Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery Charging Cycles Survay
492 6 2018-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was wondering how many charging cycles users are getting from there batteries. I have right around 100 on all 4 of my batteries and I’m noticing a slight amount of swelling after flying. Performance is still good and no errors. I was told that I should not use them anymore. Would like others opinions.
Regards,
Tom

2018-8-17
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

There was another post here where the battery had some swelling after or during the charge cycle but it returned to normal after a while. Only 100 cycles makes for a very expensive flight. I would pay more attention to the duration of the battery and how fast it is discharging. If you use a service such as Airdata it is easy to keep track of your battery activity and health.  Personally I run a fully charged battery down to 50% before recharging it the first 3-4 flights . After that I land at 20%.
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. The standard number of charging cycle for Inspire 2 batteries are approximately 200 cycles. It could be less or could be more.
2018-8-17
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi,
Typically if the batteries start to swell, it could be due to excessive heat from overcharging or over discharging. The DJI charger should not allow overcharging. But the user can cause over discharging by flying hard and fast right down to the last percentage of available battery power. Flying in very hot weather or leaving your batteries out in the heat.

If you can manage to limit yourself to fly the first 10- 20 cycles to only 50%. I know this may not be possible, but it will extend the life of your batteries.

What causes the battery to puff up?
This happens when the sealed container sleeve (of each cell) is tripping gasses from this situation. Most Li-Po battery manufactures state: do not use batteries that are swelling or puffed up. Definitely watch the batteries closely and decide.  
Some photos showing the Inspire 2 battery cells with the case removed.

Rich

IMG_0670.jpg IMG_0671.jpg IMG_0673.jpg IMG_0675.jpg
2018-8-17
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-8-17 08:13
Hi,
Typically if the batteries start to swell, it could be due to excessive heat from overcharging or over discharging. The DJI charger should not allow overcharging. But the user can cause over discharging by flying hard and fast right down to the last percentage of available battery power. Flying in very hot weather or leaving your batteries out in the heat.

Sorry I for the late reply and yes, this info is useful. I am using the supplied charger and never fly it hard. I think I tried sports mode only a few times. Many of my flights are for photography so I am just hovering. As far draining the batteries, I usually only drain them to around 30%. I have LiPo batteries for my cameras and have well over 500 charges on them and they are still going strong. Of course, I understand the stress on camera batteries is much less UAV battery stress.

Best regards,
Tom
2018-8-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

dldp-sp Posted at 2018-8-19 02:52
Sorry I for the late reply and yes, this info is useful. I am using the supplied charger and never fly it hard. I think I tried sports mode only a few times. Many of my flights are for photography so I am just hovering. As far draining the batteries, I usually only drain them to around 30%. I have LiPo batteries for my cameras and have well over 500 charges on them and they are still going strong. Of course, I understand the stress on camera batteries is much less UAV battery stress.

Best regards,

Hi Tom,
that's okay,  the reason I included the photos was to make you more aware of what these batteries look like inside. ""IMO""  DJI uses average quality Li-Po cells vs some that can be found in our model aviation Hobby. The C rating of a Li-Po pack greatly affects the life of the battery when they are exposed to high current draw and heat. Example: average C rating would be 25-30 amp and the higher end packs are 45-100 amp C rating.

Hovering in one place actually puts more stress on the battery power. Flying at slower speeds will be easier on the batteries.

You are correct that these aircraft can be hard on the batteries and will vary tremendously. I would say the average battery cycle life would be closer to 130 charge cycles with continuous use. The other factors would be age and how long they sit around in storage.

All the best
Rich
2018-8-19
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Being in the RC Hobby, and now a 107 Pilot......I recommend NOT to fly with a swollen or puffed battery.

It can become disconnected with enough pressure/swelling.  Costing you the AC

Buy new battery/s

Randy
2018-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules