CrystalSky not fit for purpose?
5089 17 2018-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Altitude Photos
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Here I am, with yet another CrystalSky problem effecting my ability to work and wondering why on Earth did I ever waste my money on these monitors.

You can see the latest problem I'm having in the video below, which means I have to use an iPhone or iPad as the pilot's screen if I want to be able to give the camera operator camera control or switch back to FPV, or in other words, yet AGAIN the CS fails to be able to do the most basic of tasks that it's surely designed to do?

These units aren't new anymore, yet they still repeatedly fail to perform all of the features that they should. They aren't after market 3rd party pieces of equipment I'm trying to butcher in to working with the DJI aircraft, they are DJI brand monitors, that should be better than using an after market device like an iPad.

On paper these screens sound perfect, but they miss the mark on so many points.

These are just some of the faults I've had with these devices since buying them:

1) Repeatedly locked up without warning, though this has improved, it still happens at times.
2) Worked on our M600, but not the second one when we bought it, despite it being an identical airframe set up, nope I had to wait 4 months for an update to finally fix that bug.
3) You perform an update on the A3, but you can't unlock the aircraft afterwards in the CS GO app, you have to plug an iPad in and unlock it with that instead.
4) If you want to use a slave LB2 controller, you need to connect to the master and enter a pin, but when you try to enter the pin number the keyboard covers the 'OK' button, so you can't press it, nor can you colapse the keyboard, so you have to connect an iPad instead.
5) I recently flew in a yellow zone, so had to log in and unlock it (a serious frustration for a professional company doing this for a living, but that's another issue), after also supplying a credit card number and having the zone unlocked, a message repeatedly kept coming up for me to click tick boxes to agree to the DJI terms and conditions etc. Everytime I cleared the tick boxes they were back in less than 5 seconds, so I couldn't press record on the camera or adjust settings etc.
6) The latests issue listed above, where I can't change camera settings via LB2 and an A3 without plugging in an iPad or iPhone again.

These screens are not fit for purpose and anyone that has been unfortunate enough to buy one should be offered compensation.
2018-8-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Surpised you can do that much with CrystalSky.   Based on my experience with CrystalSky it is under powered.  Based on 2D Graphics speed test, CS is about 1/3rd faster than old iPhone5s.  Maybe on par with Samsung S5.

Said it before.  Being CrystalSky is supposed to be a Professional product, designed for specific use - DJI should make a CrystalSky 2, and give every current owner of existing CrystalSkys a free upgrade.  Too many problems with CrytaslSky - screen failure, overheating, lack of processing power, and system freezing or hangs.

2018-8-17
Use props
Keule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-17 22:02
Surpised you can do that much with CrystalSky.   Based on my experience with CrystalSky it is under powered.  Based on 2D Graphics speed test, CS is about 1/3rd faster than old iPhone5s.  Maybe on par with Samsung S5.

Said it before.  Being CrystalSky is supposed to be a Professional product, designed for specific use - DJI should make a CrystalSky 2, and give every current owner of existing CrystalSkys a free upgrade.  Too many problems with CrytaslSky - screen failure, overheating, lack of processing power, and system freezing or hangs.

I am with you.
But before we get a free upgrade to a newer, more powerful CS2, hell freezes over.
If DJI would simply remove the encryption stuff around GO/GO4, then the CPU load would be much less and a couple of problems (not all) will disappear.
2018-8-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Keule Posted at 2018-8-18 00:03
I am with you.
But before we get a free upgrade to a newer, more powerful CS2, hell freezes over.
If DJI would simply remove the encryption stuff around GO/GO4, then the CPU load would be much less and a couple of problems (not all) will disappear.

If DJI would simply remove the encryption stuff around GO/GO4, then the CPU load would be much less

Not sure what DJI is using, but here is image showing impact of using App code protection.

Going by high end, 8% is not much of a CPU usage increase.  Would be in world of high performance computing, and would be all over that.  

But when it comes to dedicated device like CrystalSky specifically designed by DJI to run GO/GO-4 for professionals, 8% increase should be meaningless.  Which says to me 1 of 2 things:
1) CrystalSky was severely hamstrung (under powered) from the start
2) GO-4 has more problems than simply App code protection, as in GO-4 needs lots of optimization

What can be / is done:

Guess my overall point is - App code protection is absolutely no execuse for poor App performance, especially not on CrystalSky.

2018-8-18
Use props
Altitude Photos
lvl.3
United Kingdom

It strikes me that the Apps just don't work properly on the CrystalSky, it's really that simple. I'm forever having to plug my iPhone or iPad in to do so many things, hence my point that these monitors aren't fit for purpose. They just don't do what they are designed to do.

On paper they sound good, the brightness and replaceable batteries is what I need to work professionally. Phones and tablets on top of my controllers are not professional, nor workable as I can't see the screen on a sunny day or once the battery goes flat etc and I can't change the battery.

I also find it so weird that they didn't put an HDMI in on the screen considering how many Ronin gimbals they sell, as they could be selling screens to these clients as well. It's like nobody really put the effort in when these were designed.
2018-8-20
Use props
dan_vector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 613753 ft
Thailand

+1 and with the serious design/poor quality of the backlight on the 7.85 ultra bright you really do have to be clinically insane to buy one!! An iPad mini 4 is simply a much better option (just wish it was brighter).
2018-8-21
Use props
dan_vector
lvl.4
Thailand

I regret ever buying my 7.85 ultra. I've pretty much given up on DJI. My inspire 2 has never worked properly from day 1 and all I get from DJI is that it is within design tolerances!!
2018-8-21
Use props
Altitude Photos
lvl.3
United Kingdom

No response to the fault from DJI which is a shame.
2018-8-23
Use props
dan_vector
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Altitude Photos Posted at 2018-8-23 03:24
No response to the fault from DJI which is a shame.

Same Same. DJI's head is in the sand whenever there are clear product defects and quality issues. They will never admit there is an issue because then they'd need to fix it under warranty - they'll never do it.
2018-8-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Altitude Photos, sorry for the late response as I just read your comment on another post. Regarding the issue in the video, may I have the current CS version and APP version? I'd like to forward to our engineers for analysis.
As for the prompted boxes, please try to clean the cache and check whether the issue remains.
I understand your frustration, please believe that DJI would love to provide more chances and amazing experiences for more people to explore the world with our products. We do encounter lots of obstacles and difficulties during this period, our engineers are still optimizing the user experience in the future, hope for your understanding. We appreciate your feedback.
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

dan_vector Posted at 2018-8-23 08:29
Same Same. DJI's head is in the sand whenever there are clear product defects and quality issues. They will never admit there is an issue because then they'd need to fix it under warranty - they'll never do it.

Hi dan_vector, I've read your previous comments and very sorry for the inconvenience. Currently, the recommended temperature of CS is 20℃ to 40℃ (-4℉ to 104℉), we'll release on our website if there is an update. In case the unit fails under warranty period, we'll offer you a proper solution according to the damage assessment, thanks for your understanding.
2018-8-25
Use props
dan_vector
lvl.4
United Arab Emirates

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-8-25 00:23
Hi dan_vector, I've read your previous comments and very sorry for the inconvenience. Currently, the recommended temperature of CS is 20℃ to 40℃ (-4℉ to 104℉), we'll release on our website if there is an update. In case the unit fails under warranty period, we'll offer you a proper solution according to the damage assessment, thanks for your understanding.

DJI Susan, that it not the point of my post. At the end of the day I know that DJI would change a unit under warranty but the issue with the Ultra Bright Crystal Sky is one of very poor quality and bad design. What I meant in my post it that ALL CS UB units should be recalled and replaced with a redesigned unit which can do what it is designed to do without the back light failing.
This is DJI's stance on all products which have defects such as the I2 and the CS UB - you will not conduct a product recall to fix the issues you know about. Apparently these defects are all within 'design specifications'. :ROLLEYES:
2018-8-26
Use props
Altitude Photos
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-8-25 00:10
Hi Altitude Photos, sorry for the late response as I just read your comment on another post. Regarding the issue in the video, may I have the current CS version and APP version? I'd like to forward to our engineers for analysis.
As for the prompted boxes, please try to clean the cache and check whether the issue remains.
I understand your frustration, please believe that DJI would love to provide more chances and amazing experiences for more people to explore the world with our products. We do encounter lots of obstacles and difficulties during this period, our engineers are still optimizing the user experience in the future, hope for your understanding. We appreciate yoru feedback.

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your reply, here are the firmware details etc:

DJI Crystal Sky - V02.06.06.00
App - 3.1.38
Version - 1.7.1.5
Lightbridge 2 - 1.1.60
A3 Basic Fly Safe Database - 01.00.01.07

The CS work on my M600s now, as well as an Inspire, but not on the S900 with A3 and LB2.

My frustration with DJI at the moment is that I have had these monitors nearly a year and they still don't work fully, they are still full or bugs. I have reported most of these bugs before, but they still aren't being fixed.

These monitors are NOT fit for purpose, as they don't do the job they are designed for, they don't work with all of the systems they are supposed to. As mentioned this has been nearly a year now and they aren't fully usable. At what point will DJI acknowledge that these monitors are a problem?
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

dan_vector Posted at 2018-8-26 23:34
DJI Susan, that it not the point of my post. At the end of the day I know that DJI would change a unit under warranty but the issue with the Ultra Bright Crystal Sky is one of very poor quality and bad design. What I meant in my post it that ALL CS UB units should be recalled and replaced with a redesigned unit which can do what it is designed to do without the back light failing.
This is DJI's stance on all products which have defects such as the I2 and the CS UB - you will not conduct a product recall to fix the issues you know about. Apparently these defects are all within 'design specifications'. :ROLLEYES:

We're keeping optimizing temperature control logic to improve the CrystalSky's performance. If you experienced the backlight failing, please kindly provide us with the case number for further assistance, thanks!

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/C ... e_Notes_EN_0525.pdf
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Altitude Photos Posted at 2018-8-27 13:16
Hi Susan,

Thanks for your reply, here are the firmware details etc:

Received with thanks! I'll forward to our engineers to check.
2018-8-28
Use props
djiuser_Hc8xGPn7Q0Me
lvl.2
Flight distance : 673858 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-8-28 23:01
We're keeping optimizing temperature control logic to improve the CrystalSky's performance. If you experienced the backlight failing, please kindly provide us with the case number for further assistance, thanks!

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/CrystalSky/20180525/CrystalSky_Release_Notes_EN_0525.pdf

Hi DJI Susan,

I also have been looking for a better solution to needing to use my old iPad mini while flying my Mavic Mini and Mavic Pro Platinum and Mavic Air 2.  After doing some light research and reading through the forums I am now regretting having bought DJI RE Goggles and CS if I wont be able to use them with all of my products.

Since this is a CS thread, I will say that I am leaning towards not even opening the box when it arrives and simply returning the device to avoid all of these headaches I am reading about.

My question is:  will I be able to use my CS for anything other than my Mavic Pro Platinum?  Why is there a dedicated screen made for both consumer and professional drones if it doesnt work for all?  However disappointing, it really seems like an iPad Mini is the best solution to all our problems.  
2020-5-5
Use props
jazzyjeff
lvl.4
United States

Did any of you guys ever get a remedy to this problem or was it a case of you got it "So sorry, our engineers are working on it, we will get back to you", then they never come up with a solution. If they don't answer, it goes away in their eyes. Problem solved!
2020-5-17
Use props
mrbill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 717100 ft
United Kingdom

Flew for a UK Broadcaster yesterday after upgrading to the latest firmware - what a disaster. No maps available to fly Litchi waypoint missions (even after trying to cache them on location using personal hot spot), awful image transmission from drone to tablet (dropped frames, random color changes and strange blur artefacts) and just general bugginess. What a change from the brilliant tablet of a few weeks ago. Is there ANY chance of a successful software roll back?
2020-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules