My Mavic Pro's battery released itself during the flight.
5899 56 2018-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I stand corrected.
2018-8-21
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am NOT trying to correct anyone.......simply offer my first hand experience.

It was a sad day.......but to this day appreciate the time I had with my 1st I one V1

Now I have another one.......happy as a clam!!

Randy
2018-8-21
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-8-21 19:26
I am NOT trying to correct anyone.......simply offer my first hand experience.

It was a sad day.......but to this day appreciate the time I had with my 1st I one V1

This is bad news. I have 3 batteries that I have well cared for and made sure not to overcharge or use them when they are warm. I always cool them down and inspect before each flight. It sucks to know now that there is a chance that it could fall out of the sky mid-flight. Is this a defect worthy of a recall DJI? Sounds like a lawsuite waiting to happen.

Perhaps a certain batch of batteries manufactured in a spcific location need to be recalled? Or is this all batteries?
2018-8-22
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Why do people (mainly american) always go on about law suits immediately anything happens they dont like?!

Lithium batteries like specific conditions and have a limited, specific lifetime.  They're a consumable item.  Consumables are not going to be covered in any sort of warranty unless there's a product defect at time of manufacture.

Inspect your batteries before using and after using them.  More importantly is check for cell deviations on something like AirData which will give you a lot of warning that one is starting to fail internally.

I suspect there IS batch variation (my 2 fly more batteries swelling within a few cycles of each other vs my 1 original from a different batch still being fine) but its most likely issues are only now being seen because peoples mavics and batteries are starting to get old and used more.  It simply wouldnt have had the hours or cycles for trends to appear last year or before.
2018-8-22
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-8-17 16:45
I doubt it released itself, is the battery swolen? do you have any pix of it?
The MP battery snaps in there tight and if not pushed in all the way it can easily "snap" out.  Always make sure to push the battery all the way in until it snaps in place.

Howdy,

My Second Officer (Wife) was set to take off but we had a message that the battery was not seated correctly... Sure enough the RED marks were visible. Lucky it happened before take off
2018-8-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2018-8-22 03:28
Howdy,

My Second Officer (Wife) was set to take off but we had a message that the battery was not seated correctly... Sure enough the RED marks were visible. Lucky it happened before take off

The MP and the MPP did not have any red marks to visibly see if the battery is seated correctly.  Always and always double check your battery before take off, you don't necessarily need red marks to tell you if the battery is seated correctly.
2018-8-22
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have just replaced two of my original batteries which have swollen. They seemed to fly OK, but I don't want to take any risks, especially if they can force loose.
2018-8-22
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-8-22 06:21
The MP and the MPP did not have any red marks to visibly see if the battery is seated correctly.  Always and always double check your battery before take off, you don't necessarily need red marks to tell you if the battery is seated correctly.

My MP does, the latching device if not fully seated shows red
2018-8-23
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Mullheliflier Posted at 2018-8-22 06:34
I have just replaced two of my original batteries which have swollen. They seemed to fly OK, but I don't want to take any risks, especially if they can force loose.

Howdy,

How old were they ?

I have DSLR batteries that are years old and still work great, never had one swell... But seems to be a lot of these DJI batteries doing so and they are not cheap.
2018-8-23
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2018-8-23 02:19
Howdy,

How old were they ?

Coming up on 18 months.
2018-8-23
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

You'd kind of expect to see more "age" issues as time goes on with batteries and that seems to be the case.
Temperature also hits mine, every flight is 32c or above in direct sunlight and the batteries often hit the high 50s.
2018-8-23
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10368153 ft
Canada

Kingram Posted at 2018-8-17 17:42
Another reason not to fly during the hot summer months.

there was an extreme heat warning in NS this summer and I flew everyday even at high noon and also in the afternoon, never had any problems but mind you I was flying on the beaches where there is always a breeze coming off the ocean.
2018-8-23
Use props
Everton de Cast
lvl.1

Brazil

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-21 09:03
Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply, if that drone will arrive at our facility it needs to have a diagnosis first before we can determine if this will be a warranty scenario or not, but I'm afraid that shipping cost will be more expensive as well even if the drone will be covered by warranty in any case. Please provide the SN of your aircraft via PM for further recommendation. Thank you for the support.

done.
Thanks for the help.
2018-8-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for your cooperation. I already replied in regards to this concern. Please don't hesitate to reach us in any case you need our assistance. Thank you.
2018-8-26
Use props
Everton de Cast
lvl.1

Brazil

Hello guys. I replaced all the damaged parts (1 leg, flat cable and ptz), however the gimbal is showing the message "Gimbal motor overloaded". I suspected that the flat I bought was defective and bought another, but the same defect remains. I can only resolve this. If anyone knows of another solution I thank you.
2018-10-4
Use props
thunderbyrd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 241188 ft
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-8-21 03:02
I am sorry but DJI will most likely not cover the repairs. This appears to be pilot neglect to inspect and care for the equipment. That battery did not swell like that in 1 flight... If you do get it fixed be sure and get some liability insurance also... you are going to hurt someone!

Why would someone at DJI automatically blame it on pilot neglect?  And, why would someone at DJI throw out a guess and say they won't swell in one flight?  And, again how dare someone at DJI accuse anyone of being dangerous without knowing how and where the person flies.
Fact:  I have 3 DJI high capacity batteries (P4P) that have recently swollen within a week of each other with between 32 and 36 charges.  And yes, everyone of them have swollen on one flight each.  
Fact:  Mine wasn't pilot neglect either, I have taken care of them better than DJI instructs. Way better.
Fact: You don't know if he will hurt someone, you don't  know where he flies? or how he flies.  He may be like me in the fact that he flies over farm land and if the drone were to fall out of the sky the most that would get hurt is some grass or dirt.
Fact: There is definitely a problem with the DJI batteries, maybe in QC or in a particular batch but there is definitely a problem and it lies with DJI period.  It happens way too often to too many people.  Your post offended me, and others I'm sure because most people that I know take care of their drones and batteries according to DJI instructions. They cost alot of money and most people take care of them so they don't have to keep throwing money at them to keep them flying. Oh yeah, hopefully by now you have been replaced or at least have gone through intense training on dealing with customers. You were out of line.
2019-7-4
Use props
fans4fdbadf2
New

United States

I'm new to this forum but had to weigh in as I just recently had to replace my MP batteries. All 3 from the fly more combo are swollen on the underside making seating in the drone difficult and questionable. I am extremely careful with care for my MP and it's batteries and wonder why in a short period of time(less than 2 months) all 3 batteries have expanded? To be fair I'll add that all 3 batteries are 3 years old and have hundreds of flights on them but I circulate them all for equal use as part of my OCD attention to detail. Apparently I'll have to dispose of all 3 original batteries and just use the new 2 that I've ordered. $100/battery prohibits purchasing more. Does anyone know of any place offering a better price on OEM DJI Intelligent batteries for the MP? Thanks
2020-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules