Mechanical shutter problem, Phantom 4 Pro v2
3683 11 2018-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dennis48755
lvl.2

United States

I just discovered my 5 day old Phantom Pro 4 v2 appears to have a mechanical shutter problem.

This is my first drone, at first I didn't understand the distinct camera/video modes so my previous images were snapshots while in video mode and they were all properly exposed, along with the videos themselves.

After switching to camera mode, all my images wre very washed out, they were so white I could barely make out the green of the trees. The camera and ISO were both set to Auto. I discovered that if I set the EV to -2.3 the images were more properly exposed.

Doing some research, I found in the PhatomPilots forum, the suggestion to try turning off the "Mechanical Shutter". This indeed corrected my problems. Realizing this, I can easliy duplicate the problem. Mecanical shutter On, the mages are way over exposed. Mechanical shutter off, the images are exposed properly.

Is this an issue that will require warranty service? The Phantom 4 Pro v2 was purchased new from B&H Photo 5 days ago. What is the warranty service procedure, how long will I be without the drone?

Thanks,
Regards, Dennis

2018-8-8
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Call B&H customer service, they'll tell you what to do next. The drone need to be fixed or replaced, no doubt.
2018-8-8
Use props
jbj220
lvl.4
Flight distance : 847031 ft
United States

From what I've been reading, those that sent in to get repaired have been sent back and still have the same problem, thinking dji does not have a fix for this yet. Most with this problem, (like me) are opting to just shut off the mechanical shutter and fly until dji comes up with a fix. If there is a fix I don't know about, please tell me!!
2018-8-9
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

The mechanical shutter is the one of the main reasons I bought a P4P.  I have a V1 so no issues here (in that regard).  That would really suck if I bought an expensive drone for that reason and it didn't work.  I think I would get a refund.  
2018-8-9
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-8-9 05:30
The mechanical shutter is the one of the main reasons I bought a P4P.  I have a V1 so no issues here (in that regard).  That would really suck if I bought an expensive drone for that reason and it didn't work.  I think I would get a refund.

Agreed, the v.2 seems to have quite a few issues right out of the gate.  Is this problem related only to v.2?
2018-8-9
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Its the first I have heard of it
2018-8-10
Use props
dennis48755
lvl.2

United States

Matthew, thanks B&H has created an RMA for me to get a replacement.

jbj200, may I ask, where you have been reading this? I didn't get any hits searching here or on the PhantomPilots forum. Is your P4P and has what you have been reading been related specifically to the v2?

Dennis
2018-8-10
Use props
jbj220
lvl.4
United States

dennis48755 Posted at 2018-8-10 08:53
Matthew, thanks B&H has created an RMA for me to get a replacement.

jbj200, may I ask, where you have been reading this? I didn't get any hits searching here or on the PhantomPilots forum. Is your P4P and has what you have been reading been related specifically to the v2?

https://forum.dji.com/thread-89804-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... mp;page=1#pid757470

When I sent my phantom in to dji they had it 8 weeks...came back same as I sent it...so, I still have the same problem with the mechanical shutter, only out $40 for shipping...not gonna ship it in again. I rarely do video, so, I don't miss mechanical shutter.
2018-8-10
Use props
dennis48755
lvl.2

United States

Thanks jbj220,

So much for my skills in searching this forum.

For me the problem with the mechanical shutter only occurs in camera mode. In video mode both the videos and snapshots are exposed fine. Where the descriptions in some of the posts from the provided links, appear to me, to indicate troubles with videos also.

I'm confused over the mechanical shutter. If enabled, is it used in both camera and video modes?

If it is used in both modes, it would appear my problems may be firmware. As one mode works, the other doesn't. If it is only used in camera mode, then hardware may be indicated.

Dennis.
2018-8-10
Use props
atrsd
lvl.1

Has anybody successfully had this problem fixed by DJI? I have an RMA and ready to ship the drone, but I'm worried about meeting the same fate as the user who reported "they had it 8 weeks...came back same as I sent it"
2019-9-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer

dennis48755 Posted at 2018-8-10 10:16
Thanks jbj220,

So much for my skills in searching this forum.

The mechanical shutter is only used in still photo modes, it is not used in video mode. And when shooting video, it is best to disable the auto colour balance mode, as it can get quite confused as the content changes. And likewise, it is better to adjust the exposure manually too. Auto-everything produces quite ordinary results.
2019-9-8
Use props
jbj220
lvl.4

Geebax Posted at 9-8 22:29
The mechanical shutter is only used in still photo modes, it is not used in video mode. And when shooting video, it is best to disable the auto colour balance mode, as it can get quite confused as the content changes. And likewise, it is better to adjust the exposure manually too. Auto-everything produces quite ordinary results.

I never use AWB, and always manual exposure (except when testing the shutter problem), settings make no difference...
2019-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules