Question about flying Mavic Air in Carlsbad, CA
1332 2 2018-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
umsimono
lvl.1
Canada

Hey all. Will be traveling to Carlsbad on vacation and want to fly my Mavic Air along the beaches (when no others are around).

I see that Mc Clellan-Palomar (CRQ) airport is in the vicinity. And checking the FAA’s UAS map and a few other apps it appears I will be looking to fly in controlled airspace. Class D and class E4 is the best I can gather.

Saw on the FAA’s website that Mc Clellan-Palomar airport is listed as actively taking part in LAANC (Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability).   Through the FAA Drone Zone portal I believe I was able to enter a request to fly in the area.

Wondering if others have had success with this approach?

I see others have called the tower at CRQ in the past but from what I can gather the FAA is pushing to use the LAANC to lessen the call volumes to the airports.

Thank you. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
2018-8-15
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

My understanding is that you need a "remote pilote certificate" ( Part 107 ) in order to be able to get an authorization for using LAANC to fly inside class  B, C, D, or E
2018-8-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry, aside from other recommendations, you can check our website as well for you to determine if the location is restricted or not for possible unlocking locations as well. Please see the link below. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe
2018-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules