Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone started drifting to the wall
2487 34 2018-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Leebroath
lvl.4
Flight distance : 102923 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hey guys,

I was out the other day with my partner and taking a few shots with the Drone at our harbour

When I came back to land the drone started drifting to the wall on ots own accord which was strange

Only way I stopped the drone smashing into the wall was to lift it way up about 5 metres

This is all strange because I was not in Sports mode either

Anyome have this issue?

2018-8-17
Use props
DH_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

I have something similar due to compass error where I get error that there is compass error and exited gps mode, did you get any error also what was gps status at time of this issue. What FW are you on?
2018-8-17
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi there,

I made sure everything was updated tot rhe most recent Firmware on everything when I unpacked the Drone last week

Never noticed anything untoward on the GPS, if it happens again I'll keep an eye out on the screen

At the time I was more concentrated on the drone not hitting the wall and wondering why it was not moving the way it should be

2018-8-17
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Check your flight log to see which mode it fly during landing. You can post flight log on the forum if want someone help to take a look.
2018-8-17
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi GDL

Can you view the flight Logs on the computer or iphone screen?

Would be cool to trace the exact path it started moving towards the wall

EDIT

Ok I have looked on my phone in the App and I have the very path which was when the drone started drifting

Can anyone please avise how I upload the details?

2018-8-17
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Leebroath Posted at 2018-8-17 00:57
Hi GDL

Can you view the flight Logs on the computer or iphone screen?

The flightrecord is stored in a DJI subfolder on your mobile device. You can upload it to this site and share the link with us: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
I am quite sure that your Mavic was in ATTI mode when the incident happened. This mode is not easy to fly since the aircraft cannot hold its position and cannot brake either. When this happens you need to controll it with 100% stick movements. Best thing to do is landing as quickly as possible. RTH will also not work because without GPS link the aircraft does not know its location.
2018-8-17
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok will do

I had a look on the flight on my iphona and you can clearly see the stick I was moving and how it was drifting

I keep moving the stock right and it keeps going left with no stick movement

Will post up as soon as I download (crappy) iTunes ;)
2018-8-17
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi guys,

Ok here we go added DRIFT LOG
2018-8-17
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Leebroath Posted at 2018-8-17 01:40
Hi guys,

Interesting, no switch to ATTI mode, but you seem to have had very heavy wind (see the "Attitude too large" warnings) which could also explain the drifting.
Maybe others here can tell you more.
2018-8-17
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We were at the harbour and I agree there was slightly strong winds out to the sea, but where we were was very secluded which is why my partner wanted to sit there as she was reading her book. There was hardly any wind at the point the MA started drifting
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Firstly, we are very sorry to hear about the incident. I would recommend you contact our support team and start up a case: (https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav). You can provide your case number here in case you need further assistance. Thanks for your support.
2018-8-17
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

How high was it above water surface when it started this drifting ?

I wonder if the VPS (Visual Positioning System) had locked onto something in the water and was drifting with that. This was certainly a potential problem in the past with VPS enabled and trying to hold position over moving water. Although it may just have been wind, there is one high wind warning and several regarding 'the attitude' (level) of the aircraft, it was a bit blustery yesterday :-)

Was this a second flight, the aircraft had been powered up for over ten minutes when you started this flight ?
2018-8-17
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>

Def wasn’t the wind as we were sitting there for shelter, the drone was only about 5ft away and about 4 to 5 feet above the ground at the time
Yes I had 3 flights and this was the second
The drifting only happened when it was beside us, never happened over water

2018-8-17
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

Leebroath Posted at 2018-8-17 05:24
Def wasn’t the wind as we were sitting there for shelter, the drone was only about 5ft away and about 4 to 5 feet above the ground at the time
Yes I had 3 flights and this was the second
The drifting only happened when it was beside us, never happened over water

Was third flight with same battery ?

Reason I ask is that you took off with 47% for this flight, and landed at 26%.

The aircraft will land itself at 10% critical level.
2018-8-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Leebroath Posted at 2018-8-17 01:40
Hi guys,

Looking at your log.
A few seconds before you increased altitude to approx 5 metre, was this when you seen drifting ?

In your log it shows craft at 1.4 ft at 14min 11sec you seem according to your log to be full on rudder (Yaw) just before you increased altitude at 14min 16sec causing aircraft to spin would this have been the cause of drifting you were also 17 ft away from homepoint, maybe with all the spinning wind and so fort it looked as if aircraft was drifting. Or why were you spinning aircraft so close to the ground, if light was not great or not enough textured or dark ground underneath aircraft and with this kind of movement , VPs might be having trouble getting some lock.

2018-8-17
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I seen the drifting before I went to 5 metres, I will save the flight path to YouTube tonight and this will show.

You can see the stick on the right moving right and releasing and the drone just keeps slowly creeping towards the wall, this happens a couple of times then I try to turn the drone. It’s starts happening again a couple times and this is when it goes near to the wall and I shoot the Drone up 5 metres
2018-8-17
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

How close were you to the wall when this happened and what were the lighting conditions?  

When you are close to objects (such as a large wall), there are many variables at play that could affect the aircraft's positioning:
  • the air vortices caused by the air movement from the props can do some interesting things and push the aircraft around
  • GPS accuracy can be lowered due to the wall blocking line of sight to quite a few GPS signals and bouncing other GPS signals
  • Low light caused by shadows from the wall can impede the downward facing VPS system's from detecting the moving surface.  (Especially if surface is uniform in color and texture)

Put 2 or more of the above together and it can cause the aircraft to move around quite significantly.  I'd recommend for most takeoff/landing scenarios to be undertaken in a more open environment away from walls to minimize risks.

BTW, good save of your aircraft to immediately gain elevation and shoot up above the wall. Many pilots freeze in this scenario.  Cheers!
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Leebroath Posted at 2018-8-17 07:11
I seen the drifting before I went to 5 metres, I will save the flight path to YouTube tonight and this will show.

You can see the stick on the right moving right and releasing and the drone just keeps slowly creeping towards the wall, this happens a couple of times then I try to turn the drone. It’s starts happening again a couple times and this is when it goes near to the wall and I shoot the Drone up 5 metres

Hi, have you already filled out the form from our website? We need to evaluate the flight logs and check if there's product malfunction or if its a pilot error.
2018-8-17
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here you go guys, video uploads

https://youtu.be/5QJH9twlsFM
2018-8-17
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi DJI Gamora

No one has told me to upload flight logs or anything mate? I contacted customer services on chat and they said they couldn’t do anything with the logs so they said to send the Drone in to DJI.

Can you please advise if this form to fill in?
2018-8-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Leebroath Posted at 2018-8-17 07:19
Here you go guys, video uploads

https://youtu.be/5QJH9twlsFM

It’s very difficult to see from that video, but looking at everything else I would put drifting down to VPS sensors not locking on because of ground underneath. You should try test in good light at similar altitude in open location to see if craft is holding steady.
2018-8-17
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can someone please help to direct me where I upload the flight logs?
2018-8-17
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok folks I now have some pics of the area, I went back and took photos an hour ago

As you can see the red is us and the blue is the drone, and where it was trying to drift towrds the wall

This was our secluded spot out of the wind and the wall which I had to raise the drone over so it didnt bash the wall

2018-8-17
Use props
GaryNash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

Lucky you didnt plonk it in the sea or dock taking off on a 47 % battery.

Looks like at several times it was struggling with the wind conditions …

No problems in your log really …

you done a manual take off. Did you fly away from the home position at to low an altitude to soon before it could properly map it home position take off location.

2018-8-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Leebroath Posted at 2018-8-17 09:38
Ok folks I now have some pics of the area, I went back and took photos an hour ago

As you can see the red is us and the blue is the drone, and where it was trying to drift towrds the wall

Piers are a real source of rebar concrete, I would normally advise not taking off from these areas, I believe you will be able to tell more about what happened if you just test in an open area, if all is ok then you will know that some interference caused your drone to drift and if your drone still drifts at low altitude then you may have a problem.

The process of elimination will give you some of the answers your looking for, with these pictures you are just going to get more speculation.
2018-8-17
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I dont think I did what you suggest Gary, it was juat a normal take off, forgot to say, the tide was out on the day so I was pretty much above the beach still and not water

I will see about downloading the .dat file to  Dropbox but don't you need to pay for this?

edit, ok the basic is free with 2gb space

2018-8-17
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

Leebroath Posted at 2018-8-17 11:00
I dont think I did what you suggest Gary, it was juat a normal take off, forgot to say, the tide was out on the day so I was pretty much above the beach still and not water

Just checked out the photos, reminded me of 'The Saint' (1962-69, Roger Moore)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Saint_titlecard.jpg
2018-8-17
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Have you contact Dji
2018-8-18
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I contacted DJI customer services and they would not accept the flight log, they gave me an address to send the product in

I have also doenloaded the .DAT file and sent it to DJO Paladin (Admin) for sending to the Tech guys, no idea if this was the right person

2018-8-18
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Is the problem still exist when you try again? How about other location?
2018-8-18
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Im going out today again to try
2018-8-18
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No answer from DJI Paladin regarding the .dat files

Can anyone recommend a moderator I can send the DAT file to for for forwarding onto an Engineer please?

I see there is someone else having drifting issues on this
2018-8-24
Use props
Amjad1983
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310489 ft
United Arab Emirates

it seems calibration problem , when was your last calibration process?
2018-8-24
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Compass or IMU ?

I honestly can’t remember doing the compass for that flight and I definitely didn’t do an IMU

So what makes you say it’s a calibration issue?

If that is the case then I am signing with relief because I love this drone and wanted it to work so badly

I did do a second flight and had to do a compass calibration at that time which I did, on that flight there was no drifting
2018-8-24
Use props
Kavcic1208
New
Flight distance : 255315 ft
Slovenia

Hello,

My drone also drifted away ( controller didnt respond to any of my commands ) and crashed to the rocks and fell in to the water, i have send my drone to service, and they just send me back email that i have dji refresh and i have to pay 89,00 € to get new drone, they didnt  give me any explenation why this happened, i have given them all the data of flight records and everything. This is the mail that i have writen them - explanation of the crash  :  

Report of the crash mavic air on 19.08.2018 around 11 am:
The first flight went ok, but from time to time when drone should hover and i didnt push any sticks, the drone itself flew slowly to the left - drift away , but when I pushed the stick to move the drone to the other side everything was fine. Then i did controller calibration and i start my drone again, i was flying for about one minute and wanted to take a shot of a beach, then suddenly the drone again went flying to the left ( from my perspective ), there were rocks on the left so i tried to move the drone to the opposite site and towards me ( also visible on flight record ) , but the control keys didnt worked, i also tried to hit pause but that also didnt worked, then the drone crashed into the rocks and felt down in to the sea. The problem with the controller also happened about 14 days ago, first when i turned on the controller it started beeping and didnt stop ( battery of the controller was full ), then i turned off the controlle and turned it back on and it stopped beeping, then when i was flying it, it went left itself from time to time ( full gps signal ) but then i calibrated the controller everything was fine . I think that there was something wrong with the controller, i have done a lot of flights till this crash, and i tried to prevent crash from happening, but the controlls didnt worked. You can also see the last pictures and video from the flight record to see where the crash happened and I am also attaching the photo made with the phone where the drone crashed ( as on the picture the drone was pointing with camera towards me, you will see on flight log which buttons i pushed and nothing worked ).

please help !
2018-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules