Any advice for first time flying near a windfarm?
2678 60 2018-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-8-17 20:56
I have proven that any turbulence from the blades is not worth mentioning, it has NIL effect on our drones. My P4P happily hovered behind turbine in 30mph gusts whilst chatting to 2 traffic cops that was interested  In the video i was about 80m away, i thought it was about 50m but googles not often wrong lol the part i didnt video i was closer, i wont say how much closer but suffice to say, there is nil effect, even if there was, its not noticeable, the ac would compensated quite easily  I will also say that there was no interefence what so ever from the blades nor the nacelle, again, i wont say how close i was but i will say that a drone could not have safely flown between me and and it ;) thats open to a lot but think minimal

Near the nacelle, the blades are moving really slowly, no reason there would be much turbulence there, nearly all the turbulence comes off the blade tips where they are doing 180mph, and close to the blades the turbulence is small but very strong.  If you are close to the back of the turbine then you are unlikely to be affected, further back where the turbulence has spread out there should be noticeable effects for quite a long distance back.

Maybe the turbines you encountered have anti-radar coatings to avoid interfering with your reception, one of the biggest problems with large turbines is their affect on air traffic control and military radars.
2018-8-18
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-8-17 15:58
Aberdeen heliport is one of the busiest in the world.

NATS - The National Air Traffic Service has released a time lapse video showing a day of air traffic above the UK. The video includes a look at Aberdeen home to the worlds busiest heliport.

Aberdeen is home to three helicopter terminals dedicated to North Sea operations, used by Bristow Helicopters, CHC-Scotia and Bond Offshore Helicopters. There is also a small terminal adjacent to the main passenger terminal, Broomfield House used primarily for oil company charter flights to Scatsta in Shetland.

2018-8-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can assure you that they have nill effect on a P4P, no matter how close or how far you are from them, there may well be some turbulence but like i said, whatever there is has no noticeable effect
2018-8-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-8-17 21:59
Could you please be a little more Vague? Haha

one must be careful ;)
2018-8-18
Use props
Harryscopic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1422920 ft

DJI Gamora's reply is very relevant! From experience, I can say that radio interference is a real factor around some windmills, it scared me once because I wasn't expecting it.
It's probably a combination of things including the large metal structures and the radio links between all the windmills and the control center or whatever. You may lose your signal, so be ready to back out of the area as soon as you regain control, you might need to walk to a different spot.
2018-8-18
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

No problem, just avoid hitting them.
2018-8-18
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2018-8-17 11:49
Trespass issues are at the top of my list.  I will get permission before I go.  You don't think there is much pull into it or very much push away from it?  I don't plan on getting very close, but I want to have some idea what to expect.

I would not worry about that. I would be more concerned with my composition of the photo.
2018-8-18
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

google "air turbulence windmill"  and you'll get a lot of hits ...
2018-8-18
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Antonio76 Posted at 2018-8-18 04:42
google "air turbulence windmill"  and you'll get a lot of hits ...

2018-8-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Not a cloud in the sky....  the turbines blew them away...

Too bad we couldn’t hook up a large enough fan to blow all of this forest fire smoke, back to BC....  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-8-18
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-8-18 09:23
Not a cloud in the sky....  the turbines blew them away...

Too bad we couldn’t hook up a larg enough fan to blow all of this forest fire smoke, back to BC....  ;-)

I've seen people talking about using wind turbines to blow cloud/smoke away before, but that takes a huge amount of power. I've never worked out where you get the power from?
2018-8-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-8-18 12:30
I've seen people talking about using wind turbines to blow cloud/smoke away before, but that takes a huge amount of power. I've never worked out where you get the power from?

Sounds like a job for endless Solar energy... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-8-18
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-8-18 20:28

The solar energy would only work after you have blown the clouds away, you can't use it to blow the clouds away!
2018-8-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-8-18 22:20
The solar energy would only work after you have blown the clouds away, you can't use it to blow the clouds away!

Solar energy charges batteries, and you don’t need direct sunlight for that...

RedHotPoker
2018-8-18
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

What not to do:

Don't fly behind them and don't set the RTH lower than the top of the turbine blades, and if you loose connection, take your fingers off the controls so that you don't accidently cancel the RTH climb between blades passing in front of the aircraft.

One I found on YouTube:

2018-8-19
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-8-19 00:34
What not to do:

Don't fly behind them and don't set the RTH lower than the top of the turbine blades, and if you loose connection, take your fingers off the controls so that you don't accidently cancel the RTH climb between blades passing in front of the aircraft.

The pucker factor on that is off the charts!!!!
2018-8-20
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-8-17 14:27
@MrRobert5823, you could always get your drone back, if it crashes up there.... ha
https://youtu.be/jQZ_PhvRE14

I didn't see the parachute at first... I was thinking... "How on Earth is OSHA okay with this!!??"  
2018-8-20
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-8-17 20:56
I have proven that any turbulence from the blades is not worth mentioning, it has NIL effect on our drones. My P4P happily hovered behind turbine in 30mph gusts whilst chatting to 2 traffic cops that was interested  In the video i was about 80m away, i thought it was about 50m but googles not often wrong lol the part i didnt video i was closer, i wont say how much closer but suffice to say, there is nil effect, even if there was, its not noticeable, the ac would compensated quite easily  I will also say that there was no interefence what so ever from the blades nor the nacelle, again, i wont say how close i was but i will say that a drone could not have safely flown between me and and it ;) thats open to a lot but think minimal

Thanks... I appreciate it
2018-8-20
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-8-18 20:28

no, it's a job for SuperHamster -just apply the wheel to the windmill's  rotor and SuperHamster will rotate the blades so fast that the resulting airflow will not only blow away the smoke, it will also provide enough air to completely and instantly burn down all the fires...
124689.jpg
2018-8-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Antonio76 Posted at 2018-8-20 05:48
no, it's a job for SuperHamster -just apply the wheel to the windmill's  rotor and SuperHamster will rotate the blades so fast that the resulting airflow will not only blow away the smoke, it will also provide enough air to completely and instantly burn down all the fires...

I like it... haha

RedHotPoker
2018-8-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2018-8-20 05:41
I didn't see the parachute at first... I was thinking... "How on Earth is OSHA okay with this!!??"

Yes, that would be a long drop, to the bottom...

RedHotPoker
2018-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules