Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro Near Miss With Helicopter
542 6 2018-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pappy3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Just saw this in my Google news feed. FAA reallly needs to get it's act together and put in regs to separate drones from manned aircraft. It looks to me like both were below 400 feet.

Near-miss video shows risk of flying drones in busy airspace as helicopter suddenly appears out of nowhere
2018-8-17
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

That was a scary encounter. I would of thought the helicopters air turbulence would of taken down the little MPP.

FAA rule for helicopters I believe is: An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
They forgot to add Mavic  to the rule.
2018-8-17
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Would there be much difference between a Mavic Pro and a bird strike?

https://www.quora.com/What-would ... fered-a-bird-strike

2018-8-17
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have used Google Earth on my phone to try to reproduce more or less the same location as the drone to maybe have an idea of how high the pilot was really flying. I found that the drone might have been flying just a bit higher than 400'. Im pretty sure my location is not really exact and its only a good guess. I used a few reference points which I "color coded" just to show my guides. The building with the green X is missing in Google Earth app, its probably new or simply the app has not updated it yet.
I still think choppers should not be flying that low knowing that there are so many drones around these days. Since they're so easy to fly, they have become extremely popular and everyone's doing it! Unfortunately, not all understand the responsibility that comes with flying these machines.
20180817_224518.jpg
2018-8-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Wow that was really close.
2018-8-17
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Too close for comfort. Not sure who is at fault here but I imagine the MP would have come out on the losing end of that encounter.
2018-8-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Like to see what FAA has to say in their final report.
2018-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules