Spark Takes a Swim
932 16 2018-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

Sorry, I accidently put this in the tutorial forum, so I have duplicated it here.

Hello, as the title indicates my Spark decided to land in the water, and in saltwater at that. I'm not sure what happened exactly, but when I noticed that the battery was down to around 40%, I pressed the RTH on my phone and got the familiar beep, beep, beep. Shortly after that the remote gave a "disconnected signal and lost contact with Sparx. When I pressed the RTH, Sparx was about 100m away and 6-7m high - well within VLOS. I used "Find My Drone" to locate it (just below my last sighting). It was sumerged in shallow water (didn't have to take off my shoes) and I got to it within 5 min of it going down. I immediately took out the battery and rinsed it and the drone thoroughly in fresh water. Currently both reside in a ziplock bag of rice.

I have looked in my flight log and uploaded it, but it didn't explain why Sparx went down instead of up. How can I get a more complete flight log, and should I register the problem with custommer service now or wait a few days until the drone and battery have dried out? Also, there are better drying agents than rice at my hardware store, but should I try them?

2018-8-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, we're sorry to read the accident. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in from here: https://www.dji.com/support If the unit is under warranty period, we'll arrange data analysis and offer you a proper solution according to the data analysis result.
2018-8-9
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-8-9 20:30
Hi there, we're sorry to read the accident. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in from here: https://www.dji.com/support If the unit is under warranty period, we'll arrange data analysis and offer you a proper solution according to the data analysis result.

Thank you for your reply. I have done as you suggested.
2018-8-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Warriewoodlad Posted at 2018-8-9 20:52
Thank you for your reply. I have done as you suggested.

You are welcome. If you encounter any difficulties during the progress, please kindly provide us with your case number, we'd like to help.
2018-8-9
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

sorry to read that
2018-8-10
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Australia

Thank you, I still have hopes it will dry out OK.
2018-8-10
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

Warriewoodlad Posted at 2018-8-10 04:34

It may, but since it was saltwater corrosion will likely occur eventually (or so I've heard).
2018-8-10
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

United States

Hopefully you had care/refresh....Ive heard that DJI customer service in that regard is quite good and they will have you up and flying in no time.
2018-8-10
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Australia

BrandonW77 Posted at 2018-8-10 04:43
It may, but since it was saltwater corrosion will likely occur eventually (or so I've heard).

Yes, unfortunately I think the chances of it working are not good - but worth a try.
2018-8-10
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Australia

SkinJob2501 Posted at 2018-8-10 07:45
Hopefully you had care/refresh....Ive heard that DJI customer service in that regard is quite good and they will have you up and flying in no time.

I had taken out Care Refresh immediately it was delivered. I will try it when it is dry, but will probably need a replacement. I have already started the claim process.
2018-8-10
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Australia

Update. Having dried it out, it was completely dead, so I filled out the online forms and am awaiting the shipping label. I guess I am about to experience DJI's customer  service. So far, no complaints.
2018-8-11
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Australia

Oooops!!

I figured out how to look at the flight records using PhantomHelp over the week end. It appears that I pressed Auto Land on my iPhone instead RTH. It must have been landing while I was trying to see it 30m up and moving towards me. Perhaps I should only use the RTH on the remote in future to avoid a similar mistake. I was unlucky that Sparx was not 1m closer to me when it landed, because then it would have landed on sand instead of water.

I just hope that I get a good Spark from my Care Refresh insurance.  
2018-8-12
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Warriewoodlad Posted at 2018-8-10 04:34

Welcome buddy good luck in the case
2018-8-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Warriewoodlad Posted at 2018-8-12 15:42
Oooops!!

I figured out how to look at the flight records using PhantomHelp over the week end. It appears that I pressed Auto Land on my iPhone instead RTH. It must have been landing while I was trying to see it 30m up and moving towards me. Perhaps I should only use the RTH on the remote in future to avoid a similar mistake. I was unlucky that Sparx was not 1m closer to me when it landed, because then it would have landed on sand instead of water.

Hi, thanks for the updates. Please let us know if you need our assistance once you have received your replacement drone using the DJI Care refresh. Thank you for the support.
2018-8-13
Use props
Greg F
Second Officer
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

Wow that's not good...   Hopefully you can figure out why it did that.   Seems lately a few Sparks are going rogue on their own.   Hopefully DJI can sort this out.   
2018-8-13
Use props
Oscarfer30
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7756 ft

Chile

oops, this explain everything, hope you got your new one soon. At least you were able to know what happened this time.
2018-8-13
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Let us know when you get your replacement!
2018-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules