26459 69 2018-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tamegoeswild
lvl.1
Flight distance : 388671 ft
  • >>>
Japan

When I connect both the Ronin-S (via USB-C for tethered control of DC-GH5 via the Ronin-S) AND an Atomos Shogun Inferno HDMI recorder via the full size HDMI port on the GH5, the GH5 screen and viewfinder switch off and cannot be switched back on. This means that there is no way to view any information about the camera status (unless you choose to turn on the option in the GH5 to output camera infomration to the external HDMI display, but if you do that then of course you can't use that as a clean video feed).
The outcome of this is that the Ronin-S cannot be used with the GH5 and an Atomos / HDMI recorder simultaneously.

Unplugging either the Atomos HDMI recorder or the Ronin-S restores usual functionality on the GH5.

Ronin-S firmware: 1.3.0.20
DC-GH5 Firmware: 2.3

I have spoken with Panasonic engineers here in Japan who say they were unaware of this bug and are now investigating.

2018-8-11
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321519 ft

This is a known issue on the Ronin-S Facebook group, other users have reported the same thing on various monitors, though it's less of an issue because we're not trying to record the output like you are.

My current theory is that the GH5s is sending out a video feed through the USB port like it would connected to a PC except the Ronin-S has nowhere to display it and this is disabling the back screen on the camera. I'm guessing this is more of an issue with "Tether pc" mode on the GH5s than it is with the Ronin-s. I haven't actually tried tethering the GH5s to an actual pc yet, so I honestly don't know if it disables the back screen.

For you, I can imagine this is a huge issue as you stated you lost all info display as you're trying to record a clean out. I just have the info displayed as I'm only using the monitor for focus and framing reference. If there's an incoming update for the GH5s that fixes this that would be amazing, but I wanted to respond to let you know others are experiencing the same thing and so far no solution has been identified.
2018-8-12
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31621 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have this issue too, although I’m just using an external monitor rather than recording so I can use the info display instead, but I’d rather use the camera LCD for the info display and monitor for the actual output.
I suspect it’s a tether issue with the camera too.
2018-8-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, thanks for reaching us. This happens due to the Panasonic's design, the same problem will also appear when using Panasonic's control software. Our engineers are keeping working with Panasonic to see whether this can be optimized. Appreciate your attention and patience.
2018-8-13
Use props
tamegoeswild
lvl.1
Flight distance : 388671 ft
  • >>>
Japan

Panasonic engineers have just phoned me with an update.

As Susan rightly says,  the problem is that the GH5 / GH5s only has 2 video channels, and when connecting the Ronin-s (remote tether) this counts as one channel, and an external recorder will count as the second channel - so the internal screen switches off as there are no more video channels available.

The same occurs if you use the remote app for the GH5 and a monitor, of gimbal.
This is not something that can be fixed in firmware and so is just an inherent limitation of the camera.
2018-8-21
Use props
Joerg1990
New
Germany

tamegoeswild Posted at 2018-8-21 17:29
Panasonic engineers have just phoned me with an update.

As Susan rightly says,  the problem is that the GH5 / GH5s only has 2 video channels, and when connecting the Ronin-s (remote tether) this counts as one channel, and an external recorder will count as the second channel - so the internal screen switches off as there are no more video channels available.

Until the day before yesterday, I could use the Ronin-S tethered, pulling focus, and have the live view on both the internal display and the external HDMI monitor. What changed yesterday? I upgraded the GH5's firmware from 1.2 to 1.3. So the problem clearly came with the update.
2018-9-6
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Im confused.  Even without the Ronin as part of the system, if I plug an external monitor into my GH5s, the camera monitor goes black.  This is how my GH5s works even without the Ronin in the mix.  sorry if I am missing something here, but.... am I missing something here?
2018-9-8
Use props
themickeyadolph
lvl.1
Flight distance : 107566 ft
United States

I too experience this issue. When the GH5 is connected to the Atomos Ninja V (HDMI) and the Ronin-S (USB-C) the LCD screen on the camera goes black and no longer displays information.

Since there is no solution yet to have both plugged in, I'm going to unplug the USB-C tether. I'd rather have the monitor to see (and record). This means having to focus & hit record on the camera itself, which isn't ideal, but not a deal breaker. Unless I'm losing some other functionality by disconnecting the Ronin?

Please let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks.
2018-11-8
Use props
phlhAdR6qLf3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54780 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I have a GH5 and GH5S. I recently updated the firmware on the GH5S to the latest version (2.3) and now it exhibits this behaviour (LCD goes off when USB-C plugged in and HDMI plugged in). My GH5, with the older 2.1 firmware on it keeps the LCD on... I haven't tried downgrading the firmware yet, not sure if it is possible.
2018-11-10
Use props
phlhAdR6qLf3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54780 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Firmware versions not entirely accurate ^ but you get the idea, the new firmware made a "fix" to the HDMI output and that seems to have caused this problem.
2018-11-10
Use props
CaliJack
New
United States

Any further news on this issue?  I'm trying to use my GH5 with Atomos Ninja V and Ronin-S and facing the same issue. Screen goes blank on the camera when I plug in the USB.  Thanks
2018-11-29
Use props
imageshoppe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 849839 ft
United States

I just discovered this issue today, having not used my GH5s and Ronin together since the latest GH5 series firmware upgrade.  

Discovered it in the field, on a shoot.  I can absolutely verify that prior to the latest Panasonic firmware version you could monitor HMDI while the Ronin-s is connected to the GH5s AND be able to view the LCD/viewfinder at the same time.

2018-12-11
Use props
Harlem
New
France

Hi,

Same issue here with my GH5s and the Ronin S.

I've updated both systems.

Please who should we complain to fix it?

Panasonic or Dji?...

By the way, could someone from Dji support tell us where we stand on this issue?

Is an update planned soon?

Regards.
2018-12-14
Use props
SwampFighter
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1339 ft
United States

So if we know that Firmware 2.1 worked, and that firmware 2.3/2.4 doesn't, then we know it's something to do with how the GH5 is recognizing the tether.  

DJI NEEDS to work with Panasonic on this, it's basically reducing the usefulness of the Ronin-S for the largest swath of customers, and means that these customers WON'T buy the next Ronin because it won't work with their gear.
2018-12-29
Use props
LAStory
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53862 ft
United States

SwampFighter Posted at 12-29 08:57
So if we know that Firmware 2.1 worked, and that firmware 2.3/2.4 doesn't, then we know it's something to do with how the GH5 is recognizing the tether.  

DJI NEEDS to work with Panasonic on this, it's basically reducing the usefulness of the Ronin-S for the largest swath of customers, and means that these customers WON'T buy the next Ronin because it won't work with their gear.

Panasonic users are not even close to the largest group of Ronin-S customers.  Panasonic makes up a very small percentage of the professional videography market.  This will most likely never be addressed by either DJI or Panasonic.  The Ronin S's incompatibility with my GH5 made it a no brainer to return it shortly after I bought it this summer.  I am currently awaiting a Moza Air 2, and have higher expectations for the product in general after extensive research.  I experienced too many issues with the Ronin-S, and received nothing but lip service from DJI.  
2018-12-29
Use props
fans64fd5668
New
United States

I have that same problem. Did you find a solution?
2018-12-31
Use props
fans64fd5668
New
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 8-13 04:30
Hi there, thanks for reaching us. This happens due to the Panasonic's design, the same problem will also appear when using Panasonic's control software. Our engineers are keeping working with Panasonic to see whether this can be optimized. Appreciate your attention and patience.

Has there been a fix yet for this issue?
2018-12-31
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

I'm with the gh5s and after the update the problem still exists. The camera's screen goes blank when connected to ronin and the ninga v..
2019-1-2
Use props
SwampFighter
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 1-2 03:31
Sorry for the late response. This issue has been optimized, please kindly update to the latest firmware and see whether it works well.

This problem has not been resolved as of the latest firmware.
2019-1-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

SwampFighter Posted at 1-3 12:53

Received with thanks! I'll double check with our engineers and come back later.
2019-1-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

SwampFighter Posted at 1-3 12:53

Hi SwampFighter, we have tested at our end, but the issue does not appear. Could you offer the below information, we'll double check and locate the exact status, thank you!
1. The Firmware version of the Ronin S;
2. The Firmware version of the camera;
3. Which type of monitor do you use?
4. Operation video when the issue appears.
2019-1-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Moshe.mmm Posted at 1-2 14:10
I'm with the gh5s and after the update the problem still exists. The camera's screen goes blank when connected to ronin and the ninga v..

Hi Moshe.mmm, could you refer to 24# and provide us with the information for better assistance? Thank you so much!
2019-1-7
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
  • >>>
Israel

DJI Susan Posted at 1-7 22:39
Hi Moshe.mmm, could you refer to 24# and provide us with the information for better assistance? Thank you so much!
Hi Susan,

1. Latest
2. 1.2
3. Atomos ninga v
4. Are you asking me to make a video that shows the problem?
Basically, the screen goes black in the camera when it connected to the ronin with usb-c, right at the second I connect the ninga v.
2019-1-9
Use props
Skarpt Media
lvl.1
Flight distance : 279232 ft
Denmark

I have the same exact problem. Does anyone know if it has been fixed?
2019-1-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Moshe.mmm Posted at 1-9 14:34
Hi Susan,

1. Latest

Received with thanks! I've forwarded to our engineers to check and will keep you updated.
2019-1-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Skarpt Media Posted at 1-10 05:39
I have the same exact problem. Does anyone know if it has been fixed?

Hi Skarpt Media, could you refer to 24# and confirm the details? I'll collect and forward to our engineers regularly.
2019-1-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Moshe.mmm Posted at 1-9 14:34
Hi Susan,

1. Latest

Hi there, I just got an update from our engineers that the balck screen appears due to the rules defined by Panasonic. Using the MCC-C to connect the camera and PC, also connect an HDMI cable for the external monitor to the GH5, the same phenomenon will appear when connecting a PC and then plugging in HDMI. Sorry about this.
2019-1-16
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
  • >>>
Israel

DJI Susan Posted at 1-16 04:12
Hi there, I just got an update from our engineers that the balck screen appears due to the rules defined by Panasonic. Using the MCC-C to connect the camera and PC, also connect an HDMI cable for the external monitor to the GH5, the same phenomenon will appear when connecting a PC and then plugging in HDMI. Sorry about this.

So how come it worked in previous firmware?

Do you understand it limits our functionality when using the ronin to the point not being able to use it with a screen at all? If I can't see the parameters of the camera, I can't trust it while recording...

Please encourage your engineers to make another effort to find a solution. It worked before, no reason it would not work again.
2019-1-16
Use props
Meierhans
lvl.2
Germany

Its a quite good question how it is possible that this could work in last firmware and is not working in current.
Can this be proven by others??
2019-1-16
Use props
MichealMedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179026 ft

Moshe.mmm Posted at 1-16 04:59

Do you understand it limits our functionality when using the ronin to the point not being able to use it with a screen at all? If I can't see the parameters of the camera, I can't trust it while recording...

Are you sure? You can downgrade the Ronin S to verify.
2019-1-17
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
  • >>>
Israel

MichealMedia Posted at 1-17 02:05
Are you sure? You can downgrade the Ronin S to verify.
Not for me. People here stated it worked for them.
I think they meant for camera firmware
2019-1-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Moshe.mmm Posted at 1-16 04:59

May I know what's the version number of the previous firmware do you refer to? We'll double check with the team.
2019-1-17
Use props
SwampFighter
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 1-17 18:11
May I know what's the version number of the previous firmware do you refer to? We'll double check with the team.

There arn't that many Firmware versions for the panasonic GH5.  The current version is 2.4.  2.3 was in May.  2.1 was in 2017.

This video seems to show the Ronin-S, the GH5, and a Ninja recorder all being used in concert.  Forward to 0:41
2019-1-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

SwampFighter Posted at 1-18 20:03
There arn't that many Firmware versions for the panasonic GH5.  The current version is 2.4.  2.3 was in May.  2.1 was in 2017.

This video seems to show the Ronin-S, the GH5, and a Ninja recorder all being used in concert.  Forward to 0:41

We'll check with the team and see whether it can be reproduced at our end.
2019-1-20
Use props
Dimme le Grand
New

Germany

Was it allready mentioned that

- the focus wheel and record button stop to work -
- the autofocus fails too, it gets to Backfocus and doesn't react -
It happens after a while (2-7 minutes or something) after connecting of the 3 devices? The LED of the focus wheel blinks red.

Then I unplugg any of cables (DJI/USB-C or atomos/HDMI) from the GH5s and plug it in again and then it starts to work again.
But only for a while.  
2019-1-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

SwampFighter Posted at 1-18 20:03

Hi SwampFighter, we've checked at our end again, the issue will appear when connected with the camera control cable. The camera will enter PC mode, and the screen will be black when connected with the monitor. It matches with the conclusion of 29#.
2019-1-21
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
  • >>>
Israel

DJI Susan Posted at 1-21 18:54
Hi SwampFighter, we've checked at our end again, the issue will appear when connected with the camera control cable. The camera will enter PC mode, and the screen will be black when connected with the monitor. It matches with the conclusion of 29#.

Hi Suzan,
So if I understand you, you say this is what we get and we need to get used to it..?
I thought to maybe get the external motor and give up on the internal focus control but then I remembered  that i will loose also the control over the record button and that is not an option to me.
Also not an option to give up on an external screen due to the limited size of the gh5s screen.
So I'm stuck with this setup according to what you say.
This is so sad... I think I'll need to get apart from your beautiful device..
2019-1-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Moshe.mmm Posted at 1-22 00:05
Hi Suzan,
So if I understand you, you say this is what we get and we need to get used to it..?
I thought to maybe get the external motor and give up on the internal focus control but then I remembered  that i will loose also the control over the record button and that is not an option to me.

Sorry about this. If there is any change in the future, we'll release on our website
2019-1-23
Use props
markiboy
lvl.1
Switzerland

Dimme le Grand Posted at 1-20 13:55

I have the same problem when recording with Ninja V. This makes the Ronin S practically unusable.

Please provide a fix for this.
2019-1-26
Use props
markiboy
lvl.1
Switzerland

Dimme le Grand Posted at 1-20 13:55

I have the same problem when recording with Ninja V. This makes the Ronin S practically unusable.

Please provide a fix for this.
2019-1-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules