Beware of Geo Fence Borders
1027 4 2018-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ssylca44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft

It has been reported of ACs authorized to fly in a restricted area NOT been able to return home when leaving the 'free to fly' area. It happened to me in a different way, I had unlocked a restricted area and had no problem flying there, but couldn't fly into an UNRESTRICTED area until I disabled the former authorization. Fortunately, I was well outside the border limit and the situation didn't cause problems (once I found out, by trial and error, that I had to disable the previous authorization) My recommendation is STAY CLEAR OF NFZ BORDERS!

2018-8-17
Use props
MarkMN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 77100 ft
United States

Has there ever been more than 1 case reported of someone who could no longer re-enter an unlocked restricted area?

The only case I'm aware of was of someone who had a 24 permission, took off just before the time expired, flew out of the zone, the time expired, and was not able to fly back in, leading to the drone dropping into the sea. And where I can see that as very poor programming on the part of DJI, I don't recall reading of any other similar instances. And since he was able to fly out, that contradicts your experience. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it seems to me there must have been some other extenuating circumstances.

Another situation that may or may not have been remedied in the latest updates happened where someone had placed up a geofence of some distance e.g. 100M. The drone went into ATTI mode and drifted beyond the geofence, then when GPS was recovered, it would not return closer than the 100M distance.

Since I'm not near any restricted zones I may ever want to fly in,  I don't anticipate trying any of these scenarios myself.

But it would be interesting to see the log from your flight where you were prevented from leaving.
2018-8-17
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer

Hi Mark,

Actually, I was prevented from taking off, therefore had no trouble returning.
Geofences can be a pain in particular since the self-unlocking system doesn't seem to work in Canada. I am located within the yellow zone of a small regional airport and need unlocking even to fly in my backyard. To the credit of 'flysafe@dji.com' I was able to open a 1000m radius zone centered on my house for 30 days, I expect I will be able to renew it when it expires. Still, I have to disable this 1000m zone to fly in any non-restricted zones and I am concerned with flying too close to the 'edge' of my 1000m zone.
2018-8-17
Use props
djiuser_PNmnsZ2GsP6o
New

Croatia

I took off in Dubrovnik in the non geofenced area. I believe I reached the edge of the geofenced area so i couldn't fly back. Almost lost the drone, luckily it was safe.
2023-6-1
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_PNmnsZ2GsP6o Posted at 6-1 04:00
I took off in Dubrovnik in the non geofenced area. I believe I reached the edge of the geofenced area so i couldn't fly back. Almost lost the drone, luckily it was safe.

Hi, you sure were lucky. Cheers
2023-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules