The mobile device's GPS weak iPad Mini 4
3131 24 2018-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325659 ft
United States

For a while now I get the error "The mobile device's GPS signal is weak and its location cannot be acquired" MOST of the time when I try and set the homepoint to the controllers location.  I never used to get this error.

I am using an iPad Mini 4, with AT&T and no SIM card (you do not need a sim card for GPS).  This has always worked in the past on this same iPad using the Go 4 App and I still get accurate location information in all other apps on the same iPad.  The iPad has GPS and other apps can use it whether or not Bluetooth or WiFi are on.  

About 9 out of 10 times the DJI Go 4 App will NOT set the home point to the controller and complains, about 1  in 10 times it works.  

I am in an area with a strong GPS signal and other apps get the accurate location on this same iPad Mini 4 at the same time that the DJI Go 4 app complains.

Is there something I can about this other than buying a different display device?

-Roger Uzun
2018-8-20
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello. We apologize for the inconvenience. Did you try to reinstall the app?
2018-8-21
Use props
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
United States

I uninstalled, rebooted, then re-installed the app.  It made no difference.  It still gives me "The mobile device's GPS signal is weak and its location cannot be acquired" when I try to set the home point to the controller.  It did ask me to redo permissions and I gave the app all permissions it requested.

2018-8-21
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's a weird message you are getting.
Setting of the home point has nothing to do with a device. You can also use a device without GPS.

The home point is recorded by the drone and forwarded to the Go app once it has aquired enough satellites.
2018-8-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansed5d1cc0 Posted at 2018-8-21 05:40
I uninstalled, rebooted, then re-installed the app.  It made no difference.  It still gives me "The mobile device's GPS signal is weak and its location cannot be acquired" when I try to set the home point to the controller.  It did ask me to redo permissions and I gave the app all permissions it requested.

Hi, could you please try to use different device? Also, can you please show us a screenshot of the error message you encountering right now? Thank you.
2018-8-21
Use props
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
United States

When you set the home point to the controllers location the GPS on the display device is used.  You are confusing setting the home point to the aircraft's location (generally not useful) with setting the home point to the controllers location.   

Obviously setting the home point to the controllers location cannot use the GPS on the aircraft.
2018-8-21
Use props
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
United States

This is NOT a new problem, and MANY people have it.   When I use my android phone it all works fine.  It used to be more reliable on the iPad but over time, many app updates and many iOS updates this no longer works reliably.  Occasionally it will set the home point to the controller location, maybe 1 in 10 tries at best.  The IPad mini 4 has cellular, and other apps display the location just fine on this same device.

The error appears in yellow text as you touch the Set Home Point to the Controller icon on the GPS screen, the text is exactly "The mobile device's GPS signal is weak and its location cannot be acquired"

Previous threads showing the problem include -
https://forum.dji.com/thread-118915-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-98121-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-89659-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-100214-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-102893-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-111966-1-1.html

2018-8-21
Use props
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
United States

I paid $2.99 for the app GPS Diagnostic on my iPad Mini 4 to check the GPS system on the device.  It shows it is working properly with an accuracy of +- 5M  There is a BUG in the DJI GO 4 APP WHERE IT IS ALWAYS DEMANDING MORE ACCURACY FROM THE GPS COORDINATES THAN THE iPad can give!

This used to work.  It can easily be seen on ANY iPad by just choosing to set the Home Point to the Controllers location!

Please fix this it has not worked for a while now!  THE GPS SYSTEM IS PRESENT AND IS WORKING PROPERLY ON MY iPAD MINI 4, yet the DJI GO 4 App complains that there is not enough accuracy to use the iPads GPS coordinates!!!!!!!

2018-8-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansed5d1cc0 Posted at 2018-8-21 18:08
I paid $2.99 for the app GPS Diagnostic on my iPad Mini 4 to check the GPS system on the device.  It shows it is working properly with an accuracy of +- 5M  There is a BUG in the DJI GO 4 APP WHERE IT IS ALWAYS DEMANDING MORE ACCURACY FROM THE GPS COORDINATES THAN THE iPad can give!

This used to work.  It can easily be seen on ANY iPad by just choosing to set the Home Point to the Controllers location!
THE GPS SYSTEM IS PRESENT AND IS WORKING PROPERLY ON MY iPAD MINI 4, yet the DJI GO 4 App complains that there is not enough accuracy to use the iPads GPS coordinates!!!!!!
Are you sure it's about accuracy?
In previous posts you said the message was :
The mobile device's GPS signal is weak and its location cannot be acquired
That says nothing about accuracy.
In other error messages when DJI say, weak GPS signal they usually mean no GPS signal.

There is a BUG in the DJI GO 4 APP WHERE IT IS ALWAYS DEMANDING MORE ACCURACY FROM THE GPS COORDINATES THAN THE iPad can give!

You are making unfounded assumptions there.
The app just needs a GPS location and the app has no way of knowing the accuracy of a GPS location.
Where did you get the idea about insufficient accuracy?

You are confusing setting the home point to the aircraft's location (generally not useful)
Why are you wanting to reset the home point to the location of the controller?
There are very few situations where this would be necessary and in most of those, it's just as good to use the Phantom's current location as the controller's.

2018-8-21
Use props
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
United States

I don't know the cause.  There is a problem with the DJI Go 4 app, its been covered in many many threads.  Obviously some people need to set the home point to the controllers location hence the feature in the app.   It's not like they removed that feature.  It works fine with an android phone.  The GPS in the apple iPad Mini 4 is working properly.  All other apps on this same iPad find and use the location correctly.

I don't know why the DJI go 4 app does not accept the iPads GPS coordinates.   The signal from the GPS is not weak, but the DJI go 4 app thinks that it is .  Using GPS diagnostic software shows that there is a strong GPS signal and the iPad's gps system is working properly.  Yet features in the DJI go 4 app that require GPS from the display device do not work reliably.

Please address this, I am not the only person with this issue as shown by the MULTIPLE threads detailing the same problem for MANY MANY months now.
2018-8-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansed5d1cc0 Posted at 2018-8-21 20:02
I don't know the cause.  There is a problem with the DJI Go 4 app, its been covered in many many threads.  Obviously some people need to set the home point to the controllers location hence the feature in the app.   It's not like they removed that feature.  It works fine with an android phone.  The GPS in the apple iPad Mini 4 is working properly.  All other apps on this same iPad find and use the location correctly.

I don't know why the DJI go 4 app does not accept the iPads GPS coordinates.   The signal from the GPS is not weak, but the DJI go 4 app thinks that it is .  Using GPS diagnostic software shows that there is a strong GPS signal and the iPad's gps system is working properly.  Yet features in the DJI go 4 app that require GPS from the display device do not work reliably.

What happened to the accuracy issues you mentioned?

I don't know why the DJI go 4 app does not accept the iPads GPS coordinates.   
As I was hinting, it looks like the app can't find any GPS location data.

The signal from the GPS is not weak, but the DJI go 4 app thinks that it is.

There's no such thing as weak GPS signal.  When DJI say weak GPS signal, they mean no GPS signal.

Using GPS diagnostic software shows that there is a strong GPS signal and the iPad's gps system is working properly.
As the actual status of the iPad's GPS system is critical to the issue, can you show a screenshot so we can see what the GPS app is indicating?

Why are you wanting to reset the home point to the location of the controller?
There are very few situations where this would be necessary and in most of those, it's just as good to use the Phantom's current location as the controller's.
2018-8-21
Use props
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
United States

When you are traveling while shooting, as in any session at sea you need to set the home point to the controllers current position.  The feature is there for good reason.  
2018-8-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fansed5d1cc0 Posted at 2018-8-21 20:36
When you are traveling while shooting, as in any session at sea you need to set the home point to the controllers current position.  The feature is there for good reason.

Setting the home position to the controllers position while moving in a boat does not do you much good, as soon as you set it, it is out of position a moment later. BTW, it is not dynamic, it does not keep setting to the current position.
2018-8-21
Use props
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
United States

You set the  home point to the boat so you can find it.  It does not need to be that accurate just enough to guide the drone near the boat.  It works fine I’ve been filmingmarine life at sea for years.  The boat and drone become widely separated and it can be impossible to see a small boat in the open ocean from distance.  You set the home point so you fly in the correct direction when you want to return.

2018-8-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansed5d1cc0 Posted at 2018-8-21 20:36
I fly from a boat and have experience with having to reset the home point.
But you don't want the Phantom landing on the boat.
The main reason you reset the homepoint is to prevent the Phantom attempting RTH because it is far from the launch point.
Resetting to the Phantom's location achieves the same thing.

No comment on the other points I raised?
I think I may have found the solution.

2018-8-21
Use props
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
United States

someone on deck grabs the drone struts.  You need to set the home point to the controller to find the boat in the open ocean when the drone and boat are far apart.  You can even do return to hone and then cancel once the drone or boat comes into view.  
2018-8-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansed5d1cc0 Posted at 2018-8-21 20:56
someone on deck grabs the drone struts.  You need to set the home point to the controller to find the boat in the open ocean when the drone and boat are far apart.  You can even do return to hone and then cancel once the drone or boat comes into view.

If you fly far from your boat and can't find your Phantom, you might need to reset to the controllers location.
As I've been suggesting, it sounds like the app is not getting any GPS location data from your iPad.

I don't use an apple device so I've had to do some digging to find out how Location Services work in the iPad.
It looks like you can have GPS working in the iPad but an app might not have access to the GPS information.
That would account for the issue you describe.

Look at the last screen here and you might find your solution:
http://devicehelp.optus.com.au/a ... y-tablet-on-or-off/
2018-8-21
Use props
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
United States

If you try and set the home point to the controllers position it will work occasionally but not often.  About 1 in 50 or so tries will work, just standing there and retrying.  I think it gets the gps position from the iPad but usually rejects it.
The go 4 app has location privileges and gps is on and working properly since all other apps show gps fine as stated earlier.  Gps diagnostic shows gps is enabled and working on this iPad.  
2018-8-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansed5d1cc0 Posted at 2018-8-21 21:14
If you try and set the home point to the controllers position it will work occasionally but not often.  About 1 in 50 or so tries will work, just standing there and retrying.  I think it gets the gps position from the iPad but usually rejects it.
The go 4 app has location privileges and gps is on and working properly since all other apps show gps fine as stated earlier.  Gps diagnostic shows gps is enabled and working on this iPad.

Go to Location Services and check to see if you have it enabled for DJI Go
2018-8-21
Use props
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
United States

It’s enabled, and the app has used the location recently.  That was never an issue.
2018-8-21
Use props
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
United States

I tested some more today in more central locations.  The problem persists.  I reset my iPad using erase all content and settings, and re-installed the DJI GO 4 App and nothing else.  The problem persists.

Interestingly I CAN use the Follow Me Flight mode without any issues.  It shows the GPS Signal strength as strong and almost certainly uses the GPS coordinates from the Display Device since it has to keep track of where I am moving with the controller.

So FOLLOW ME FLIGHT MODE works fine on this iPad Mini 4, the drone always has 16 satellites and the iPad Mini 4 GPS services are working properly and the DJI GO 4 App is using them, I can see that from the location history for the app.

But trying to set the home point to the Controllers location generally DOES NOT work, you get the  "The mobile device's GPS signal is weak and its location cannot be acquired" error when you try and set it.

About 1 in 20 or 1 in 30 tries it WILL correctly let you set the home point but most of the time, regardless of GPS signal strength at the iPad you get  "The mobile device's GPS signal is weak and its location cannot be acquired"

I updated the app to todays release as well, since I reset the iPad after the new  app was uploaded to the app store.

PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM IT HAS PERSISTED FOR MONTHS!
2018-8-23
Use props
Claude06
lvl.1
France

Why this bug has not been resolved for over a year now.
I have the same problem with my ipad mini 4. Its GPS works very well with all other applications.
I fly regularly by starting the mavic 2 Pro from my boat. It is therefore essential to change the rth of the take-off point by the rth to the controller. It works with my android phone, with my android tablet (Huawei BTV-DL09), but with my ipad, I have this damn message of poor reception of my controller (weak gps signal).
So if I lose sight of my drone at sea, I have no opportunity to return it to me except to try to find the boat with the help of the camera of the drone provided there is no loss of signal.
If some people wonder why I do not continue to fly using my Android tablet, it's for 2 reasons.
1- DJI GO 4 is in French only on apple (I am french)
2- On android we also have the ability to quickly access the change of rth by scrolling the screen. Forced to go to the menu to do this manipulation.
PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM IT HAS PERSISTED FOR YEARS !
2019-7-9
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

Did you try to reinstall the app?
2023-1-15
Use props
quantacom
New

Pakistan

Quantacom is a leading technology company based in Australia that provides cutting-edge solutions for communication and information processing. With a focus on innovation and expertise in computer science, mathematics, and engineering, Quantacom offers a wide range of products and services to enhance communication, improve data management, and optimize information flow. From enterprise-level solutions to consumer-friendly products, Quantacom is dedicated to revolutionizing the way people interact with each other and access information. Visit https://quantacom.com.au/
2023-3-7
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

2023-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules