My Mavic Pro's battery released itself during the flight.
12Next >
5824 56 2018-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Everton de Cast
lvl.1

Brazil

Why did this happen to my drone? I was flying and on receiving the 30% battery alert I went back to landing.
Almost 15 meters and descending the drone turns itself off, after releasing the battery.
How could this happen? Has the battery swelled in less than 30 flights?
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry for the troubles that it caused, you mean while aircraft descends the battery seems to be off? What is the current condition of the drone? Please keep us posted for further help.
2018-8-17
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I doubt it released itself, is the battery swolen? do you have any pix of it?
The MP battery snaps in there tight and if not pushed in all the way it can easily "snap" out.  Always make sure to push the battery all the way in until it snaps in place.
2018-8-17
Use props
Everton de Cast
lvl.1

Brazil

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-8-17 16:45
I doubt it released itself, is the battery swolen? do you have any pix of it?
The MP battery snaps in there tight and if not pushed in all the way it can easily "snap" out.  Always make sure to push the battery all the way in until it snaps in place.

Hi. Yes, I have pictures.
Sorry for the translator's english. I meant inflated battery.

Screenshot_2018-08-17-21-59-39.png .
2018-8-17
Use props
Everton de Cast
lvl.1

Brazil

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-17 16:28
Hi, sorry for the troubles that it caused, you mean while aircraft descends the battery seems to be off? What is the current condition of the drone? Please keep us posted for further help.

I was recording with the drone, and during the landing stopped the motors and fell. Me and a friend were close by and ran to get the drone. He fell on top of us.

2018-8-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

The bottom of battery looks swollen.  If bottom of battery is swollen, the swelling probably pushed battery up to where battery holding clips popped loose.  
2018-8-17
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Another reason not to fly during the hot summer months.
2018-8-17
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Everton de Cast Posted at 2018-8-17 17:12
Hi. Yes, I have pictures.
Sorry for the translator's english. I meant inflated battery.

Is that a DJI OEM battery?
2018-8-17
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Swollen battery could have popped itself out. Never seen one swell up that way during flight though.
2018-8-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-8-17 19:23

Great question, looked off brand.
2018-8-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

It looks like back end of DJI battery, turned so bottom is up.  Camera flash washed out battery and hand, making it hard to tell.
2018-8-17
Use props
Everton de Cast
lvl.1

Brazil

The battery is original. I bought it in the Mavic pro combo kit

2018-8-18
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Ive got 3 batteries (fly more MP combo).  Of those, 1 is perfect the other 2 are swollen and barely lock in.  None produce cell errors.

Both the swollen ones did it during an actual flight.  Roughly 40 flights on them at the time.

Im fairly sure if/when i lose my MP it'll be because one of the swollen batteries has expanded and released itself in flight.
2018-8-18
Use props
Dorset_Horn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93379 ft

Oh dear. Yet another reason not to fly...
2018-8-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-18 06:59
Ive got 3 batteries (fly more MP combo).  Of those, 1 is perfect the other 2 are swollen and barely lock in.  None produce cell errors.

Both the swollen ones did it during an actual flight.  Roughly 40 flights on them at the time.

Im fairly sure if/when i lose my MP it'll be because one of the swollen batteries has expanded and released itself in flight.

If you are fairly sure - why continue to fly with them?  

I must be missing the joke / sarcasm...

2018-8-18
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Also make sure to store batteries in cool dry place.
2018-8-18
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-18 21:23
Im fairly sure if/when i lose my MP it'll be because one of the swollen batteries has expanded and released itself in flight.

If you are fairly sure - why continue to fly with them?  

Because i've got no real choice as its 100% impossible to buy batteries where im located without time off work and a flight out of the country.
2018-8-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-19 02:37
Because i've got no real choice as its 100% impossible to buy batteries where im located without time off work and a flight out of the country.

If you live in U.K you should be able to easily order new batteries and get them delivered. Might cost a bit more for postage in some areas but not impossible surely.
2018-8-19
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-19 02:37

There's this thing called the internet.
2018-8-19
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-8-19 06:56
There's this thing called the internet.

There's also this thing called customs and borders where lots of places won't post to certain countries along with the issue of sending lithium batteries internationally.

Good luck trying to get anything like that delivered.
2018-8-19
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-8-19 03:27
If you live in U.K you should be able to easily order new batteries and get them delivered. Might cost a bit more for postage in some areas but not impossible surely.

I don't live in the UK.  And many companies refuse to deliver to where i am.
Hence international flights needed to buy things.

2018-8-19
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

I would definitely not fly with swollen batteries......  

My batteries are 18 months old and have completed 50 flights each and are still in very good condition, how are you storing these ( power level ) and how often are you using them ??
2018-8-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-19 07:03
I don't live in the UK.  And many companies refuse to deliver to where i am.
Hence international flights needed to buy things.

How about slipping a Peer or Friend $50 to pickup and bring back a pair of batteries?

Perhaps there are others needing parts that can't be easily gotten locally, and together a buying pool could be made, with pool money paying for a member to fly out/in to pick-up parts?
2018-8-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Everton de Cast Posted at 2018-8-17 17:26
I was recording with the drone, and during the landing stopped the motors and fell. Me and a friend were close by and ran to get the drone. He fell on top of us.

Video minutes latter of crash.

Hi, thanks for your response. Again we're sorry on what happened to your drone, it would be better if you're going to contact our team for further help and evaluation. Please see the link below. Thank you.

www.dji.com/support
2018-8-19
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

I received my fly more combo a year ago in March. Of the 3 18 month old batteries that I originally got, all three of them have swollen. Funny thing is all three of them swelled up within a week of each other. Two additional batteries are working fine. I took very good care of them. Cooled them immediately after use, never used or charged while warm and had them self discharge while not in use. The last one has swollen so much after use that it was difficult to release from the clips in the Mavic.
2018-8-19
Use props
Everton de Cast
lvl.1

Brazil

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-19 08:13
Hi, thanks for your response. Again we're sorry on what happened to your drone, it would be better if you're going to contact our team for further help and evaluation. Please see the link below. Thank you.

www.dji.com/support

I already did this but unfortunately they will not be able to help me. I wanted to buy the parts directly with the dji, but they do not sell. Compared to how you would buy, a simple arm here in Brazil costs more than $ 300.
And I do not need the motor, just the plastic arm. Where can I buy spare parts at a fair price? Some parts of the gimbal also broke.

2018-8-19
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

EBAY sells Genuine DJI parts.
2018-8-19
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Anthony566 Posted at 2018-8-19 07:31
I would definitely not fly with swollen batteries......  

My batteries are 18 months old and have completed 50 flights each and are still in very good condition, how are you storing these ( power level ) and how often are you using them ??

I know exactly when the one battery swelled.  I was going a distance trial to see how far the mavic could fly from 100% to 33% battery in normal mode at full speed by doing 1km laps in front of me.
It was on that flight the battery went from normal to swelling.  Temperature hit 59c according to airdata.
No warnings of overcurrent or discharge on the flight.
The 2nd battery (also from fly more combo, same batch looking at serials) swelled up within a week or 2.
The original battery (different serial batch significantly) is fine.  All of them have pretty much identical number of flight and charge cycles.
To me that hints at a manufacturing/QC issue.  Some batches seem more prone than others.

2 swelled in the 40 something range.  Now all 3 have done 80ish flights.  No cell deviations or errors on the swollen ones, its just the physical issue of retaining a lock thats worrying.

2018-8-19
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

My 3 batteries are now little over 5 months old and each of them have almost 150 cycles on them and they show no signs of swelling.

They get cycled almost everyday.
2018-8-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Everton de Cast Posted at 2018-8-19 08:28
I already did this but unfortunately they will not be able to help me. I wanted to buy the parts directly with the dji, but they do not sell. Compared to how you would buy, a simple arm here in Brazil costs more than $ 300.
And I do not need the motor, just the plastic arm. Where can I buy spare parts at a fair price? Some parts of the gimbal also broke.

Hi, sorry that we're not selling any parts of our drone as we're not advising our customer to fix the drone because this process will lead to warranty avoidance, if may I ask where did you purchase the unit? Thank you.
2018-8-20
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

Its been my experience to listen  for the "click" when installing the battery
2018-8-20
Use props
Everton de Cast
lvl.1

Brazil

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-20 08:31
Hi, sorry that we're not selling any parts of our drone as we're not advising our customer to fix the drone because this process will lead to warranty avoidance, if may I ask where did you purchase the unit? Thank you.

It was bought by my boss on a trip to the USA. Will the warranty cover the repair of this accident? It was not my fault. In contact with DJI, they want them to ship the drone to the US, and it will take many months to reach the US and return to Brazil. They said they do not know if I'm going to have to pay. So I'm in a difficult situation, to bear all these costs. For me it would be easier and quicker to fix here. The problem is buying these parts. I'm thinking of buying all on ebay. but from the same seller.
2018-8-20
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am sorry but DJI will most likely not cover the repairs. This appears to be pilot neglect to inspect and care for the equipment. That battery did not swell like that in 1 flight... If you do get it fixed be sure and get some liability insurance also... you are going to hurt someone!
2018-8-21
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

dbparti024 Posted at 2018-8-20 11:51
Its been my experience to listen  for the "click" when installing the battery

Yes..But a battery that swells up in flight can easily "unclick" at least one side.
2018-8-21
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-8-21 03:02
I am sorry but DJI will most likely not cover the repairs. This appears to be pilot neglect to inspect and care for the equipment. That battery did not swell like that in 1 flight... If you do get it fixed be sure and get some liability insurance also... you are going to hurt someone!

2 out of my 3 batteries have swollen like that during a single flight of about 20 minute in length.
2018-8-21
Use props
Everton de Cast
lvl.1

Brazil

You're mistaken, buddy. There was no negligence, but it was the drone that failed. I even had upgraded the firmware one flight before. The drone crashed during the landing procedure, hung up and fell, then you say it was my fault? I tried to catch the air and realized that I had no battery. So I can only believe that the battery swelled to the point of release because it fell apart from the drone. The battery has about 30 cycles, not 1. I have 3 batteries and it was the third flight of the day. As the equipment failed, DJI should compensate me for the damages, but the shipping procedure becomes time consuming. Do not worry, I'll still make a youtube video with all the reporting and damages.
2018-8-21
Use props
Everton de Cast
lvl.1

Brazil

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-21 03:11
2 out of my 3 batteries have swollen like that during a single flight of about 20 minute in length.

According to Bob Brown, Mavic's batteries do not swell and it was his negligence. You are also dangerous and will hurt someone. But  
2018-8-21
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

All 3 of my batteries that have swollen have done so in one flight. Your statement is incorrect.
2018-8-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Everton de Cast Posted at 2018-8-20 15:52
It was bought by my boss on a trip to the USA. Will the warranty cover the repair of this accident? It was not my fault. In contact with DJI, they want them to ship the drone to the US, and it will take many months to reach the US and return to Brazil. They said they do not know if I'm going to have to pay. So I'm in a difficult situation, to bear all these costs. For me it would be easier and quicker to fix here. The problem is buying these parts. I'm thinking of buying all on ebay. but from the same seller.

Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply, if that drone will arrive at our facility it needs to have a diagnosis first before we can determine if this will be a warranty scenario or not, but I'm afraid that shipping cost will be more expensive as well even if the drone will be covered by warranty in any case. Please provide the SN of your aircraft via PM for further recommendation. Thank you for the support.
2018-8-21
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lithium batteries..... ION/POLY or otherwise can and DO just PUFF/ SWELL

And yes it happened to me with my original Inspire......perfect cycles, perfect charge, no puff prior to installing in AC.....8 min into the flight I heard crackling...came to land from 10ft up and 30ft out....but she shot straight up as to RTH.......but then complete disconnect and she fell.

Original A battery......2.5 years old with about 160 flights.  The battery was PUFFED and pushed out of the slot.

It can and does happen.  It happens to perfectly cared for batteries.  But SHOULD not happen to relatively new batteries.

Randy
2018-8-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules