Thinking of buying a P3P,
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fizbin
lvl.1

We need to get a pretty high end drone for work.
  • We need a pretty good distance,

• great resolution on videos and stills,
  • be able to set waypoints such that we can have a specific pattern run daily
  • Smart RTH so it won't hit cliffs, or trees
  • be able to fly safely through low canopy live oak trees, maybe on a preset route that we can help it with

This unit looks like it can do a bunch of this and more, but,,,, yep here we go.

I am really really apprehensive about the customer support folks have had.
I'm in an industry where we have to go above and beyound and even as far as telling the customer they are right even when we have video footage to prove the contrary for fear of bad reviews.  So, I know there are unwarranted bomb throwing reviews out there and usually can look past them.

The reviews for DJI, you either love them ***** or hate them *. All the 5*'s look like they have never had a repair, so no problems.  But virtually every person who has ever needed service of any kind it has been a nightmare.

Before I authorize a $700+ purchase here at work,,,,, can anyone cast some light on this and reduce my anxiety?

The only other product that I have been looking at is by Parrot, but it doesn't have some of the features we need.

If this post isn't meant for this topic,,, please feel free to pm me.   

2018-8-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Well, the P3P is not made any longer, so you would only get a used one or refurbished. A P4P would be better for what you say you want. The P3P does not avoid obstacles during RTH, while the P4P can. And flying though low tree canopies is not something that any of the Phantoms do well. Tree branches often do not show up on the Obstacle Avoidance.
2018-8-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If you can find one, buy it. They are an awesome bird. Very dependable and take awesome video and pics.

Hope you get it for a great price.

RedHotPoker
2018-8-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

be able to fly safely through low canopy live oak trees, maybe on a preset route that we can help it with
You're going to have to rethink that requirement.
You aren't going to find a drone that can do that safely
The number one enemy of drones is flying close to trees.
If you try to fly waypoints close to obstacles, you'll learn that consumer GPS accuracy is variable and flying close to obstacles is going to lose your drone sometime.

You won't find another maker that can match DJI for features, performance and value in ready-to-fly drones.
The P3 pro was great in its day but that was a few years ago and the P4 pro is significantly better.
The new Mavic 2 pro to be announced in a week may be even better again.

Regarding poor reviews, that's a feature of the modern era.
You'll find people complain about everything.
The complaints will always outnumber the happy customers that report that they have no problems.
Reading the details of complaints reveals many are due to the customer's actions or lack of understanding as well.
DJI sells more than 70% of all ready-to-fly drones and the other makers only get a very small slice of the pie.

You have to consider what proportion of customers have legitimate complaints and it's natural that the company that outsells all its competitors is going to have the most complaints.
What's more important but harder to uncover is how likely are you to ever need service.

2018-8-15
Use props
JasonPictures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 289341 ft
Switzerland

A P3 is good but a P4 is better.
2018-8-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Labroides is spot on.

First you need to completely rethink your flight plan.

After you do that, then you can concentrate on what AC you might want to buy.

Good luck
2018-8-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You need to authorize about $900 more to get what you need.
2018-8-16
Use props
Fizbin
lvl.1

JasonPictures Posted at 2018-8-15 23:33
A P3 is good but a P4 is better.

Thanks Labroides on the info about the service from dji.  Some of the reviews had to much detail and non-emotion to pass up.  I think I read somewhere as well that you can have local service performed and don't necessarily have to send the unit back to dji.

The model, this is what is described on amazon, DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter 4K UHD Video Camera Drone   Is that not the newest model?  It lists at $800.  I now see the p4p, but can't find it for less than like $1,500 and that includes a bunch of toys and bags and 3 extra batteries and stuff.  I just need the unit/controller and 1 extra battery. Maybe it's out there and I just can't find it?

How much better is a 4 over a 3, is it worth almost double the price.  My philosophy, similar to cell phones and laptops, I never by the most current thing but wait until the next best comes out to not take the big $$$$ hit.

I gotcha on the tree thing and flying under them.  I understand that this may be something that can be worked on with flying experience and still may have limited success.

I like how active and helpful folks are in this forum and that goes a long way as well.
2018-8-16
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Fizbin Posted at 2018-8-16 04:10
Thanks Labroides on the info about the service from dji.  Some of the reviews had to much detail and non-emotion to pass up.  I think I read somewhere as well that you can have local service performed and don't necessarily have to send the unit back to dji.

The model, this is what is described on amazon, DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter 4K UHD Video Camera Drone   Is that not the newest model?  It lists at $800.  I now see the p4p, but can't find it for less than like $1,500 and that includes a bunch of toys and bags and 3 extra batteries and stuff.  I just need the unit/controller and 1 extra battery. Maybe it's out there and I just can't find it?

I also would suggest re-thinking your plan. The 3-series are great machines, but nothing is going to give you that 100% safety factor your looking for. Sounds good but those trees have gotten a lot of us! LOL Myself included. You just can't avoid what you can't see. And the collision avoidance ( which the p3 series does not have) is really good on the phantom 4 series and the mavic, but there is no guarantee. As mentioned, the new Mavic 2 is expected to incorporate some very nice new features, and I would strongly suggest you think about that. The 3P Advanced and the Pro are great machines and take great footage, but just don't have some of the newer features to keep a new flyer out of trouble. Of course I understand you have a budget to go by too. Good luck. Any of the DJI products will give you fabulous results. They are way ahead of the rest of the group.
2018-8-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The low price you've found for the P3 is due to it having been superceded and discontinued long ago.

How much better is a 4 over a 3?
Drone designs have been rapidly evolving.
The P3 pro and adv were the best available in their day but that was quite a way back.
The P4 that replaced them brought some minor improvements but the P4 pro that was released almost two years ago brought a massive improvement with its camera.
If image quality is important for you, there's no need to consider anything else (at least until the Mavic 2 pro shows us what it's got).
The P4 pro has a 20 MP camera with a real diaphragm so you don't have to shoot full open any more.
It's lens focuses too rather than the simple fixed focus lenses of earlier models.
And it has a mechanical shutter as well.
It's a real photographers camera - the first proper aerialised camera.
It's a workhorse in professional use, delivering great results every week for me.
In ready-to-fly drones, it's (still) the state of the art.
2018-8-16
Use props
Antonov
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321857 ft
United Kingdom

I still fly my P3P, no need obstacle avoidance if you watch where you are going for that I use FPV goggles and an assistance to VLOS (line of sight) and set the return altitude to surrounding environment (RTH never needed) and for the quality refer to youtube, find two videos; 1- P3P 2- P4P (i'd say better consider version 2) and find a big screen/tv and watch thee two samples, if you detect the difference in your eyes and you think you can justify to top up your budget to P4P (v2) then go for it. This is for the video, and for the the photos do the same (perhaps here or flickr etc)

I want to upgrade my P3P now as the version 2 of the P4P is great when i find that extra £$€....    
2018-8-16
Use props
JasonPictures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 289341 ft
Switzerland

Thanks Labroides on the info about the service from dji.  Some of the reviews had to much detail and non-emotion to pass up.  I think I read somewhere as well that you can have local service performed and don't necessarily have to send the unit back to dji.

The model, this is what is described on amazon, DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter 4K UHD Video Camera Drone   Is that not the newest model?  It lists at $800.  I now see the p4p, but can't find it for less than like $1,500 and that includes a bunch of toys and bags and 3 extra batteries and stuff.  I just need the unit/controller and 1 extra battery. Maybe it's out there and I just can't find it?

The newest Phantom is the Phantom 4 Pro V2. The second newest is the Phantom 4 Pro and the third newest is the Phantom 4. The Phantom 3 is even older. As you see the Phantom 3 is pretty old but it still works. You have to know how much money you want to spend.
2018-8-16
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Fizbin, Labroides et al are spot on with advice but maybe the question you have to ask is whether you need your own equipment or whether it is cheaper in the long run to buy the service in as required. If you purchase a 3, or preferably the 4, then consider it a cost that you can write off on your tax. Also be prepared to crash so operator training should also be on the cards (it's something I need to do myself but one of those things that slip...). From my point of view I consider if I can buy at the time and if the answer is yes go for it. If I damage the craft, as has happened when a tree jumped out and hit the P3P, then I'm not happy but send it off to the place I purchased from. If repair is beyond them they forward it to DJI and do all the follow up etc. OK another cost but again, if it's a business related expense you should be able to write the costs off.
So what's the point? Purchase the best you can afford, ensure you understand how the craft responds & ensure all users do as well. Try and predict a flight path problem before it occurs and don't fly beyond your ability (pretty hard because how does one work out their ability?).
Depending on your requirement you can determine how many batteries you will need but sometime the purchase deals include extra batteries AND nothing worse than to get halfway through a job and have to abandon because you've run out of battery.
Lastly, happy flyers tend not to write in to the forum (yes I know it's a generalisation) and yes there have been some real public relations type disaster but by and large we are a pretty happy lot and you'll always find somebody who can provide a solution, advice etc on the forum..
2018-8-16
Use props
Fizbin
lvl.1

OK, all great advice.
I will not get the 3 but at minimum the 4.
Also now I see there is a Mavic as well.  Which to get? EEEEk!
The mavic comes with a viewing visor for directional camera.
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. Kindly visit our website for more of information about Phantom 3 Professional. We're here to help you. Thank you.

Phantom 3 Professional
2018-8-17
Use props
Phowe52
lvl.1

IMO - stay away from the P3 - 4K.
2018-8-19
Use props
Fizbin
lvl.1

Just ordered a P4P kit from Amazon with the extended warranty from DJI.  I appreciate everyone's input here and am sure I will have a bunch of more questions in the future.

The first off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure from reading about it, that I can set way points, so basically I can push and execute button and the drown will take off, fly a pattern and RTH and I can review the video at my leisure later?  Also, can I set it to do this on a timer with out any intervention from me, so like every day it just launches on its own to fly it's course?
2018-8-19
Use props
P4P+_Brazil
lvl.4
Brazil

Great drone the P4P.  
2018-8-19
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>

Fizbin Posted at 2018-8-19 05:39
Just ordered a P4P kit from Amazon with the extended warranty from DJI.  I appreciate everyone's input here and am sure I will have a bunch of more questions in the future.

The first off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure from reading about it, that I can set way points, so basically I can push and execute button and the drown will take off, fly a pattern and RTH and I can review the video at my leisure later?  Also, can I set it to do this on a timer with out any intervention from me, so like every day it just launches on its own to fly it's course?

Fix in: have a look at the Litchi app for programmed flights.
2018-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules