Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What would happen if the OTG accidentally disconnected while flying?
1861 21 2018-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
e-kitiran
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32680 ft
Indonesia

This video raise me question, what would happen if the OTG accidentally disconnected while flying?I've searched this forum, not found the answer yet.
2018-8-12
Use props
Greg F
lvl.4
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

LOL Drinks Coffee in the video...   You just lost me at that point LOL

Edit : Well at least you got it back.    I don't use a OTG.   DJI need to make a cable system or a connector that connects to phones thru the clamp so you don't have a long cable hanging on the side.   Problem tho not every phone is the same.

Edit 2 :  So... I'm guessing disconnecting the OTG will lose everything.   Can't you simply connect the OTG cable and re connect??...    As far as I know the OTG cable connects the phone with the RC...
2018-8-12
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

FYI, you can still use the RTH button on the remote controller even when the remote controller is not connected to DJI GO.
2018-8-12
Use props
e-kitiran
lvl.4
Indonesia

Greg F Posted at 2018-8-12 20:01
LOL Drinks Coffee in the video...   You just lost me at that point LOL  

Edit : Well at least you got it back.    I don't use a OTG.   DJI need to make a cable system or a connector that connects to phones thru the clamp so you don't have a long cable hanging on the side.   Problem tho not every phone is the same.

Yes, and we (specially me) have to be more and more carefully to attach micro-USB cable to the RC.
2018-8-12
Use props
Greg F
lvl.4
Australia

e-kitiran Posted at 2018-8-12 20:14
Yes, and we (specially me) have to be more and more carefully to attach micro-USB cable to the RC.

Maybe get a shorter cable???..   
2018-8-12
Use props
e-kitiran
lvl.4
Indonesia

msinger Posted at 2018-8-12 20:07
FYI, you can still use the RTH button on the remote controller even when the remote controller is not connected to DJI GO.

Thanks   
2018-8-12
Use props
e-kitiran
lvl.4
Indonesia

Greg F Posted at 2018-8-12 20:15
Maybe get a shorter cable???..

Yes, that could be solve the problem. I have the short version cable just like this on amazon, but accident could happen
2018-8-12
Use props
Greg F
lvl.4
Australia

e-kitiran Posted at 2018-8-12 20:24
Yes, that could be solve the problem. I have the short version cable just like this on amazon, but accident could happen

I found a solution for you..  Connect Cable, then tape the connector ends with sticky tape.   That way they won't come out.   A bit messy tho.. LOL
2018-8-12
Use props
e-kitiran
lvl.4
Indonesia

Greg F Posted at 2018-8-12 20:32
I found a solution for you..  Connect Cable, then tape the connector ends with sticky tape.   That way they won't come out.   A bit messy tho.. LOL

LOL... nice solution, that sticky tape could help me know which side should plugged to the RC
2018-8-12
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

working is

this kind of an OTG adapter setting is "for testing" only! ;-)  

Get one of the otg cables, with 90° plugs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-IOS- ... Phone-/263794163694

And incase your phone gets disconnected: push the RTH button on the RC or fly it back by hand.

Also working is: plug it back in or start the wifi
2018-8-12
Use props
e-kitiran
lvl.4
Indonesia

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-8-12 21:09
this kind of an OTG adapter setting is "for testing" only! ;-)  

Get one of the otg cables, with 90° plugs.

Thanks for the link, I don't know that its only for "testing" purpose.

So buttons on RC doesn't need phone to operate, I always use phone with my RC all the time so I don't know that it works like that. Great info

Noted for fail-safe: Plug in the OTG-cable again or "quickly" connect using WiFi.

Great answer Captain S-e-ven salute!
2018-8-12
Use props
Warriewoodlad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

It would be logical that everything on the remote controller would function, and everything on the phone would not. If the drone was out of VLOS, all of those nice navigation function that DJI spoils us with (compass, maps, distance, height, FPV) are not available. Only RTH will get the drone back.

However while it is (hopefully) returning, there is the opportunity to reconnect the OTG cable or connect the phone to the remote via wifi (if you member how).

There is a lot to be said for remaining within VLOS - which was the 1st piece of advice that I got when I joined this forum.
2018-8-12
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

e-kitiran Posted at 2018-8-12 21:33
Thanks for the link, I don't know that its only for "testing" purpose.

So buttons on RC doesn't need phone to operate, I always use phone with my RC all the time so I don't know that it works like that. Great info

I wrote "testing purpose" in quote, because it is really better to get shorter cable with 90° plugs
Less "pull factor", less to worry about,
2018-8-12
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

You can fly the spark with RC, only.
It just ends in a geofence in 50m distance, I guess at 30 height.
Done the 50, but not high

Just: When you try wait for green lights on the rear LED's: Homepoint recorded
2018-8-12
Use props
e-kitiran
lvl.4
Indonesia

Warriewoodlad Posted at 2018-8-12 21:34
It would be logical that everything on the remote controller would function, and everything on the phone would not. If the drone was out of VLOS, all of those nice navigation function that DJI spoils us with (compass, maps, distance, height, FPV) are not available. Only RTH will get the drone back.

However while it is (hopefully) returning, there is the opportunity to reconnect the OTG cable or connect the phone to the remote via wifi (if you member how).

Yes, VLOS is for my Spark. But not always VLOS when flying with P4 or Mavic Pro
2018-8-12
Use props
e-kitiran
lvl.4
Indonesia

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-8-12 21:41
You can fly the spark with RC, only.
It just ends in a geofence in 50m distance, I guess at 30 height.
Done the 50, but not high

Thanks, but I don't think I have enough confidence to fly without phone in this nearly time may be someday the situation force me to do that
2018-8-12
Use props
Greg F
lvl.4
Australia

e-kitiran Posted at 2018-8-12 22:34
Thanks, but I don't think I have enough confidence to fly without phone in this nearly time  may be someday the situation force me to do that

I flew mine indoors RC only indoors...   It's weird without the app.   
2018-8-13
Use props
Alexey Batalov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Happened yesterday to me. I could still fly the drone with the remote and bring it home.
Safe Flying
2018-8-13
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

It becomes just like every other RC aircraft out there when the OTG disconnects.  RC hobbyist typically fly it around for a while practicing their pilot skills then land when 8 to 10 minutes have passed.  The cell phone display with camera framing capability is a photographer thing not needed for radio control flight.
2018-8-13
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-8-13 07:08
It becomes just like every other RC aircraft out there when the OTG disconnects.  RC hobbyist typically fly it around for a while practicing their pilot skills then land when 8 to 10 minutes have passed.  The cell phone display with camera framing capability is a photographer thing not needed for radio control flight.

But you need to restart the app anyway.
Unless you wanna risk a unreadable video file or have not taken a video during the flight.
Because you just don't know, if the AC responded to the video or photo button on the RC.
And I can restart the app, even the phone, during flying the bird  or letting it RTH for the time being
2018-8-13
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-8-13 07:44
But you need to restart the app anyway.
Unless you wanna risk a unreadable video file or have not taken a video during the flight.
Because you just don't know, if the AC responded to the video or photo button on the RC.

I would quickly fly the RC model back then restart the app.  Then relaunch the model turned camera platform.   It is fast to land and relaunch, anyway.

A Spark landing.gif
2018-8-13
Use props
Carmenvail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1521201 ft
United States

Ya you might want to consider a shorter cable...But Dam that chunky landing gear,,can you even get the spark off the ground with that set up...??.
2018-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules