Charging via USB
15373 11 2015-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SilkPurse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2657 ft
United States

Does anyone know if the flight battery, or, even better, the RC can be charged via the USB ports? With batteries and chargers in short supply this might be a useful temporary fix.
2015-5-25
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Seriously doubt that charging via USB is a solution to the problem of charger supply. The USB 2.0 buss isn't designed for more than 2 amp charging.

You would be better off looking for a hobby charger like the Accucel 6 which can handle both lithium ion and LiPo batteries.
2015-5-25
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

gregg1r@mindspr Posted at 2015-5-26 02:43
Seriously doubt that charging via USB is a solution to the problem of charger supply. The USB 2.0 bu ...

The Phantom 3 is the first of the Phantom series I've owned. I realize the earlier version batteries cannot be used for the P3. But I'm curious - what does the actual charging connector look like for the P2 vs the P3?
2015-5-25
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-26 09:32
The Phantom 3 is the first of the Phantom series I've owned. I realize the earlier version batteri ...

The connection for the battery charging is two gold colored male blades, 5/15" long, by 5/16" wide.

You'll need to verify the polarity of the battery and connections or you'll make it toast., burnt toast.

DJI doesn't recommend charging both the battery and controller at the same time, the Pro model has a 100 watt charger verses the Advanced having a 57 watt version.

Me personally, I don't see an issue with charging both battery and remote  at once if you have the 100 watt charger.
2015-5-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

No. You cannot.
2015-5-26
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

And you speak of experience? If both the Pro and Advanced use the same battery and you have to remove the battery to charge it, please explain why it won't charge both at the same time?

DJI does not recommend charging both at the same time, but they don't state DO NOT CHARGE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.
2015-5-26
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

gregg1r@mindspr Posted at 2015-5-27 01:40
And you speak of experience? If both the Pro and Advanced use the same battery and you have to rem ...

Sorry - yes they do. Look near the very back of the Phantom 3 manual - see the FAQ

Can I charge my Remote Controller and Intelligent Flight battery at the same time?
While the Remote Controller Charger and Intelligent Flight Battery charger have been integrated into one unit for your convenience, it is recommended  that you only charge one item at a time. We
recommend that you never charge both items using the same charger  at the same time.

2015-5-26
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-27 05:00
Sorry - yes they do. Look near the very back of the Phantom 3 manual - see the FAQ

Can I charge my ...

Notice the wording recommend. That's not a hard steadfast rule. If they had used the word NEVER, then I'd agree with you.
2015-5-26
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have to say I never read that (or remembered reading that) before I got my advanced. The first couple of times I charged both at the same time. There wasn't a problem and to my knowledge the charger didn't get hot. I'm not saying you should, but be interested to know why exactly they don't recommend it?
2015-5-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

gregg1r@mindspr Posted at 2015-5-27 01:40
And you speak of experience? If both the Pro and Advanced use the same battery and you have to rem ...

Yes I speak from Experience.  The DJI Phantom 3 and the controller will NOT charge any batteries using the USB ports.

The USB port on the controller will NOT charge the controller's battery.  Only the DC charger input will charge the battery in the controller.

The P3 intelligent battery does not have a USB input so obviously you cannot plug it into a USB charger.  The P3 intelligent battery is a 14.8 volt 4 cell battery.  USB power is specified at 5 volts.  (Up to 2 amps maximum.)   Without a buck inverter it's impossible to charge a P3 battery and it would take a very long time...  Not saying it's impossible but no hardware exists to do this today.

If you put the P3 intelligent battery into a Phantom3 and connect the USB cable it will NOT charge the battery.  (For the same reasons above.)

You just have to BUY a second charger if you want to charge the controller and battery at the same time.
There is no "workaround".  There are no shortcuts.  I don't know how to explain it more clearly.
2015-5-26
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-27 05:47
Yes I speak from Experience.  The DJI Phantom 3 and the controller will NOT charge any batteries us ...

My reference to charging both batteries at once was using the 100 watt charger supplied with the Pro version not using the USB buss.

I charger 13,600 watts of 18650 (4 3400 mah) batteries using a 2 amp 120 volt charger. Fully depleted it takes 6 hours or so to charge.
2015-5-26
Use props
shayd93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>
United States

USB has only 5 volts and on average 500-1000mAh on laptops and about 2000mAh phone and tablet chargers. There is simply NOT enough power to charge either Drone or RC battery and even if it was possible it would take somewhere between 15 to 20 Hours to fill up the battery.

Edit: Sorry I haven't seen Fulgerite's post about pretty much the same.

2015-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules