Mavic Pro 2 versus Phantom 4 Pro Specification
6082 15 2018-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

I think it's fair to say the elephant in the room is the Phantom 4 Pro! The soon to be released Mavic pro 2 and the improvements to the camera courtesy of the DJI partnership Hasseblad could mean the demise of the classic Dji Phantom form factor. The Mavic Pro 2 will have a very capable camera, technical capabilty in a addition to it's portability.
I'm sure there may be reason's that some pilots will continue choose a Phantom 4 Pro rather than a Mavic Pro 2 if the 1" sensor and zoom versions are launched as expected. I can't think of any reasons or have I missed something?
2018-8-20
Use props
Harbourside
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

But then when DJI announce the Phantom 5 Pro with interchangeable lenses and more processing power in January, the balance will be restored.
2018-8-20
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Harbourside Posted at 2018-8-20 12:16
But then when DJI announce the Phantom 5 Pro with interchangeable lenses and more processing power in January, the balance will be restored.

The Phantom Pro V2 has recently been updated therefore may come later. I agree that interchangeable lenses and improved processor would be a nice feature that would set it apart from the Mavic pro 2. I think the next Dji product in line for an update would be the Osmo fitted with the new Mavic Pro 2 cameras. It would be great if the zoom and 1" sensor camera were interchangeable with an Osmo. Product integration would be very bad for my wallet.
2018-8-20
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Harbourside Posted at 2018-8-20 12:16

Yep, I agree.  The tides will turn again.
2018-8-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. Please pay attention to our website for the updates and accurate information. Thank you for the interest.
2018-8-20
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Phantom still has variable aperture which doesnt seem to be claimed for mavic 2.
I'd guess a P5 will be announced this week in tandem with mavics otherwise they just destroyed the entire phantom market.
2018-8-20
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Perhaps, but a little early to write off the Phantom.  Lets wait to see what all the features and specs are on the new drone in a couple days.
2018-8-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

We still don't know if Hasselblad had any influence on the lens / camera system or DJI just put it's name on the spec list.
Would not be the first time they had nothing to do with the real output of the camera.
Just search for the Hasselblad Lunar.
Essentially a Sony Nex 7 (if I remember right) with a little bit of Hasselblad design on it.....
2018-8-21
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-8-21 06:42
We still don't know if Hasselblad had any influence on the lens / camera system or DJI just put it's name on the spec list.
Would not be the first time they had nothing to do with the real output of the camera.

Agreed. All is not what it seems when it comes to branding. That said any premium brand such as Hasselblad wouldn't allow their good reputation to be tarnished by lending their name to a poor product.
2018-8-21
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-8-21 06:42
We still don't know if Hasselblad had any influence on the lens / camera system or DJI just put it's name on the spec list.

Agreed. All is not what it seems when it comes to branding. That said any premium brand such as Hasselblad wouldn't allow their good reputation to be tarnished by lending their name to a poor product.
2018-8-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Celsus Posted at 2018-8-21 10:00

Think about the Nex7
That is a rather poor camera. (not at all like what HB is used to make)
So they have done just that in the past.
(putting their name on a poor camera'
2018-8-21
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

The Phantom series will stay, its a larger platform and will evolve to surpass the Mavic line. The Inspire series will also improve.
2018-8-21
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

The Phantom series will stay, its a larger platform and will evolve to surpass the Mavic line. The Inspire series will also improve.
2018-8-21
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
United Kingdom

dbparti024 Posted at 2018-8-21 10:20

I hope that is the case. We will all benefit If each new DJI product line makes a clear step change in terms of feature improvements.  
2018-8-21
Use props
rallysquirrel82
lvl.2
United States

At this point the Phantom 5 is going to have to basically be a mini-Inspire in order to justify the likely $2,000 range price tag. I think to justify that cost it will need retractable arms/legs and 360 degree camera viewing capability, longer battery life and the like. This is the reason I'm switching from the P4P to the Mavic 2 Pro, same if not better camera/image quality, much easier to transport and quicker set up time and much less than the likely price increase for the Phantom 5, will sure miss the P4P, it was my workhorse for past year and a half
2018-8-27
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
United Kingdom

rallysquirrel82 Posted at 2018-8-27 05:07
At this point the Phantom 5 is going to have to basically be a mini-Inspire in order to justify the likely $2,000 range price tag. I think to justify that cost it will need retractable arms/legs and 360 degree camera viewing capability, longer battery life and the like. This is the reason I'm switching from the P4P to the Mavic 2 Pro, same if not better camera/image quality, much easier to transport and quicker set up time and much less than the likely price increase for the Phantom 5, will sure miss the P4P, it was my workhorse for past year and a half

I think DJI are more likely to discontinue and merge products rather than  introduce minor improvements under the guise of a new model. I had a feeling the P4P would lose out to the Mavic Pro 2 hence the question. It would be sad to see the iconic Phantom platform come to a end if it was seen as surplus. A step change to the Phantom offering would start to chip away at the lower end of the Inspire 2/ camera market.
2018-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules