Help | Export Settings for Drone Footage from Adobe Premiere
6498 5 2018-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Chirico
Second Officer
Flight distance : 769160 ft

I need some serious guidance in Adobe Premiere when exporting drone footage. I’ve been editing for a while now but usually just wing-it on the export screen. I’m not too knowledgeable on what everything ACTUALLY does to the footage or which settings should be toggled to make it look more crisp, as opposed to decreasing its overall look. For example, which Profile (High, Main) to pick or Bitrate (CBR, VBR 1 Pass, VBR 2 Pass) target and max.

For example, I recently used my Mavic Air to get some 4K footage and created an edit in Premiere. I rendered the footage in the program and it looks great. Then I go to export and it’s skippy/laggy. If you guys are well versed in the export settings area of the program and what makes a video look smooth/crisp, what should my settings be?

These were my export settings:
Format: H264
Video Dimensions: 4K
Field Type: Main, 4.1
Progressive
VBR 2 Pass
Target Bitrate: 80
Max Bitrate: 100

What am I doing wrong to have my exported video be skippy/laggy?

Are there better export settings anyone is aware of that work best with 4K footage at 100MBPS from the Mavic Air?

I mainly use my Mavic Pro, but it’s out of commission for the time being. What are the best export settings for that as well?
2018-8-14
Use props
Matthew Chirico
Second Officer
United States

darn, nothing? Sheesh :/
2018-8-14
Use props
Michael_M
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115335 ft
United States

I'm also interested in some tips.

I guess it would help to know what you are trying to export for. Home viewing? Youtube? Instagram?
2018-8-14
Use props
Matthew Chirico
Second Officer

Michael_M Posted at 2018-8-14 12:11
I'm also interested in some tips.

I guess it would help to know what you are trying to export for. Home viewing? Youtube? Instagram?

I figured out my issue! The root of the problem was when I created a sequence for the footage. The FPS within my preset-sequence didn’t match the footage’s FPS (I assumed it had). And even though I matched the FPS on the export screen to the footage, it still wasn’t the same FPS as within the sequence, which I hadn’t checked beforehand and caused the skippy/laggy finished product. That being said, NEW video later today!
2018-8-15
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Is it actually laggy or is the computer struggling to play it back?  VBR2 pass, H264 and a bitrate of 60 or so should be perfectly fine.  Or better yet, H265/HEVC with a lower bitrate.  Sounds to me more like the computer is struggling to play back the footage more than the export.
2018-8-15
Use props
Matthew Chirico
Second Officer

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-15 03:59
Is it actually laggy or is the computer struggling to play it back?  VBR2 pass, H264 and a bitrate of 60 or so should be perfectly fine.  Or better yet, H265/HEVC with a lower bitrate.  Sounds to me more like the computer is struggling to play back the footage more than the export.

No it was actually laggy. Seemed as if every other frame was cut from the final product and skipped. But like I said, it was mismatch of FPS rate between footage and sequence
2018-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules