Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Pan wobble
4018 18 2018-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rotorshawn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10823 ft
  • >>>

Is anyone else expericning some unwanted "pan" wobble?.  If I use my Ronin-S and point striaght forward (upright or low mode), I get a pan wobble..   I don't have this with my original Ronin or my MX.  I have upgraded, then downgraded to each available firmware and cannot get it to stop the wobble.   Shooting with a Sony a6300 with a Sigma Art 18-35 lense and MC-11 EF-E mount.  
Any ideas?
2018-8-18
Use props
Rotorshawn
lvl.2
  • >>>

It also does it while holding the front trigger (lock mode)
2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft

Hi Rotorshawn, sorry to read on this, did you try the system calibration and the Joystick calibration to see if the issue persists?
2018-8-20
Use props
Blake.oliver
lvl.1

United States

Mine does the same thing and I have reset everything multiple times.
2018-8-20
Use props
Rotorshawn
lvl.2
  • >>>

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-20 00:55
Hi Rotorshawn, sorry to read on this, did you try the system calibration and the Joystick calibration to see if the issue persists?

I've reset multiple times, tried every firmware upgrade & downgrade, and system calibration..  I've never seen a joystick calibration but I'll look for it...
2018-8-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator

Rotorshawn@yahoo.com Posted at 2018-8-20 05:57
I've reset multiple times, tried every firmware upgrade & downgrade, and system calibration..  I've never seen a joystick calibration but I'll look for it...

Please press the Trigger button four times and hold to begin the Joystick Calibration to see if it helps, thank you. GTScreenshot_20180821_200940.png
2018-8-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator

Blake.oliver Posted at 2018-8-20 04:08
Mine does the same thing and I have reset everything multiple times.

Hi Blake, sorry to know you have the same issue, did you run the latest firmware? What camera are you using? Is the gimbal balanced properly? If the issue persists after calibrating everything, please show us a short video so that we can escalate the issue to our engineers for further support, thank you.
2018-8-21
Use props
fansd0e89e57
New
United States

Can anyone PLEASE help me with this....per my video here on youtube, the ronin-s wobbles when I turn my wrist (pan mode problem). i am running firmware 1.4 and it is still a problem thanks:
2018-9-7
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rotorshawn, when the Ronin is totally powered down, if you rotate the pan, does it moved oddly?  As an analogy, Mine almost feels like there are small "hills" inside the mechanism, so when I give it a push and it is slowing to a stop, it rocks back and forth as if it is riding over the top of a small hill, then it finally rests in the "valley" between the "hills".   I would have imagined the motion would be totally smooth as it spins on the pan connection, but it is absolutely not smooth, it spins erratically and rocks to a stop.
If I rotate the pan slowly, (again, with the ronin completely powered down) I can feel resistance as the mechanism "rides up a hill", then once on top, the pan will pick up speed as it goes down the other "slope" until it rocks back and forth in the valley.  ... does that make sense?
2018-9-8
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2166962 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mine is mechanical „free“ but also wobbles in the pan axis and also shows the effect in tilts.
For me this is a problem of the algorithms.
2018-9-8
Use props
Pauxier
First Officer
Flight distance : 1213238 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think I had this too. Auto tune seemed to take care of it for me
2018-9-8
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting, seems really only to be a pan wobble, tilt seems to be ok here!
I also don‘t like the overshoot I have very often, means I stop the motion of the grip in pan direction but the gimbal accelerates a bit before deaccelerating after that.
2018-9-9
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did some more shots today with many slow pans but I must realize that this thing is actually worthless for that - all of my pans look visible chopping. Hope DJI fixes this very soon since it seems to be the best hardware these days, unluckily with a „non“ working software.
2018-9-10
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok, found something: I mostly had changing pan speed while doing (slow) pans. Especially in the end of the pan when I reduced the panspeed of the grip near zero the pan speed became slower, but short before the end accelerated and finally stopped.

That looks very BAD in the videos, makes them unusable!

I played with the Smooth Track
parameters but without success.

Then I went to the motor parameters and in advanced settings I found that „Strenght“ is only exact half the value for pan as for tilt.
Maybe that‘s due to internal scaling, but increasing the strenght factor for pan to the same of tilt improved the panning behavior enormous!! I guess there is still something wrong with the resulting Autotune parameters.
Maybe there is a reason, but why should „a brick“ or a camera that is perfectly balanced in pan as tilt axis give totally different results in motor parameters for these axises - especially when the motors seem to be the same!??

Maybe check and test this, try same parameters for pan as tilt axis.
For me I even doubled the pan value by the tilt value and it works even better. To large values worses things.

BTW I used Sony a7M3 with 24-105 4G at 105mm.
Strengt from Autotune Mid was 10 for pan and 20 for tilt. Now I‘m on 40 pan and 20 tilt. Will see if this proves to be „ideal“ for me...
2018-9-10
Use props
adamroper
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30135 ft
Japan

I noticed some jumpiness/jitter in my footage when I set the joystick max speed to be very slow for pan and off for tilt, placed the gimbal on a tripod, and tried to do smooth panning shots. I used the app via Bluetooth and I used the joystick. None of the footage was usable...
2018-9-12
Use props
fansc86b885c
lvl.1
Netherlands

latest firmware really messes up how pan reacts to movement of the gimbal. I mean yippeee that the balance test now shows 'excellent' on all 3 axises, but this is just crap in operation. Really regret I updated and almost completely messed up my shots of a shoot yesterday. Will downgrade to the second last firmware.
2018-9-12
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What about increasing your pan motor strength parameters?
This helped for alot for me!!
Unluckily the Autotune doesn‘t give pleasing results, but after manual increase this really looks good!!
2018-9-12
Use props
fans1a895257
New

Romania

I think you’re mistaking balance calibration with smooth track control. You have to experiment with all the parameters, motor stiffness and strength and speed deadband and sensitivity for motion smoothness. I used to think ronin s is bad till i really took the time to understand the settings.
2018-12-13
Use props
Paulooodomingo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18973 ft
Philippines

Hello, I’m also having a problem with my Ronin s in upright position or underslung position.

When gliding in normal position, I can get very nice footages, but when in underslung mode all my footages become shaky or wobbly.

I also notice that the pan motor and roll motor becomes weak when I turn in underslung mode even if the stiffness is adjusted to higher number. It seems that when I slightly touch it, it will cause some wave effect or wobbly effect and I can easily push the pan motor in small certain degree compare to a normal position which is so stiff even at low settings.

Is there any settings that i can access the pan and roll in low mode? I’m very nervous right now since its new and I don’t have any extra gimbal and I’m having an event shoot this coming Sunday.

I’ve been a Ronin user since 2017, I started with Ronin MX and i didn’t have any problem with that gimbal, I’ve been getting a lot of a good shot, and I switched to Ronin S so that I can carry it easily in wedding events.

PS.
Ronin S is updated and calibrated and tuned well in normal position and the wobbly footage is just my concern.

My camera is a7iii but did a test with different cam, a6300 and a7ii and still have the same wobbly footage also it does get worse on 35mm and Up lenses.
2019-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules