4611 89 2018-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-8-19 17:04
That definatly shut people up yes lol.
Looks like  a user error to me by not going through a pre flight checkist and checking that all props are secured in place properly before flight but you may have a case to put forward to dji. if youve already had it repaired by a third party repairer then im not sure if your covered under warranty.
Did you actually read the manual before flying?

Looks like  a user error to me by not going through a pre flight  checkist and checking that all props are secured in place properly  before flight

Lets be a little fair here.  

If Prop still had one lock tab holding it, and being hub of prop goes over motor shaft, there would be little indication of a problem.  Chances are a normal Prop check for lock and looseness would pass.  Person would have to be taking their drone's Props off after every flight, inspecting Props and rotor hubs, reinstalling Props, then doing a normal Prop check for looseness.  Or person would have to put some torque and pull-up on their props when checking, which could be enough to lead to damage.

2018-8-19
Use props
Fetish636
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1841 ft

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-8-19 17:04
That definatly shut people up yes lol.
Looks like  a user error to me by not going through a pre flight checkist and checking that all props are secured in place properly before flight but you may have a case to put forward to dji. if youve already had it repaired by a third party repairer then im not sure if your covered under warranty.
Did you actually read the manual before flying?

and jesus christ it's spelled rookie... genius
2018-8-19
Use props
Fetish636
lvl.2

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-19 17:34
Looks like  a user error to me by not going through a pre flight  checkist and checking that all props are secured in place properly  before flight

Lets be a little fair here.  

thank you!  that's exactly what i gave Ben trying to explain!!
2018-8-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Fetish636 Posted at 2018-8-19 17:33
yes I read everything watched videos for a month while I decided what one I was going to buy,  I have had 6-7 other hobby grade drones just never this expensive of one,  mostly blades and a walkera...  I know for a fact the prongs broke off mid flight,  the blade shows that Its just going to be hard to prove,    christ I feel like I'm in court.. guilty till proven innocent  ffs....

christ I feel like I'm in court.. guilty till proven innocent  ffs....

Welcome to DJI Forums!
AKA - Let the inquisition begin

2018-8-19
Use props
Fetish636
lvl.2

Fetish636 Posted at 2018-8-19 17:39
thank you!  that's exactly what i gave Ben trying to explain!!

have been.....  god damn auto correct with Samsung makes you talk like a drunk.....
2018-8-19
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Like i said i wasnt trying to have a go at the op im just trying to look at what i see in the video.
As mentioned he may have a case to put to dji but will need to send the drone and the faulty prop in for inspection.
Under most circumstances that ive seen in many years flying drones this normally only happens when the prop is not installed correctly.
Im not judging the op im just stating what i see as the most likely cause for this type of failure.
2018-8-19
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Fetish if your going to be nasty to every person trying to help then good luck with that.
I was just trying to look at this situation from a non objective point of view and give a reasonable explanation as to what may have happened.
You can accept this or not i dont really care either way its your drone.
Have fun
2018-8-19
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

I don't know, but after reading all of these obnoxious posts, the only thing that comes to mind is Karma.
2018-8-19
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Looks to me like the prop came off due to no error of the pilot.  I'm sure when checking the props pre-flight most people do not take them right off but only check for any play and tightness along with visual check for damage.  This should be covered by DJI warranty but I suspect it will not be just because there is no way to know if it was installed incorrectly by DJI or the OP, or even if the prop failure was due to the installation.   The OP says he never removed the prop and I have no reason to not believe him because his video did support what he said happened even when many here didn't seem to believe him.  
2018-8-20
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Sorry for your loss. I hope you get it solved in a good and not to costly way.

It's hard to tell what happend, I don't think you flew into something cause you are above the tree.
I think all the way up and when you hover it looks steady to me, the props seem to be OK from the start I would say.
It looks so destroyed on your photos like it have been through some serious damage.

It have happend before, that you get a "small detail" with a fault, in this case the results is so hard since the props are so crusiail.

Once again good luck and hope you will be airborne again soon
2018-8-20
Use props
Fetish636
lvl.2

Flybee Posted at 2018-8-20 10:03
Sorry for your loss. I hope you get it solved in a good and not to costly way.

It's hard to tell what happend, I don't think you flew into something cause you are above the tree.

thank you,  i cut the 3 minute video just to before the crash,  it was about 10 feet from the tree hovering and just dropped, i have the whole 3 minute video but it's boring mostly hovering and looking at the settings and camera,  since it was my first flight i was trying to get used to some of the settings...  i do have the dji refresh but im hoping they look into it and not use the refresh service... but thanks for the kind words,  have a great day!
2018-8-20
Use props
Fetish636
lvl.2

Far_North Posted at 2018-8-20 09:39
Looks to me like the prop came off due to no error of the pilot.  I'm sure when checking the props pre-flight most people do not take them right off but only check for any play and tightness along with visual check for damage.  This should be covered by DJI warranty but I suspect it will not be just because there is no way to know if it was installed incorrectly by DJI or the OP, or even if the prop failure was due to the installation.   The OP says he never removed the prop and I have no reason to not believe him because his video did support what he said happened even when many here didn't seem to believe him.

thank you, I'm hoping they look at all the evidence and come to the same conclusion,  i did buy the refresh service but i hope not to use it for this... the blade prongs look to have broke off flight and caused the crash,  I'm going to be very gun shy when i do get it back... i can tell already in going to be very very nervous.... i might even just sell it,  and go back to the cheap blade drones... but im not sure yet what il do...
2018-8-20
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

The video does look like legit aircraft failure.   OP, sorry for your loss and hope that you find a satisfactory resolution to this.
2018-8-20
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Yeah next time I would bring it up to 4 ft over GRASS and let it hover for awhile and maybe move it side to side just to be safe , a soccer field would be a great place to test it out.
Good luck and i hope DJI takes care of this for you.
2018-8-20
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Fetish636 Posted at 2018-8-20 10:21
thank you,  i cut the 3 minute video just to before the crash,  it was about 10 feet from the tree hovering and just dropped, i have the whole 3 minute video but it's boring mostly hovering and looking at the settings and camera,  since it was my first flight i was trying to get used to some of the settings...  i do have the dji refresh but im hoping they look into it and not use the refresh service... but thanks for the kind words,  have a great day!

If you have the Refresh service as a backup ie it will be a warranty issue or not I think you should keep it anyway, It's so much fun. Have had mine since early 2107 and it is a fantastic piece of machine. I think you were very unfortunate.

I guess you will check the props for the rest of your life after this, No offence ment.

Likewise
2018-8-20
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

I am on your side, looks like a just a prop failure.  You need to open a case with DJI and forward upload your logs and video.
2018-8-20
Use props
Fetish636
lvl.2
United States

Kingram Posted at 2018-8-20 10:33
Yeah next time I would bring it up to 4 ft over GRASS and let it hover for awhile and maybe move it side to side just to be safe , a soccer field would be a great place to test it out.
Good luck and i hope DJI takes care of this for you.

absolutely!  i should have done that in the first place,  i was so excited to finally have it i guess i got ahead of myself,  the video didn't have the first 2 minutes of just hovering over the driveway camera pointing at me trying to figure out the camera settings lol,  it was very boring i then turned the drone and slowly climbed while trying to adjust the gimbal lol
2018-8-20
Use props
sica
Second Officer
Flight distance : 679 ft
Israel

Sad and sorry about the accident. But a change in firmware would help in such situations. Studying the flight physics at the quadcopter drone, when a propeller gives off ... and at that point the flight controller would instantly stop the opposite propeller in the diagonal and accelerate the two the remaining propellers would lead to a flat, light crash, and it does not last like a '' boulder dropped out of the sky '' causing much smaller damage may even go wrong! And theoretically and practically this solution would help. Only DJI engineers think and practice using just a software change
2018-8-20
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good luck getting it repaired. It may help to create a check list for future flying. Don’t be put off. We all learn from these experiences whether it is a failure or something we have done. Good advice above about keeping it low until you gain your confidence again.
2018-8-20
Use props
Fetish636
lvl.2

well I got it packed up and sent off to dji Texas,  I'll keep you posted on the situation, at least now il have plenty of time to research everything,  I'm guessing about a month till I see it again,  I sent everything I had,  logs, videos, pictures,  thanks to everyone who commented,  I appreciate the advice,  positive or negative..  safe flying everyone!
2018-8-21
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Fetish636 Posted at 2018-8-21 09:27
well I got it packed up and sent off to dji Texas,  I'll keep you posted on the situation, at least now il have plenty of time to research everything,  I'm guessing about a month till I see it again,  I sent everything I had,  logs, videos, pictures,  thanks to everyone who commented,  I appreciate the advice,  positive or negative..  safe flying everyone!

Good luck man!
2018-8-21
Use props
Fetish636
lvl.2

just finally heard back from dji!  they are covering our under warranty!  that makes me very happy!  cause I couldn't wait to get back so I bought a spark this weekend as well! lol the spark is very cool but I can't wait to get my mavic back!  thanks everyone!
2018-8-27
Use props
fans34c91fb6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

Fetish636 Posted at 2018-8-27 12:01
just finally heard back from dji!  they are covering our under warranty!  that makes me very happy!  cause I couldn't wait to get back so I bought a spark this weekend as well! lol the spark is very cool but I can't wait to get my mavic back!  thanks everyone!

Might be time for insurance!
2018-8-27
Use props
Fetish636
lvl.2

fans34c91fb6 Posted at 2018-8-27 12:37
Might be time for insurance!

already have it! just didn't think i should have used it for a malfunction
2018-8-27
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Fetish636 Posted at 2018-8-27 14:35
already have it! just didn't think i should have used it for a malfunction

Right ON  

Happy to see this thread straighten out......got a little tough there for a bit.

Happy Flying!!

Randy
2018-8-27
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

I know he's getting it replaced under the DJI replacement program but wouldn't the flight logs show the prop motor rpm's at  a bazillion rpm's if the prop came off. Second question, would losing one prop make it go that unstable that quickly? I would have thought that the other 3 would try (unsuccessfully of course) to compensate but  would be not quite as quick to tumble.  Still, are we going to see the results of the flight log? I'm still curious.
oh and congrats on getting a replacement.
2018-8-27
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Definitely did not hit anything.  I think you may have a case.  Jeez I better check mine!
2018-8-27
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Glad to see you got this one sorted out.
2018-8-27
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

wow what an adventure unlucky you!
2018-8-27
Use props
Rob Weeks 9
lvl.2

United States

What a horrible way for a first flight to go. "Look im doing it, Im flying...……….smash!" Im glad you got it worked out man.

*I normally fly up to about 8-10 feet off the ground at first, than hit it hard left to right and back and forth a few times to check for prop failures before I fly a high altitude or distance. I fly a phantom but it may work well for you too.  Happy Flying!
2018-8-27
Use props
Duncandonut
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2139291 ft
United Kingdom

WOW, so many negative replies. I mean come on, can everyone of us say the they 100% do every pre-flight check before we fly ? I know I have flown without doing every single check before. Also let's remember that this is Fetish636 first flight and maybe they don't know all the pre-flights. Just think how you would feel if when you got your new Mavic 2 that it crashed after a 3 minute flight because, like a kid on Christmas morning your rushed to get it flying. We have all done it so please give the guy a break.
2018-8-27
Use props
Novadesigns
lvl.2

Glad you got it sorted out... definitely looks like the props failed... you were only hovering. Fortunately this sort of thing is rare. My Mavic Pro has been a great quad. I just got a Mavic 2 Pro and hope that it will be even more reliable.

Good luck!
2018-8-27
Use props
Dagdernit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 170039 ft

Is this the first Mavic Pro 2 to crash from non operator error?
2018-8-27
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Dagdernit Posted at 2018-8-27 21:15
Is this the first Mavic Pro 2 to crash from non operator error?

It was not a MP2.  It was MP1.
2018-8-27
Use props
Fetish636
lvl.2

Rob Weeks 9 Posted at 2018-8-27 20:44
What a horrible way for a first flight to go. "Look im doing it, Im flying...……….smash!" Im glad you got it worked out man.

*I normally fly up to about 8-10 feet off the ground at first, than hit it hard left to right and back and forth a few times to check for prop failures before I fly a high altitude or distance. I fly a phantom but it may work well for you too.  Happy Flying!

that's a dang great idea! im absolutely going to do that!  the said it fell from the sky due to blade failure the little clips broke and let it kinda slide out... im so glad i found that blade 3 hours later in the tree right in front of where it was just 5 feet lower....  
2018-8-27
Use props
Fetish636
lvl.2

Duncandonut Posted at 2018-8-27 20:56
WOW, so many negative replies. I mean come on, can everyone of us say the they 100% do every pre-flight check before we fly ? I know I have flown without doing every single check before. Also let's remember that this is Fetish636 first flight and maybe they don't know all the pre-flights. Just think how you would feel if when you got your new Mavic 2 that it crashed after a 3 minute flight because, like a kid on Christmas morning your rushed to get it flying. We have all done it so please give the guy a break.

thank you. it got a little hairy till i figured out how to post the video...  and to the person questioning the flight with 3 blades im saying definitely not... since i was the only one who witnessed the blade flying off and the drone literally raced to the ground like it was afraid of heights...  do not try to make it fly with 3....
2018-8-27
Use props
Fetish636
lvl.2

Easy Ed Posted at 2018-8-27 17:31
Had my doubts at first but watched the video over and over many times in slow motion/frame by frame and I did not see a bird strike, nor it hit the tree. Could tell all the damage in the one picture posted it came from it hitting the asphalt near the mailboxes when it came down at and was still running from watching the video. I took my Mavic and tried to see if it was possible to not lock that prop into place and take off, it is possible. In the video it looks as though the Mavic was starting to come down when it lost control, this may have caused the prop to "unscrew" due to change of direction from the Mavic and crash, just a thought. if it was shipped to you that way, well quality control effed up (I did look at my pictures from when I got mine and yes, the rear props are pre-assembled) . Yes, I know, preflight check list blah, blah, but when you are new and want to get into the air (and per the OP watched videos to learn from) you hope the money you spent on what you bought was "assembled" correctly.  Congrats on the proper outcome. Ed

i was just getting ready to come down and land not sure if i started to yet or not that was the last thing i remember thinking was i was done it works go inside and set the rest of it up..  all the camera settings and everything else
2018-8-27
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112123 ft
South Africa

Glad to see a positive outcome,  I must admit it did seem like a bit of sketchy story at first since the prop looked pretty well battered.

If I may I would suggest testing your replacement at low altitude in a clear open space before taking it up. If anything that will help you get used to the  controls and freedom to test out some of the features without worrying about obstacles like trees should anything go wrong.

Personally I'm not too surprised as I can't think of any company that has a 100% track record with products out if the factory.

P.s Welcome to the forums - sometimes a trial by fire as you might have noticed.
Have fun and fly safe.
2018-8-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch - hope you get a replacement soon!
2018-8-28
Use props
Fetish636
lvl.2

not sure if this will be readable but here is what thru sent me..  and already today thru said it was fixed im guessing they are sending a different one back.. the quote didn't inclose the case that was busted open on the drone or the camera that was split open not sure why but hey at this point I'm happy to get a new one or refurb one.. they both have the same warranty!  
Screenshot_20180828-104948_Photo Editor.jpg
20180828_105123.jpg
2018-8-28
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules