8170 25 2018-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geoffz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>

Last Friday experienced a "Fly Away".

M.P. is out of warranty so DJI refuses to assist in pinpointing the exact whereabouts.

Btw...this was a total electronic disconnect and was in no way a pilot error. (explained all these details of the incident to DJI)

In any case, at the time, I launched "Find My Drone" and there was a specific location that was indicated.

I was very happy about that mainly because the "Flight Record" ended at the spot where the signal was lost.

However, I search high and low in and around the "Find My Drone" area....for 2 entire days and was unable to locate.

QUESTION!

How accurate is "Find My Drone" and what has been the user experience on this Forum??

Thanks in advcance for your reponses.

2018-8-16
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Find My Drone feature will only show you the last GPS location recorded in the TXT flight log on your mobile device. If your drone was still in the air when you lost it, then it's likely not at that location.

If you'd like help finding your drone, then upload your TXT flight log here and post the link back here.
2018-8-16
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Sorry to hear. Hope you find your drone.
2018-8-16
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>

msinger Posted at 2018-8-16 06:40
The Find My Drone feature will only show you the last GPS location recorded in the TXT flight log on your mobile device. If your drone was still in the air when you lost it, then it's likely not at that location.

Surly could use help locating.

I was flying with a 5.5" crystal sky monitor and not a mobile device.

Does that make a difference in locating the files?
2018-8-16
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Crystal sky is a mobile device.

The "find my drone" position accuracy depends on how high and fast the thing was going at the last point of contact.

If you lost contact very close to the ground and/or hovering its likely to be be extremely accurate.  If you lost contact in the air and at speed it'll be further out because the drone would take time to fall and to lose its forward momentum....and might have tried to initiate an RTH so started climbing and heading off in a straight line towards home.

If you upload the logs as people say someone can take a look and help more.,
2018-8-16
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

geoffz Posted at 2018-8-16 07:15

Connect your CrystalSky to a computer via a USB cable and look for the TXT flight log in "DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord".
2018-8-16
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>

msinger Posted at 2018-8-16 07:24
Connect your CrystalSky to a computer via a USB cable and look for the TXT flight log in "DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord".

Do I have to be connected to WiFi?

I'm using the small usb port on the crystal sky.
2018-8-16
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Plug the USB into a computer...
2018-8-16
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-16 08:03
Plug the USB into a computer...

I tried the side usb connector but iTunes does not recognize the device.

Do I use the bottom connector (I have a dji adapter/not a cable) going to the RC.

What type of connector is that?
2018-8-16
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

They're both USB connectors.

No idea how to get stuff off using apple (one of the 100,000,000,000 reasons id never use one) but android its a case of plug into the USB, select MTP mode and use a file browser to access the location specified above.
Im sure a google search will reveal how to do it not using android though.

Use the bottom connector but you MUST unplug things from the side otherwise it wont work.
2018-8-16
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>

msinger Posted at 2018-8-16 06:40
The Find My Drone feature will only show you the last GPS location recorded in the TXT flight log on your mobile device. If your drone was still in the air when you lost it, then it's likely not at that location.

Following your iTunes instruction of mac.  Plug in the usb-c on the crystal sky then into the computer and launch iTunes.  Nothing happens...apparently doesn't recognize the 'device'?  Any other way of getting this data off the crystal sky?
2018-8-16
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

geoffz Posted at 2018-8-16 07:15

Follow these instructions:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 9447&pid=921293
2018-8-16
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>

msinger Posted at 2018-8-16 09:52
Follow these instructions:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=109447&pid=921293

"Bell" icon??

Don't see any bell icon.
2018-8-16
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Here's a video showing how to access files from a CrystalSky:

Once connected to your computer, you should find your TXT flight logs in "DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord".
2018-8-16
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>

msinger Posted at 2018-8-16 10:09
Here's a video showing how to access files from a CrystalSky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3jVu3rfaPU

Managed to download all the txt files to a mico-sd card.

Sending forthwith.
2018-8-16
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>

geoffz Posted at 2018-8-16 10:21
Managed to download all the txt files to a mico-sd card.

Sending forthwith.

There are many files (200megs roughly).

I select the top file but am unable to shift click or select them all!

What do you suggest.

Can we PM all this stuff?
2018-8-16
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>

geoffz Posted at 2018-8-16 10:40
There are many files (200megs roughly).

I select the top file but am unable to shift click or select them all!

ok...i finally got it.

you select one file and it shows the flight.

however, I started with the first txt file and it lists the flight just prior to the 'last' flight when I actually lost contact with the drone.  about 20 minutes last I was able to reestablish contact but by that time it had already landing 'somewhere'.  The camera was pointed up towards the sky, so I had no visuals reference either.
2018-8-16
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>

geoffz Posted at 2018-8-16 10:53
ok...i finally got it.

you select one file and it shows the flight.

So the most recent 'txt' log just shows the green line ends where it lost signal.

After loosing contact, I was able to reconnect about 15 minutes later but it had already dropped to the ground.

The camera was pointing skyward, so I had no visual record to associate it's whereabouts.

Question: Besides these txt logs...would any other stored data help me to find where it set down??
2018-8-16
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft

Find my drone took me right to the tree my drone was in 2 miles away .......
2018-8-16
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer

geoffz Posted at 2018-8-16 11:22
So the most recent 'txt' log just shows the green line ends where it lost signal.

After loosing contact, I was able to reconnect about 15 minutes later but it had already dropped to the ground.

If you reconnected  you should have got a gps location update for that conection ....  that should put you within a few meters of where it is....  however even though when I crashed my drone last week and it took me right to the tree I still couldn't see it for about 20 minutes. ....
2018-8-16
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>

Anthony566 Posted at 2018-8-16 13:38
If you reconnected  you should have got a gps location update for that conection ....  that should put you within a few meters of where it is....  however even though when I crashed my drone last week and it took me right to the tree I still couldn't see it for about 20 minutes. ....

Thanks for your response.

I'm going back tomorrow (3rd day) and revisit the area where it says it went down.

Fingers crossed.
2018-8-16
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer

geoffz Posted at 2018-8-16 15:26
Thanks for your response.

I'm going back tomorrow (3rd day) and revisit the area where it says it went down.

Good luck ....  
2018-8-16
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

geoffz Posted at 2018-8-16 11:22

The TXT log is the best information available. If you need help reading it, post a link to your log here.
2018-8-17
Use props
djiuser_wPpjZWiOuqFL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 841496 ft
United States

I am in the same situation, except mine was only 179 ft from me. When i lost contact I went to my house to get my keys.
  Video from the drone cut off as it sat and hovered 180feet away. I'm guessing it landed because flight record shows that as its last known position.
  However, at that same time, a 10 year old boy from the property next to where my drones LKP was, is riding his bike. And when I arrived at the LKP, the boy was going in his house.  So here I stare at a point on a map that helps me none at all.
2020-6-9
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_wPpjZWiOuqFL Posted at 6-9 12:33
I am in the same situation, except mine was only 179 ft from me. When i lost contact I went to my house to get my keys.
  Video from the drone cut off as it sat and hovered 180feet away. I'm guessing it landed because flight record shows that as its last known position.
  However, at that same time, a 10 year old boy from the property next to where my drones LKP was, is riding his bike. And when I arrived at the LKP, the boy was going in his house.  So here I stare at a point on a map that helps me none at all.

I never did locate mine.

In your case, sounds like the kid might have picked it up.

Buy him a coke 'n a burger!
2020-6-9
Use props
layiti
lvl.1
Flight distance : 318763 ft
Canada

Not sure if anyone reading this page, but im desperately in need of help, we cant find our drone at the last location n it was getting dark, so we went home and will go back first thing in the morning, could someone help to analyse this log n tell us what u think?

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8RBS240K0NLO0UKAMJ82/

would really appreciate it in advance, thank you.
2021-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules