Tablet for mavic pro
2226 18 2018-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansad16907e
lvl.1
United States

What is the best  tablet to buy for the mavic pro and go 4?
2018-8-18
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I think the new Samsung Tab4, it is Super-Amoled Snapdragon 835 and 4 GB RAM.
2018-8-18
Use props
fansad16907e
lvl.1
United States

Thanks I will check into it
2018-8-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>

I've used the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8" version successfully. It just fits into the controller jaws when they're fully open.
2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. I highly recommend you use a compatible tablet to your Mavic Pro for reliability purposes. Please see the attached image below for reference. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.

2018-8-18
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

IPad mini 4
2018-8-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

iPad mini 2 wifi version.
2018-8-18
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-8-18 15:03
I've used the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8" version successfully. It just fits into the controller jaws when they're fully open.

How did you manage to get your s2 to work? Lots of people have tried this tablet without much success
The main reason i ask is because i have been trying to get mine going for ages it used to be on the compatability list but obviously no longer.
When i bought mine it worked great for a grand total of 2 weeks, then of course dji decided to update the dji go 4 app and has never worked since.
2018-8-18
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

iPad mini 4 is the way to go. I have Android also.. get the iPad.
2018-8-18
Use props
fansad16907e
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the help!
2018-8-18
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft

iPad mini 4 works the best.
2018-8-18
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-8-18 15:16
Hello there, I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. I highly recommend you use a compatible tablet to your Mavic Pro for reliability purposes. Please see the attached image below for reference. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.

[view_image]

The iPad pro is the most advanced iOS device. Its not listed. Is it compatible? Was thinking of buying the 10.5 inch version
2018-8-18
Use props
Jannistmb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 516161 ft
  • >>>

ipad mini 4 easy.
2018-8-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-8-18 16:09
How did you manage to get your s2 to work? Lots of people have tried this tablet without much success
The main reason i ask is because i have been trying to get mine going for ages it used to be on the compatability list but obviously no longer.
When i bought mine it worked great for a grand total of 2 weeks, then of course dji decided to update the dji go 4 app and has never worked since.

I received a tip to connect the controller to the tablet (via the USB slot on the underside of the controller) last of all. That's to say, when the tablet, and RC are fired up and DJIGo4 is running - with RNDIS protocol in developer mode. Hey Presto!  It worked.
I haven't updated the tablet to the latest Android O/S by the way - still on Nougat.
2018-8-19
Use props
bernardren07
Second Officer
Flight distance : 48504 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

For me i have 3 tablets. Ipad pro 10.5, ipad mini 4 and lenovo tab4 8 plus. all no problem.
2018-8-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

TrevorSK Posted at 2018-8-18 18:16
The iPad pro is the most advanced iOS device. Its not listed. Is it compatible? Was thinking of buying the 10.5 inch version

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Actually, there is a possibility that it will work, however, since it's not yet optimized with our application we cannot guarantee the stability of the application if this will work all the time while using the specific mobile device. We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on our website to avoid any problem. Thank you.
2018-8-20
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-8-20 07:37
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Actually, there is a possibility that it will work, however, since it's not yet optimized with our application we cannot guarantee the stability of the application if this will work all the time while using the specific mobile device. We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on our website to avoid any problem. Thank you.

You guys really need to update your website then. Many of those devices are not doing well with Go4.
2018-8-20
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

Depends on what you need in a tablet, your location, and other usage questions.

I fly with Android and iOS. I have too. iOS devices are not nearly as good in too hot or too cold of temps. I shoot many times in temps below 32 deg, or above 90 F. Ipads tend to shut down, especially in mid day sun or cold days.

Brightest tablets going today are the Samsung Tab S3 820 series, and newer S4 (soon to be avail). Though neither are on DJI list, they are very powerful devices capable of handling Go4 provided the company app is not problematic. Same can go for iOS devices at times where it too was affected by an App update or iOS update itself. Device problems have come and gone in cycles, so you more or less deal with it. The last one really hurt the android devices for months. Latest updates seems to have remedied the issues. Here's hoping they leave it alone now.

For Screen Brightness and speed
Galaxy Tab S3-  720 nits     Amoled screen
Ipad Pro-            600 nits     LCD screen
Media Pad M5-  480 nits     LCD screen
Zenpad 10-         430 nits    LCD screen
Ipad Mini4          400 nits     LCD screen

Crystal Sky  5.5"    1000 nits
Crystal Sky  7.8"    2000 nits

Find a device with the faster cpus, more ram, so that going forward you have enough to be App update proof.

Many in the drone club here had been aggravated about the app for a while. It was hard and is still hard for many users, especially part time flyers, to have to run out and buy new devices to operate a single app. It's hard for many people to justify that are occasional hobby flyers. It's hard for some of those guys to find justification in buying something else besides their phone to operate that one app their device no longer was capable of. Not all in this hobby have deep pockets enough to toss another $800 on a new device. Explaining to their S.O can often be challenging enough  as may have told me.

That being said, DJI Go4 app requires heavy demand in resources from any device used for the flights and video transmission. In recent months, we had many guys buy newer devices and they experience the woes of Go4. They were very dissatisfied. Some bought $400 Mini4's, and found they too were limited or had issues in flight. Some bought $450 S3's for that amazing screen and found the latest app was not working. Either way, that is a lot of additional money to spend on a device for one single purpose.

Owning DJI products for a while and being with the drone club here in my area, most of us are aware of the ups and downs of updates, app changes. With that, the tablet or device you buy should be future proof in hardware spec. Try not to buy the bare minimum. That is what most suggest here in our club to new flyers.

If your device is not bright enough, you may need a sun shield. Not all devices work well in sunlight. I was in SC doing jobs and our Ipads would shut down. We had to have others to use. Another with a CS was experiencing issues of the Go4 app as well. Nothing is perfect, nothing will Always work 100% either. For some it does, for most it doesn't. That goes for devices ON the List as well as newer devices not listed as "optimized" and for the most part, I don't think they really optimize for all devices equally. They should because the more common devices are what most people buy, not devices approaching 3-4 years old that are rare and out of program for retail.

Do your homework. Plan on a device that suits your area. I've had guys that bought a Mini 4 under all the high rec's from others that go to vacation and find they can only fly early in the morning. Any other time of day their device shuts off. It happens. Then they are explaining to their S.O as their S.O is rolling their eyes thinking "and we spend $1000 on a drone, and as much as $700 on a tablet and you can't fly it when it's warm outside" .. which of course adds to the frustration.

Next question I ask new flyers is : why are you considering a tablet if your phone device is better suited? I've seen this a bunch of times. A guy buys a $300 tablet when he has a Note 8 or Iphone 9 or X. That tablet is not as bright, not as powerful in many cases. More times than not, the tablet is right on the border spec wise as to whether it can handle Go4 or not. Tablets are not always as convenient either. Some devices won't fit in the RC, and will require tablet holders. Is that more convenient?

For vactioners, or part time hobby flyers, often times enough the phone device is just as good to use. Many are bright enough these days, some brighter than Crystal Sky, with faster cpu's and more ram. Recent devices like Note 9 are mega fast cpu and up to 8G ram. My last Note 8 had no issue at all with Go4, but my S3 adn Mini4 did until recent app updates that seemed to fix it.

TLDR version: Do your homework, ask yourself if you really need to buy a tablet when your phone is a much better suited option. Otherwise, find a tablet that is future proof. Do not buy the bare minimum spec device, or you may find you wasted several hundred dollars or more on something that doesn't work with the next app revision.
2018-8-20
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

TrevorSK Posted at 2018-8-18 18:16

We use the Ipad Pro here often. It's a great device. It is the most expensive as well, and for that price it is not always the best option.

I would recommend them more if they did not shut down as easily in extreme temps. On vacations, hot days the iPP will shut down often. Many here had their iPP shut down on them mid flight. It sucks, and it happens. That's just the system protecting it's hardware. Most can accommodate by shading, but most times it's the temps themselves and not even the direct heat to the device that kills it. Some have been luckier than others. Same goes for Ipad Mini4, and even Android devices.  Samsung devices we have used like the S3 are troopers in the heat or freezing temps. We'll get through a few batteries of flights before it prompts us to relocate the device out of the temps. When it does, you still have a couple minutes to react or even start a RTH. On other devices, they can prompt, and immediately shut down.

Problematic for some flyers on vacations not with a ton of experience. RC and MP or other drone are often still connected. The device shutting down typically will not trigger RTH. Panic sets in for many, time ticks, and there may not be enough battery (depending on user settings) to RTH. If that flyer is out a ways coming back into a headwind, his drone may decide to land at the most inopportune time. They end up at sea, on a roof somewhere or in a less than convenient spot for recovery.
2018-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules