IMU is warming up...
2577 15 2015-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cameronlevine
lvl.1

United States

Does anyone else have to wait 5 minutes every time they start there phanotm for the IMU to warm up?
I feel like this can not be a normal thing. The first time I flew it, it warmed up in under a minute but after I calibrated it a couple weeks ago it has been doing this. I even tried calibrating it again.

2015-5-25
Use props
smoothbassman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 344219 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same here. Frustrated.
2015-5-25
Use props
bebbi
lvl.2

Monaco

Same here,
with version 1.1.8 i had some IMU errors that disappeared after a moment.
Upgraded to 1.1.9 and decided to calibrate the IMU and Gimbal to have everything nice and pretty.
Today i was outside taking some shots, it just took ages to fire up the IMU, will redo calibration again, if there is no change i will bother DJI Support with the Chinese Chat GUI.
2015-5-25
Use props
classicalle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

Put the phantom in the fridge for 5 minutes and then do a calibration again. It will no longer take a long time to warm up. Another post on this forum has this information.
2015-5-25
Use props
QuikSilver15
lvl.2

United States

classicalle@gma Posted at 2015-5-26 06:52
Put the phantom in the fridge for 5 minutes and then do a calibration again. It will no longer take  ...

Thanks, I did the calibration also and knew I read something earlier about how to speed it up. Curious how/why this does it though.....I assume just the shell, without the battery?
2015-5-25
Use props
classicalle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

QuikSilver15 Posted at 2015-5-26 09:30
Thanks, I did the calibration also and knew I read something earlier about how to speed it up. Cur ...

Yes. Without the battery is correct.
2015-5-25
Use props
mackie1604
lvl.2

United States

classicalle@gma Posted at 2015-5-26 10:41
Yes. Without the battery is correct.

Mine took like 20-30 seconds today.  No where near 5 minutes.
2015-5-25
Use props
QuikSilver15
lvl.2

United States

mackie1604 Posted at 2015-5-26 11:32
Mine took like 20-30 seconds today.  No where near 5 minutes.

Did same! Neat trick, curious why that makes such a drastic improvement.....Also who thought the Phantom needed to "cool off"?
2015-5-26
Use props
cameronlevine
lvl.1

United States

classicalle@gma Posted at 2015-5-26 06:52
Put the phantom in the fridge for 5 minutes and then do a calibration again. It will no longer take  ...

Wow that worked! Thanks for the tip and hopefully its a permanent fix and not a one time thing.
2015-5-26
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Be careful putting the Phantom 3 in a fridge as when you remove it the sudden rise in temperature will cause moisture to form on the aircraft. Not sure what the chances of this causing damage is but having any wetness on a device that operated on battery is not a good idea. Also it might well invalidate any future warranty claims ( especially posting that you do it on an official site ). This is not defacto info and if DJI come and say "by all means put the P3 in a fridge" then I stand corrected, it jusy my opinion

For those who live in a hot country ( nope not me, I live in the UK ) maybe try and leave the P3 near an air conditioning machine to cool it down a little. Some have also said they leve it outside and do the IMU there. Also make sure the batter has no just charget as it might be warm, allow it to cool also but not necesserlily outside.
When doing the IMU its best to get the controller ready ( powered on with Pilot App running ) and the Phantom on a LEVEL surface before even putting the battery in ther P3. Then quickly power it on and instantly start the IMU calibration. his keeps allows the IMU to be done whilst the P3 is still cool and hopefully reducng the time the "warmup" takes there after. Mine took just seconds after this.

Remember to buy extra propellers and one or two spare batteries to keep you flying

2015-5-27
Use props
dahazlehurst
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5128 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi.Mine was the same i put my phantom in the fridge for 15 minutes(with out the battery)and then calibrated the IMU and now the wait for IMU to warm up has gone.
2015-8-26
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.2

Montenegro

sploodge Posted at 2015-5-27 10:46
Be careful putting the Phantom 3 in a fridge as when you remove it the sudden rise in temperature wi ...

That's the way I did it. No fridge trick at all. Imu warming up only a few seconds. It's very important to put it on a flat surface. After the imu calibration I started the gimball calibration also on the same flat surface.
2015-8-26
Use props
m.friedl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
Austria

@cameronlevine,

There was a Video at HP of phantomhelp.com @ http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... tom-3-videos.41950/

There is one i think it is the last one called IMU Calibration which is perfect for Understanding.

For me this Video is now marked as private and cannot view it anymore but may be you can.

Anyway, the important Thing to know is the Temperature when you do the IMU calibration is recorded in your Phantom.
So if you are later outside with lower Temp the IMU is waiting tll the Temp from Calibration you have done once is taken as Referencepoint and you have to wait till it´s arrived at that Point!

Hope this helps

greetings - Mike
2015-8-26
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I'll back previous statements, and have on several threads already.  After later FW/SW updates, mine started taking up to 5 minutes to warm up.  This was eating my flight time (battery), so I was anxiously awaiting a time when I would have time to do the calibration properly (cold).  I had done it already, under summertime warm conditions.  Last weekend, I awoke to 37F outside.  I immediately put it outside to cool down and checked the spot I had picked out for level calibration.  After 30 minutes, I put it on the previously checked level spot (outside) and did the IMU and gimbal calibrations.  Since doing that, I have trouble getting the app connected and ready to go before the bird is ready to launch fully green.    When even cooler weather hits, I'll do it again.
2015-8-26
Use props
hundleton1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The reason for this is the IMU is heated, the second you turn the P3 on the internal IMU temp begins to ramp up, when you calibrate the calibration is done over a temperature range from when it started to where it ended up at at the end of the calibration process, because your doing this as room temp  and its already been on a few seconds the start temperature is a lot higher than you would get in the field, then when you go to fly it needs to wait for the IMU the calibrated temp.

By cooling it you are  bringing the range down and as such you have less time to wait in the field for it to reach it.

Ideally cool it outside in the evening or in front of AC, can't recommend the fridge.  

The trick is to start the calibration as soon as you turn the P3 on, get the app open on the sensors screen with the controller turned on ready to go, as soon as the calibrate button is active press it,  
2015-8-26
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

5 minutes?   No I have never seen this error message.
2015-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules