aircraft rotates left by itself......
4322 90 2018-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ariel2020
lvl.2

Cetacean Posted at 2018-8-25 13:57
Aloha ariel,

Mahalo for the update!  Your choice of action is probably the best under the circumstances.  DJI needs to see first hand what you have been describing.  Be sure you let them know that Return To Home does travel straight home without rotating on its own.  It would have been helpful if you could have tested CourseLock.  Courselock is similar to the operation "Return to Home" in how it isolates the stick commands.

cetacean, the sticks would not activate the aircraft at all so no flying possible.....when i was calibrating them the left stick diagram showed 100% on up/down, but on left/right the numbers were in the 40-50's....if i just let the calibration continue without moving the sticks, the left stick would would show motion to the left by itself and the numbers were 10-20's....the calibration would not let you finish it....
thanks for your thoughts and help in all this....be very nice to have it all come together, and my controller is now on the way to dji.....let's see what they can do.....
2018-8-25
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

ariel2020 Posted at 2018-8-25 14:41
cetacean, the sticks would not activate the aircraft at all so no flying possible.....when i was calibrating them the left stick diagram showed 100% on up/down, but on left/right the numbers were in the 40-50's....if i just let the calibration continue without moving the sticks, the left stick would would show motion to the left by itself and the numbers were 10-20's....the calibration would not let you finish it....
thanks for your thoughts and help in all this....be very nice to have it all come together, and my controller is now on the way to dji.....let's see what they can do.....

Aloha ariel,

Wow, that is a really good documentation of your problem!  When you get your controller back, be sure to do a Remote Controller calibration again.  Be sure to try to get those percentage numbers for 10-20 seconds before you give up.  The RC computer is a lightweight, but slow computer and it takes a while before the calculations are set for the calibration.  

Trying remote controller calibrations on your other Phantoms will help you understand the unique ways of the DJI remote controller calibration.  Plus, you will get better performance out of your other Phantoms.  All of my Phantoms have had to take 5 to 15 seconds to just start the calibration.  I did RC calibrations on my P4 Pro and P4 just to be able to comment in this thread for you.  It can only help.

But, it looks like you have shown that the sticks have a problem that is causing your P4 Pro V.2 to rotate without stick input.  This is really good news!  DJI may have gotten a bad set of joystick sensors and that is why this problem is occurring for you and others.  

Sorry to hear that there is a problem you had to send the remote controller in for repair / replace, but soon you will get a really nice system to fly.  While you wait, look up HomeLock, CourseLock, Point of Interest, and the many other Intelligent Flight Modes available for you to fly.  Many of these are available on your other Phantoms, so you can try them out.  My P4 Pro is a dream to fly.  The DJI P4 Pro V.2 web page has videos and then there is the DJI YouTube Channel that has many other videos.

Since you have a week or two of down time, watching videos and even reading the Manual again can give you an advantage when your P4 Pro V.2 is returned to you.  You have some experience already, so when you read the manual again, you can better put it in context.  Most of us have read each Phantom's manual multiple times.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-8-25
Use props
ariel2020
lvl.2

Cetacean Posted at 2018-8-25 23:24
Aloha ariel,

Wow, that is a really good documentation of your problem!  When you get your controller back, be sure to do a Remote Controller calibration again.  Be sure to try to get those percentage numbers for 10-20 seconds before you give up.  The RC computer is a lightweight, but slow computer and it takes a while before the calculations are set for the calibration.  

thank you, cetacean....great guidelines, great advice.....well, yes, i miss not having the option to fly at any moment, but am comfortable knowing that a restored to full capacity circumstance is in the works.....thanks again...
2018-8-26
Use props
Leo_S
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49163 ft
Canada

Mine drifts too. This is a super common problem with the Phantom 4 Pro. Please fix this DJI! On every forum I see, the reps pretend like it's the first time they've ever seen it.
Stop wasting our time with calibrations and nonsense. It's clearly a firmware issue.

2018-8-27
Use props
ariel2020
lvl.2
United States

Leo_S Posted at 2018-8-27 13:02
Mine drifts too. This is a super common problem with the Phantom 4 Pro. Please fix this DJI! On every forum I see, the reps pretend like it's the first time they've ever seen it.
Stop wasting our time with calibrations and nonsense. It's clearly a firmware issue.

happy to report DJI requested i return my controller (sticks would not engage with aircraft, rotates left by itself).  they replaced my controller.  received yesterday, 12 day turn-a-round.....today 2 flights and all is well....flies perfectly, does not rotate by itself.....so, excellent report, and DJI, communicated through-out, paid postage both ways, replaced controller, no charge......
2018-9-6
Use props
F.KOK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18954370 ft
  • >>>
Namibia

ariel2020 Posted at 2018-9-6 20:37
happy to report DJI requested i return my controller (sticks would not engage with aircraft, rotates left by itself).  they replaced my controller.  received yesterday, 12 day turn-a-round.....today 2 flights and all is well....flies perfectly, does not rotate by itself.....so, excellent report, and DJI, communicated through-out, paid postage both ways, replaced controller, no charge......

Good to hear reports like this.
2018-9-6
Use props
HarleyGuy55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1159409 ft
United States

My now maybe 4 week old V2.0 is doing the same thing drifting to the left and does not fly straight .. well it flies were i tell it to but the gimbal seems to lag a bit in direction of travel.. It does get a bit irritating . if you watch the play back that just shows the map screen with the arrow as the bird you can plainly see the bird flying in one direction and the camera pointing a bit to the left and it takes a bit of a distance traveled to become straight and by then i'm already turning so it really never gets aligned right. Yes i have the latest FW and no i do not store it in the foam case the sticks are not touched in any way while being stored... So its nature of the beast i guess , I'm sure not going to send it back nor do any kind of update till it's been a proven update.. My bird flies great at this time minus the gimbal wondering around. Hell even when it's just sitting warming up it wanders around and after i've flown a 30 min mission i land and it starts wandering around like i do in the morning before i get my coffee. LOL. Anyway I have the same issue.
2018-9-7
Use props
digsy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1085404 ft
Australia

I've had my v2.0 Plus for 6 weeks now and can attest to the same problem that everybody describes here.

When flying straight over a long distance, the bird starts to yaw the the left with the camera not facing dead center. I also get the yaw on hover although that is intermittent.

I have the latest firmware on both devices I've done countless imu, control stick, gimbal and compass calibrations as well as the vps calibration via my laptop but the problem still exists.

Sticks dont touch when I store it in my Incase bag.

I've reported the issue to support and they suggest I send it in for them to test.

Hoping that an update is released soon.
2018-9-7
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

ariel2020 Posted at 2018-9-6 20:37

Glad to see this issue was fixed with your replacement controller.

However it does seem to warranty an additional question, can DJI not fix this issue with existing controllers, and thus have made a hard ware revision to new and or replacement controllers?  

If I understand you only sent in the controller, thus the issue is not in the drone itself?

There are hundreds of reports of this issue.  I am now wondering if DjI has made a internal EC (engineering change) to the controller.  If so and all previous versions can't be fixed with out such an EC, then DJI should consider a recall.  

Sad to see that DJI has not stepped up to address this in a more professional manner.

Paul Caldwell
2018-9-8
Use props
ariel2020
lvl.2
United States

paul2660 Posted at 2018-9-8 04:02
Glad to see this issue was fixed with your replacement controller.

However it does seem to warranty an additional question, can DJI not fix this issue with existing controllers, and thus have made a hard ware revision to new and or replacement controllers?  

yes, this rotating-by-itself issue must be big picture addressed by DJI for sure....in my instance of having a new controller i am delighted it is flying and hovering without auto-rotating, but i remember that my original controller did not allow the aircraft to rotate by itself until a couple of months of flying, perhaps 20 hours in the air....so i am cautioned to wait to be sure this new controller is ok until it has been in service for at least 20 hours.....i do appreciate DJI's prompt and excellent handling of my circumstances....that being said 'the jury is still out' on this auto-rotation circumstance....
2018-9-8
Use props
Leo_S
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49163 ft
Canada

ariel2020 Posted at 2018-9-8 08:10
yes, this rotating-by-itself issue must be big picture addressed by DJI for sure....in my instance of having a new controller i am delighted it is flying and hovering without auto-rotating, but i remember that my original controller did not allow the aircraft to rotate by itself until a couple of months of flying, perhaps 20 hours in the air....so i am cautioned to wait to be sure this new controller is ok until it has been in service for at least 20 hours.....i do appreciate DJI's prompt and excellent handling of my circumstances....that being said 'the jury is still out' on this auto-rotation circumstance....

Just FYI, mine is doing this now more than ever. I can't even fly straight anymore. Each flight is diagonal and the amount of compass errors that pop up in the middle of nowhere is unbelievable.
2018-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules