date thereby allowing you to remove altitude limit.  You can only do this on older DJI drones.  New ones like the Mavic 2, not possible.  But on Phantom and Mavic Pro, no problem.  
2019-8-30
Use props
Flying Higher
lvl.1

United States

I think the DJI rational on the 1660 ft max is based upon the FAA in line of sight rule.  They figure that if you are flying in terrain or buildings, that even though you are not over 400 AGL, that by the time you fly to 1660 feet you likely cannot see your drone anymore, even with a spotter.  However, binoculars used by your spotter or by the use of attached strobes can greatly extend your line of sight to 3 miles.  This is when you may need the altitude limit removed by Nolimitdronez.  You can buy strobes to mount on your drone at Lume Cube.  Some drone manufacturer is going to permanently solve this problem by using sensors to measure and restrict AGL to 400x400 ft, and hence altitude limits will gone.  Until then, use Nolimitdronez
2019-8-30
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

Flying Higher Posted at 8-30 08:03
I think the DJI rational on the 1660 ft max is based upon the FAA in line of sight rule.  They figure that if you are flying in terrain or buildings, that even though you are not over 400 AGL, that by the time you fly to 1660 feet you likely cannot see your drone anymore, even with a spotter.  However, binoculars used by your spotter or by the use of attached strobes can greatly extend your line of sight to 3 miles.  This is when you may need the altitude limit removed by Nolimitdronez.  You can buy strobes to mount on your drone at Lume Cube.  Some drone manufacturer is going to permanently solve this problem by using sensors to measure and restrict AGL to 400x400 ft, and hence altitude limits will gone.  Until then, use Nolimitdronez

"binoculars used by your spotter . . . can greatly extend your line of sight to 3 miles."

Pilots and visual observers ("spotters") must rely on their natural vision unaided by anything other than glasses or contact lenses. In other words, if using binoculars is the only way to see the drone, you aren't flying within visual line of sight.
2019-8-30
Use props
sudburydrone
lvl.1
Canada

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-7 12:02
ok have a look at this video. You do have to be in Class G airspace https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUXLTMFxsV4

ive seen that cant remember if he says how to change the limit
2019-8-30
Use props
BobB
First Officer
United States

sudburydrone Posted at 8-30 08:28
ive seen that cant remember if he says how to change the limit

I just use NLD mod to get around it and that works just fine
2019-8-30
Use props