Ipad air 2 or mini ipad? VOTE ?
56401 219 2015-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nabzo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 353310 ft
Switzerland

hi guys I wana know if the ipad mini 2 wifi only will be fine to use ?
2016-2-9
Use props
arock387
lvl.2

United States

has anybody tried using the Galaxy view as the screen yet.  Obviously you would need a table to set it on or some kind of strap as its an 18.4 inch tablet.
2016-2-14
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

The thread title is a little ambiguous because there are multiple versions of the iPad Mini. I believe (from reading these threads) that the original iPad Mini may not make the grade as far as performance goes but the iPad Mini 2's and above are OK.

Personally, I use both an iPad Air 2 (Wi-Fi) and an iPad Mini 4 (Wi-Fi and Cellular) and both work perfectly.
Of the two, my preference would probably be the iPad Mini 4 because it is slightly lighter and it can also fit in the remote control tablet holder without having to remove the cover/case. Having to remove the cover may seem like a trivial consideration but not having to do it just makes the whole setup process slightly faster and  easier.
2016-2-15
Use props
Fly Girl
lvl.1

United States

Ipad Air 2 hands down the best for me!
2016-2-18
Use props
Stanley Fredrik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 148556 ft
  • >>>
Finland

SVTRay Posted at 2016-1-30 20:57
So do you need cellular contract in order to use an iPad air 2 or will just having a Sim card instal ...

No u not need cellular contract, Be sure u set AirPlane mode: On.
2016-2-18
Use props
wrathofkhan
Banned

Australia

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-2-18
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

iPad Mini 4 , wi-fi-cellular is a must with the new processor it is perfect.
2016-2-19
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mini 3 for me
2016-2-19
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Stanley Fredrik Posted at 2016-2-19 14:21
No u not need cellular contract, Be sure u set AirPlane mode: On.

Thanks!

I got way too many irons in the fire and haven't had time to mess with my drones but I look forward to trying my iPad air 2 on my P3P.
2016-2-19
Use props
Wolfiesden
lvl.3

United States

Neither.  Galaxy S5 and nVidia Shield K1
2016-2-19
Use props
Flipperman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4224925 ft
France

iPad mini retina (wifi/SIM) for normal use - iPhone 6s for 'ad hoc' - both great.
2016-2-19
Use props
5thconcept
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4613 ft
United States

Mini 1 does work but the video feed is VERY laggy! I tested it today to see if it would work.   But the feed has to much latency to be practical.
2016-2-19
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

nabzo@me.com Posted at 2016-2-9 06:18

I have been using the mini 2 Wi-Fi only without any problems. It seems that everyone has a preference and this is why we have so many options!

Rich
2016-2-19
Use props
RuneWold
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1808064 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I got a back up ipad just in case and went for the iPad Air but just the "regular" one. For me I see no reason to get the Air2. But I recomend the Air over Mini. I fly fine on the IPhone 6s but when I first put a larger screen on it I feel the air is better.
2016-2-20
Use props
RuneWold
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1808064 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I got a back up ipad just in case and went for the iPad Air but just the "regular" one. For me I see no reason to get the Air2. But I recomend the Air over Mini. I fly fine on the IPhone 6s but when I first put a larger screen on it I feel the air is better.
2016-2-20
Use props
hgokhanavci
lvl.2
Flight distance : 339777 ft
Turkey

Hi my choose galaxy tab s (t700)
2016-2-20
Use props
fleis
lvl.1

Uruguay

Anyone using iPhone 6S ?
I have seen more compact option and portable than the iPad. I tried both and I understand both have pros and cons, I like the idea of a more portable option that the Air, but I do no have plans to buy a mini.
What do you think. Tried iPhone ?
2016-2-21
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.2

United States

iPad air 2. The mini will really make you regret the screen size and are slightly slower
2016-2-22
Use props
zigmono
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11457 ft
United States

I just picked up a VZW Ipad mini 4 for $200 off.  Since I had an eligible line and was out of contract, they took another $150 off. Also asked to have the activation fee waived which saved $40. New Ipad Mini 4 / 64 gig for $299 / with tax.

It might be worth checking with Verizon Wireless if it fits your situation.

-- zigs
2016-2-22
Use props
richardsonkane7
New

India

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2016-2-23
Use props
richardsonkane7
New

India

modify

With the iPad Air 3 and possibly a new iPad Mini in the offing, it is time to look back at the original iPad Air and the iPad Mini with Retina Display to see if they still hold up to scrutiny.

2016-2-23
Use props
metronome
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48852 ft
United States

Lurvis Posted at 2015-5-26 21:21
I use a refurbished iPad mini 2 with antiglare screen protector and a PadHat by Hoodivision Sunshade ...

Agree with Lurvis. Mine is the same set-up. I lock my screen so it doesn't invert when the controller is hanging from my neck by the lanyard. And DO get a lanyard. Do like my PadHat too!
2016-2-23
Use props
JMBare
lvl.1

United States

Started with an Air 2, changed over to a Mini4 because I didn't need the extra size and it was just too cumbersome.
2016-2-23
Use props
Rebel Gal
lvl.2

United States

Ipad air 2
But I had to get the aluminium bracket with the wide foot for stability!
2016-2-24
Use props
foxy-stoat
lvl.2

United Kingdom

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-26 23:24
Nice tip.

I find that the problem with the device-holder is, that the metal tightening thing very ...

I used some of this around the base of the round ball thing on my metal mount, as the allen key didnt tighten up enough and always came loose. Works well, just mix up the stuff and sculpt it around the lower part of the ball and down the mount a little, only hard it will never move.

Photo is how I strengthened my P3S plastic mount - worked well!
2016-2-25
Use props
Terry G
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1773327 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both and I much prefer the iPad air 2. The weight of either one isn't and issue and I'm part of the over the hill gang.
2016-2-26
Use props
deniscryan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2945384 ft
Ireland

Jimw_61 Posted at 2015-5-26 15:49
I fly mine with the iPad 2 air and love it; sunshade, make you own for under $5.00 USD.
Glue, Black  ...

I had a sunshade before and someone told me just throw a coat over your head and screen. Works a treat, so simple.
2016-2-26
Use props
Rob_stal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1243038 ft
Australia

deniscryan@gmai Posted at 2016-2-27 09:28
I had a sunshade before and someone told me just throw a coat over your head and screen. Works a t ...

Nice idea, but I think I'll stick with the sunshade in the warmer months here.
2016-2-27
Use props
alpinekiwi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54803 ft
France

Just bought an iPad Mini 2 cheap from Apple. Ordered the metal bracket and sunshade.

My plan is to use the iPad for regular flying and my iPhone 6 when I'm out hiking (I already have it on me and I won't need to pack another monitor) with the drone.
2016-2-29
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1140725 ft
United States

nabzo@me.com Posted at 2016-2-9 08:18

post 151 may help you...!!! ;-)
2016-2-29
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3
United States

Ok ok so here it is: I have been using Ipad Air 2 wifi only model with the inspire mobile device holder installed on the RC  .. With the Galaxy note 5 on Verizon .. internet hotspot running .. Air connected to the note 5s hotspot for my maps and Internet for support programs UAV Forecast .. If I could go back in time I would pay more $ and get the air 2 cell version .. not activat its onbord cell service .. but have the gps chip that comes in the air 2 cell version in the mobile device connected to the RC .. Better results for follow me and other options in the go app .. Just-say-in...!!! ;-)
2016-2-29
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

Neither they are overpriced. Get a Nvidia Shield k1 8" tablet 199$ or wait for the Nvidia Shield x1 10" tablet that will soon come out.
2016-3-1
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

mark97564@gmail Posted at 2015-5-27 22:31
iPad Air won't fit in the holder on the transmitter, so i went with the iPad mini 2. The mini 3 is a ...

Actually it does.  I have this iPad Air 2
http://www.apple.com/shop/produc ... ellular-64gb-silver

Fits fine.

Having looked at both the mini and air2, I bought the Air 2 because I need something bigger than the mini.

That said, even with sunshade - this is the worse screen in daylight that I have ever had.  I absolutely hate it.
2016-3-3
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3

ok ok so here it is: just in case you have not or don`t .. go to settings and turn off auto brightness and put it all the way up .. battery last most of the day with mine (brightness) all the way up .. just-say-in let me know if this was of a help PLEASE...!!! ;-)
2016-3-3
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

mdazel Posted at 2016-3-3 17:42
ok ok so here it is: just in case you have not or don`t .. go to settings and turn off auto brightn ...

Already done - long ago.  Bottom line is - when the sun is out, even with the sunshade mounted, calling the iPad screen hard to see is the understatement of the year.

If I had it to do all over again - the iPad would be the very last on my list of considerations.  I can see my Motorola Razr Max screen just fine when the iPad is a dark mass of undefined crap.  Parts of the Go App are visible - like the top status bar and across the bottom, but seeing what the camera sees is impossible.

Absolutely DON'T BUY if you haven't already.
2016-3-8
Use props
Mary Ann
lvl.2
Flight distance : 259009 ft
Canada

I can't compare the two because I've only used the Ipad Air 2.  It's been 3 months and I've had no issues.  Bought a non glare protective cover and made my own sunshade for about $1.00.  I haven't had to use the sun shade yet as the anti-glare cover seems to work great.  
2016-3-21
Use props
SpecialProjects
lvl.3
Flight distance : 441010 ft
United States

I'm using IPad Mini 2 retina. Problem I am having is With Forum. I cannot post or reply. Forum keeps saying I am not logged in when I know I am.
2016-3-28
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-27 07:28
Getting a neck-strap is a must!

I wish there was an easy way to connect some sort of neck-strap  ...

Try a toshare lanyard,  bought a dji harness but haven't tried it yet, really like the lanyard, a must for a bird in hand.
2016-4-12
Use props
mean.old.teache
New

United States

I was using my iPad Air 2 until I noticed that it was damaging the bracket that holds it.  Now, I have gone back to using my IPhone 6 +.  On a related note, the newest app update fixed the battery issue.
2016-4-16
Use props
Chicago Air Dro
lvl.2

mean.old.teache Posted at 2016-4-17 11:51
I was using my iPad Air 2 until I noticed that it was damaging the bracket that holds it.  Now, I ha ...

Get yourself  the stability bracket, they are great!

FAADRONEDECALS.COM

2016-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules