Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark flew away after 1 min in the air
1728 30 2018-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gregori
lvl.2
Flight distance : 92392 ft
United States

i bought a Spark 1 week ago and it flew away after 1 min in the air. I flew it on the same day after re-calibration compass without any problem.  Second time it flew away, initially it said compass error, then suggested to switch to ATTI, not long after it said weak GPS.  I tried RTH but failed.  Eventually it flew away and was not seen ever again.  This case it is already reported to DJI along the forum, and they admitted there was a compass error.  

This is not acceptable. How can you help me to fix this issue?

2018-8-7
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

well sorry for that
2018-8-7
Use props
MKPSG12
First Officer
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

Its happened numerous times, it is recoverable unless your AC and RC disconnect from one another but its certainly not easy if you've only just started with drones. You need to open a case with DJI Support, hopefully you'll get a 100% voucher.

FYI, in future please remember that once it has compass/IMU/GPS problems pressing the RTH button will do nothing, you have to manually fly the AC
2018-8-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Super Moderator
Flight distance : 318 ft

I'm really sorry to hear that. May I know if you have a case/ticket number so that we can check it on our end?
2018-8-8
Use props
Gregori
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-8-8 02:12
I'm really sorry to hear that. May I know if you have a case/ticket number so that we can check it on our end?

I don’t have a case/ticket number; how can I do that?
2018-8-8
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5835331 ft
Thailand

"This case it is already reported to DJI along the forum, and they admitted there was a compass error. "

And is DJI replacing the Spark for you?
2018-8-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Super Moderator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Gregori Posted at 2018-8-8 03:35
I don’t have a case/ticket number; how can I do that?

Kindly contact our support team and start up a case :  (https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav) You can provide your case number here if you need further assistance.
2018-8-8
Use props
maddox
Captain

sorry to read that
2018-8-8
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 183694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you attempt to track it down using the flight log? If not, you can upload and view your flight log online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.
2018-8-8
Use props
Gregori
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-8-8 04:02
Kindly contact our support team and start up a case :  (https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav) You can provide your case number here if you need further assistance.

This is the get message I got from DJI:
Your request (1285843) has been received and is being reviewed by our technical support representatives.
2018-8-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Gregori Posted at 2018-8-8 12:07
This is the get message I got from DJI:
Your request (1285843) has been received and is being reviewed by our technical support representatives.

Hi, thanks for the updates. I would like to clarify what option did you use for you to contact our team. Is it through phone or email? Normally, the case number will start with CAS. Please keep us posted.
2018-8-8
Use props
Gregori
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-8 12:12
Hi, thanks for the updates. I would like to clarify what option did you use for you to contact our team. Is it through phone or email? Normally, the case number will start with CAS. Please keep us posted.

Here you have the steps I followed:

1. I visit https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav
2. I clicked on Email Icon and I filled the form
3. I received and email from support.us@dji.com with the following content (full email):

- BEGIN EMAIL -
Dear Gregmarlop,

Thank you for contacting DJI Support.

Your request (1285843) has been received and is being reviewed by our technical support representatives. We will contact you soon. (Business hour: Monday to Friday, from 07:00 am to 15:00 pm PST)
Meanwhile, you may find the useful answer from one of these tutorials http://s.dji.com/Youtube-DJI.

Best Regards,
DJI Technical Support
- END EMAIL -
2018-8-8
Use props
Jamaboy007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15659 ft
Sweden

Learn you can manualy controll it next time, dont really in RTH botten. Use your controll to take it home
2018-8-8
Use props
Blellow
First Officer
Flight distance : 1007808 ft
  • >>>
United States

Massive user error!  Wait until GPS n home point is recorded before launching.
A lesson for all.
2018-8-8
Use props
fansc439507d
New

This just happened to me and it resulted in the unrecoverable crash of my drone. Started out flying fine and then a minute into the flight itjust took off on its own and decided to land in the middle of a lake. Refused to respond to my remote and the battery was over 50%. Now my drone is sitting at the bottom of a lake
2018-8-8
Use props
N2QLT
Captain
Flight distance : 29229 ft

You need to upload your flight log to the site referenced in msingers post (above). Then post the resulting URL here. There are folks here who can analyze it and help you possibly find it. The flight logs are in a folder on your device.
2018-8-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

MKPSG12 Posted at 2018-8-7 23:56
Its happened numerous times, it is recoverable unless your AC and RC disconnect from one another but its certainly not easy if you've only just started with drones. You need to open a case with DJI Support, hopefully you'll get a 100% voucher.

FYI, in future please remember that once it has compass/IMU/GPS problems pressing the RTH button will do nothing, you have to manually fly the AC

I agree. If the compass and GPS is screwed up then hitting the Return to Home button is utter insanity. You are literally asking the drone to rely on the systems that it JUST told you were not functioning properly. Fly it home manually every time. Not only will it make you a better pilot but it will prevent it from flying way.
2018-8-8
Use props
Blellow
First Officer
Flight distance : 1007808 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good advice!
2018-8-8
Use props
Northwood
Captain
Flight distance : 1225039 ft
Canada

Flyer beware!  If only people would do their homework... so much of this could be avoided.  How is it with all those meters recorded with perhaps another drone, this can happen?
2018-8-8
Use props
MKPSG12
First Officer
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

Blellow Posted at 2018-8-8 12:52
A lesson for all.

It is not necessarily a user error at all. There have been numerous incidents of this type of error occurring with experienced flyers who performed all the standard flight checks and take off procedures.

It is a hardware (and possbily firmware problem IMO) issue that causes the dreaded 'Yaw Error' which leads to the compass failing, then IMU then loss of GPS, then the AC goes crazy and if you're also unlucky enough for the AC to disconnect from the RC as well its utterly unrecoverable.
2018-8-9
Use props
Gregori
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-8 12:12

CAS-2112189-C2K9G8
2018-8-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the updates, you will be receiving an email for the updates on your case. Please don't hesitate to reach us in case you have a question. Thank you.
2018-8-9
Use props
Gregori
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-9 11:21
Hi, thanks for the updates, you will be receiving an email for the updates on your case. Please don't hesitate to reach us in case you have a question. Thank you.

Many thanks, case was closed. DJI replace my aircraft with a new one after flight log analysis. Awesome customer service support.
2018-8-14
Use props
djiuser_AITdEDi1d830
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111188 ft

Well I wish they would get mine troubles right. Just got my spark and remote back from DJI and now the remote won't work. All I get is the red light flashing, no wifi from remote tried everything from holding down Powe button to holding three buttons at the same time and still nothing. Just the red LED keeps flashing no study Led. Help if anyone can please..
2018-8-14
Use props
Greg F
Captain
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

Sorry to hear you had a fly away.    Seems like a few poeple are having similar issues with loss of GPS and Compass Errors..    Hopefully DJI will sort you out.
2018-8-14
Use props
nixuspix
Captain
Flight distance : 2844948 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Congratulations Gregori! Fly safe with a new replaced drone. Good luck
2018-8-14
Use props
Greg F
Captain
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

MKPSG12 Posted at 2018-8-9 00:14
It is not necessarily a user error at all. There have been numerous incidents of this type of error occurring with experienced flyers who performed all the standard flight checks and take off procedures.

It is a hardware (and possbily firmware problem IMO) issue that causes the dreaded 'Yaw Error' which leads to the compass failing, then IMU then loss of GPS, then the AC goes crazy and if you're also unlucky enough for the AC to disconnect from the RC as well its utterly unrecoverable.

Totally agree... There is a issue with Spark's losing GPS and all control with Compass amd IMU Errors.   Many saying you can fly it home manually.  Well and good if you have control.   Best practice do regular IMU and Compass Calibrations and even then it's pot luck.
2018-8-14
Use props
Gregori
lvl.2
United States

nixuspix Posted at 2018-8-14 21:41
Congratulations Gregori! Fly safe with a new replaced drone. Good luck

Thanks mate
2018-8-14
Use props
fans34ee8814
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4678 ft
United Kingdom

Yeah mine flew away as well mate,they said it responded well,so they want to believe pretty much i chunk 400£ in the bin.The case is escalated but still nothin.And they keep moving my post to Service,Idk why,but the spark future buyers and those who alredy got one need to know that cuz it not just about money it cant hurt someone and still they will put the blame on the pilot...
2018-8-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Gregori Posted at 2018-8-14 21:03
Many thanks, case was closed. DJI replace my aircraft with a new one after flight log analysis. Awesome customer service support.

Hi, thanks for the updates and your feedback. Glad that we're able to provide an appropriate resolution. Please don't hesitate to reach us in any case you need our help.
2018-8-15
Use props
S.J
Captain
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Blellow Posted at 2018-8-8 12:52
A lesson for all.

I think the instruction manual needs to be updated and highlighted with this instruction in big font size .
2018-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules