DJI Spark video looks worser than 1080p
2877 27 2018-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MkP1582
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I know Spark footage isn't breathtaking since it is just 1080p. However I feel my Spark videos look worser than 1080p or worser than what I see as "Spark" video in youtube from others (may be post processing, not sure).
Sharing a sample unedited as is video to get opinion if something wrong in my spark or it is just the same as anyother spark.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V-9IbgeXlI5OZHszKl816Tumoj1ifEvM

Thanks.

2018-8-12
Use props
Ronnie.Choy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1261211 ft
Singapore

Was the video file from you mobile device or SD card? The actual video footage are stored in the SD card. If the file you shared is from SD card, then I guess something is wrong some where.
2018-8-12
Use props
MkP1582
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ronnie.Choy Posted at 2018-8-12 19:02
Was the video file from you mobile device or SD card? The actual video footage are stored in the SD card. If the file you share is from SD card, then I guess something is wrong some where.

The video is straight from the SD card (not form DJI go app).
2018-8-12
Use props
Ronnie.Choy
lvl.4
Singapore

MkP1582 Posted at 2018-8-12 19:05
The video is straight from the SD card (not form DJI go app).

You are such a good pilot with steady hands.... what a shame if your Spark gives you sub-standard quality footage.

If I were you, probably 3 things that I will do to check what is the problem.

1. Check if I have peeled off the plastic sheet protecting the camera lens.
2. Check and gently clean the camera lens.
3. Change another SD card for a quick test.

If all these fail, I hope other experts here or DJI can offer you more advice.

Good luck!
2018-8-12
Use props
MkP1582
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ronnie.Choy Posted at 2018-8-12 19:19
You are such a good pilot with steady hands.... what a shame if your Spark gives you sub-standard quality footage.

If I were you, probably 3 things that I will do to check what is the problem.

Appreciate your help. Lens is clean, no sticker. I have not tried a different SD card though.

I too hope to get some pointers.
2018-8-12
Use props
natnatroswell
lvl.3

United States

I'm not an expert on this but may I ask if this happens to photos as well? If your only experiencing this kind of trouble on videos only then you might as well use a different SD card or else check the video quality you set up in your drone.
2018-8-12
Use props
MkP1582
lvl.2
United States

natnatroswell Posted at 2018-8-12 20:01
I'm not an expert on this but may I ask if this happens to photos as well? If your only experiencing this kind of trouble on videos only then you might as well use a different SD card or else check the video quality you set up in your drone.

I do not have anything to reference against. Attached is one of the unedited pic and zooming in a bit, the details are soft.

2018-8-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had with your DJI Spark. I strongly suggest formatting the SD card. But before you do that please try to back up first your files. Please let us know what happens. We're here to help you. Thank you.
2018-8-13
Use props
MkP1582
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-13 02:26
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had with your DJI Spark. I strongly suggest formatting the SD card. But before you do that please try to back up first your files. Please let us know what happens. We're here to help you. Thank you.

Thanks. Yes, I’m going to try that, also going to try with the new San Disk UHS-I card recommended in https://www.dji.com/mobile/spark/info. I will update here once I capture my footage.

2018-8-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

MkP1582 Posted at 2018-8-13 03:56
Thanks. Yes, I’m going to try that, also going to try with the new San Disk UHS-I card recommended in https://www.dji.com/mobile/spark/info. I will update here once I capture my footage.

Hi, No worries. Have a safe flight always.
2018-8-13
Use props
jmb63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree that the video and picture do look a bit "soft". It DOES appear to be 1080p when viewing but not as clear as I would expect. You are filming on a sunny day so check or experiment with the exposure and white balance? Looks to be missing some sharpness. Besides the mentioned change of SD card, make sure the lens is clear/clean and double check all settings for the camera. Just an FYI, if you "pixel peep" the results from the Sparks camera, you will be disappointed. Enlargement reveals the limits of the sensor in this bird...the images do not hold up well to enlargement.
2018-8-13
Use props
MkP1582
lvl.2
United States

jmb63 Posted at 2018-8-13 05:15
I agree that the video and picture do look a bit "soft". It DOES appear to be 1080p when viewing but not as clear as I would expect. You are filming on a sunny day so check or experiment with the exposure and white balance? Looks to be missing some sharpness. Besides the mentioned change of SD card, make sure the lens is clear/clean and double check all settings for the camera. Just an FYI, if you "pixel peep" the results from the Sparks camera, you will be disappointed. Enlargement reveals the limits of the sensor in this bird...the images do not hold up well to enlargement.

yes the softness is what worries me. Sure, I will be doing a test flight today and hope it is just one of such issues mentioned here.
2018-8-13
Use props
Sidd Finch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

Did you use editing software? IF so what were the settings? Also try to upload to youtube as a 4k video. This will give the file an increased bit rate when uploaded.

Sidd
2018-8-13
Use props
MkP1582
lvl.2
United States

Sidd Finch Posted at 2018-8-13 07:15
Did you use editing software? IF so what were the settings? Also try to upload to youtube as a 4k video. This will give the file an increased bit rate when uploaded.

Sidd

I did not edit the video. The video in the upload link above reflects what I really see from the raw footage.
2018-8-13
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Its probably the SD card.  The new one you've chosen is same as what I am using, works fine.  Editing software will also affect image quality too, if not used correctly.  Thats an art in itself.  And what Sidd said, great idea (I have to try that!)
2018-8-13
Use props
MkP1582
lvl.2
United States

Northwood Posted at 2018-8-13 08:28
Its probably the SD card.  The new one you've chosen is same as what I am using, works fine.  Editing software will also affect image quality too, if not used correctly.  Thats an art in itself.  And what Sidd said, great idea (I have to try that!)

Agreed on the editing part. I just wanted to get the full potential SOOC, then enhance it.
2018-8-13
Use props
Sidd Finch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

MkP1582 Posted at 2018-8-13 07:24
I did not edit the video. The video in the upload link above reflects what I really see from the raw footage.

How does the video look on your computer? Also fuzzy? If it looks ok on the computer before upload that Google might not be compressing the footage on upload.
2018-8-13
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37156 ft
Hungary

My videos also look less sharp then what I'd expect from HD but on TV it looks better. I think this is all the Spark is capeable of. I have not had a chance to check your video yet though.
2018-8-13
Use props
MkP1582
lvl.2
United States

Sidd Finch Posted at 2018-8-13 08:48
How does the video look on your computer? Also fuzzy? If it looks ok on the computer before upload that Google might not be compressing the footage on upload.

It looks the same (fuzzy) on my macbook pro with retina display. I thought youtube might compress , hence uploaded via google drive. Is it not the case?
2018-8-13
Use props
MkP1582
lvl.2
United States

JimboHUN Posted at 2018-8-13 08:56
My videos also look less sharp then what I'd expect from HD but on TV it looks better. I think this is all the Spark is capeable of. I have not had a chance to check your video yet though.

I did try on my TV as well. It is the same, in fact much worse since it is big.
2018-8-13
Use props
Yukon 3-0268
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1148 ft
United States

Try watching on an HD TV.  It looks ok on my computer.
2018-8-13
Use props
MkP1582
lvl.2
United States

Thanks all for the recommendations. I did try with the new San Disk UHS I card.  Is this the usual quality we get in Spark?
[Edit: Posted wrong link earlier]

Thanks,
Manoj

2018-8-13
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

That looks about normal to me.
2018-8-22
Use props
MkP1582
lvl.2
United States

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. While I almost confirmed my drone's video quality was normal, I had to send it to repair for a different issue with gimbal last week. They replaced it and did a test shot today with the new one. Happy with the results

2018-8-24
Use props
Ronnie.Choy
lvl.4
Singapore

MkP1582 Posted at 2018-8-24 21:53
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. While I almost confirmed my drone's video quality was normal, I had to send it to repair for a different issue with gimbal last week. They replaced it and did a test shot today with the new one. Happy with the results

https://youtu.be/af0JNasISbg

Nice video ... Happy that you got the problems solved.
2018-8-24
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

IDK I think that it looks fine. Seems 1080 to me
2018-8-24
Use props
MkP1582
lvl.2
United States

Ronnie.Choy Posted at 2018-8-24 22:08
Nice video ... Happy that you got the problems solved.

thank you
2018-8-24
Use props
MkP1582
lvl.2
United States

eman_vg Posted at 2018-8-24 22:10
IDK I think that it looks fine. Seems 1080 to me

yes, the very first one in the forum was little off.
2018-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules